Author Topic: Why are we paying Zeller $8 million?  (Read 11209 times)

Re: Why are we paying Zeller $8 million?
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2016, 05:12:10 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Because Zeller can play when given a fair chance...Two years ago they let him play and everybody was going on about how much of a steal he was from Cleveland...Let him play, gain confidence, and he will produce good numbers...

I agree. I think he has potential as a backup stretch 5 (prob not back to the 3pt line), but one that can run the floor and complete fast breaks. In theory, he should be better at finishing a fast break than someone as short as Isaiah. He has shown flashes of getting up and down the floor, which has value in this league. Other than that, he's a tall JAG who likely won't be a top 8 player.

I don't care about how much we spend on players on short term deals. I'm not sure I see any other significant FA moves.

« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2016, 06:01:04 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Because Zeller can play when given a fair chance...Two years ago they let him play and everybody was going on about how much of a steal he was from Cleveland...Let him play, gain confidence, and he will produce good numbers...

I agree. I think he has potential as a backup stretch 5 (prob not back to the 3pt line), but one that can run the floor and complete fast breaks. In theory, he should be better at finishing a fast break than someone as short as Isaiah. He has shown flashes of getting up and down the floor, which has value in this league. Other than that, he's a tall JAG who likely won't be a top 8 player.

I don't care about how much we spend on players on short term deals. I'm not sure I see any other significant FA moves.
He did "well" during the regular season and at a time in which we were surprising teams by not tanking for a pick.

IMO it was a very bad move unless we make a trade. DA just keeps on making bad moves.

« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2016, 06:23:10 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
8 million a year?  For the love of, Jon Koncak.
 I thought it was 8 million for 2 years!
 I thought, okay, now we can trade him. 
But 8 million dollars a year?
16 million big ones!
16 million dollars!

11.8 minutes per game.  6.1 points per game  3 rebounds per game

In terms we can all understand.  That is 1.3 million dollars a point per game.  That is 2.6 million dollars a rebound per game.

Something is terribly wrong here.  Is this the alternate universe?

There must be a trade.
There must be a trade
repeat after me,
There must be a trade!

"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2016, 06:24:15 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
+1. The CB crowd is fickle sometimes. Zeller has had one good year and one subpar year with Boston. They overpaid to ensure a one year deal basically. They really don't lose anything. It's not like they are going to sign anyone in FA at this point. Might as well keep something you already know.

« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2016, 06:25:20 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

He did "well" during the regular season and at a time in which we were surprising teams by not tanking for a pick.

IMO it was a very bad move unless we make a trade. DA just keeps on making bad moves.
Why is it a bad move?

« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2016, 07:06:36 PM »

Offline ChefEricT

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 16
Next offseason having an $8 million non-guaranteed contract could be very helpful facilitating a trade. 
Mock Deadline Denver Nuggets
Nurcic/Henson
Patterson/Bennett/Arthur
Ross/Budinger
Miller/Hunter/Foye
Rubio/Ennis/Bayless

« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2016, 07:22:13 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
One reason is that the Celtics do need a legitimate bench big and bringing back Zeller is better than exhuming the corpse of Kendrick Perkins for the minimum.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2016, 08:12:19 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Would have rather had Sully for one year at $8 million but perhaps he wanted a change of scenery (or we did).
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2016, 08:36:34 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Would have rather had Sully for one year at $8 million but perhaps he wanted a change of scenery (or we did).

It's not about $8M this year, it's about next year. He'd taken the $8M here easily I'd think, but probably didn't care for a non-guaranteed contract next year (and probably didn't care for the risk of playing at that money also).

Who knows, but I feel like this type of contact was offered to Sully first. He clearly out played Zeller, plus his cap hold was lower, so with that in mind I'm sure he was Ainge's first choice for this type of deal with no future commitments.

Now if the choice was for a longer commitment, I think Zeller would've been Ainge's guy most probably. In the end Zeller remained regardless.

« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2016, 09:59:07 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
8 million a year?  For the love of, Jon Koncak.
 I thought it was 8 million for 2 years!
 I thought, okay, now we can trade him. 
But 8 million dollars a year?
16 million big ones!
16 million dollars!

11.8 minutes per game.  6.1 points per game  3 rebounds per game

In terms we can all understand.  That is 1.3 million dollars a point per game.  That is 2.6 million dollars a rebound per game.

Something is terribly wrong here.  Is this the alternate universe?

There must be a trade.
There must be a trade
repeat after me,
There must be a trade!

He has to do a lot better than 3 rebounds per game.

« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2016, 12:43:31 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
He's coming off a bad season, but that's probably his market value. Why would we overpay for a salary filler? That makes no sense -- another team is not going to want to absorb him in a trade unless they feel he is of value.

Nope, teams would be willing to absorb him in a trade because its a 1 year deal. Add the fact that teams can send cash (not that they should) to pay for his salary, and this makes it easier for salary matching and this deal sounds reasonable.

« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2016, 01:10:51 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Why would a FO, considering trading their superstar (not gonna happen) want Zeller, as salary filler at 8 mil, instead of Bradley at 6.5, IT / crowder at 6? Silly notion to me. Landing a superstar will require a BKN pick and players.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 01:15:53 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2016, 01:31:28 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Why would a FO, considering trading their superstar (not gonna happen) want Zeller, as salary filler at 8 mil, instead of Bradley at 6.5, IT / crowder at 6? Silly notion to me. Landing a superstar will require a BKN pick and players.

I think the idea is adding Zeller to one of those others you mention in order to match a superstar salary.   The players we are after make at least 10M more than the likes of Jae, AB and Thomas.  Paying Zeller allows us to keep the better big (Amir) out of those kind of deals.  Makes some sense.   

« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2016, 01:36:58 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

I think the idea is adding Zeller to one of those others you mention in order to match a superstar salary.   The players we are after make at least 10M more than the likes of Jae, AB and Thomas.  Paying Zeller allows us to keep the better big (Amir) out of those kind of deals.  Makes some sense.   

Yeah, I don't know... it's possible. Maybe there are some teams that covet Zeller. He struggled this year but was solid and efficient the year before. So flexibility, in that way, makes some sense to me. I just doubt he would be coveted by very many rebuilding teams.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2016, 01:42:03 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

Yeah, I don't know... it's possible. Maybe there are some teams that covet Zeller. He struggled this year but was solid and efficient the year before. So flexibility, in that way, makes some sense to me. I just doubt he would be coveted by very many rebuilding teams.

For sure.  I doubt anyone is calling for Zeller.   But it's better to have him in a deal with, say, AB and a pick, than needing to add several lower $ prospects, or Amir for the sole purpose of matching salary.    The 1+1 just makes it palatable, and we get to keep better players in green should such a deal present itself.