Author Topic: Perfect Timing: 2020  (Read 1488 times)

Perfect Timing: 2020
« on: July 25, 2016, 01:19:52 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 616
The "who is tanking" thread got me thinking about the picks again, and I realised that in 2020 Free agency, Horford, if he hasn't requested a trade to a contender by then, could well still be playing great BBall at 34, like Duncan. Presuming Bird Rights are still a part of the CBA we could have another era starting then.

Your 2020 team could be absolutely devastating. 2 more top 5 rookies if Brooklyn goes to plan. Prime Smart/Brown. Memphis pick activated.

Trading away assets now in the Curry/LeBron era seems silly frankly. And who knows, maybe Crowder goes even further into beast mode and single-handedly wins us a random Dallas/Detroit type ring.

Last week's "Do nothing" thread just makes too much sense. Simply no need to take a risk on Boogie or Blake. Say what you will about Westbrook, but it's still a gamble of sorts. The deck is loaded and we are on the big stack.

Literally the ONLY problem now is finding your Top 3 guy. Shame about Durant.

erratic rant/
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

Re: Perfect Timing: 2020
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 01:34:13 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
The "who is tanking" thread got me thinking about the picks again, and I realised that in 2020 Free agency, Horford, if he hasn't requested a trade to a contender by then, could well still be playing great BBall at 34, like Duncan. Presuming Bird Rights are still a part of the CBA we could have another era starting then.

Your 2020 team could be absolutely devastating. 2 more top 5 rookies if Brooklyn goes to plan. Prime Smart/Brown. Memphis pick activated.

Trading away assets now in the Curry/LeBron era seems silly frankly. And who knows, maybe Crowder goes even further into beast mode and single-handedly wins us a random Dallas/Detroit type ring.

Last week's "Do nothing" thread just makes too much sense. Simply no need to take a risk on Boogie or Blake. Say what you will about Westbrook, but it's still a gamble of sorts. The deck is loaded and we are on the big stack.

Literally the ONLY problem now is finding your Top 3 guy. Shame about Durant.

erratic rant/
unfortunately thats the hardest thing to do in this league.

i mean there are only 3 of those guys.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 01:48:34 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Exactly how I've felt.

We are gonna be winning for the next few years. And once guys like Isaiah and Al get older and can't contribute nearly as much, it's fine. We have at least 2 top 5 picks who have hopefully grown into legitimate studs. We keep the guys we have. And we hand the keys to the younger dudes, who are ready to take the league by storm. We keep winning, and everyone is happy.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 02:06:00 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Yeah, strongly agree with you guys. That '17 pick is going to be incredible in itself, and our window of contention is a few years off (but coming). Brown is intriguing, and maybe Smart makes that leap that we really need to become a serious factor.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 02:13:58 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 06:02:18 AM »

Offline celticbos

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 5
Lets not forget we have cap space next year and would still have those draft picks.

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 11:57:14 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145

Literally the ONLY problem now is finding your Top 3 guy.

Westbrook...

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 01:10:38 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
You do realize that Thomas and Bradley make a combined $15 million/year for this season and next. If you want them after that, the price tag will be in the general neighborhood of $45 million/ year combined. On this site it always seems to be next years free agency, next years fantastic draft, or wait until the trade deadline. Sometimes "now" is a good time.

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 01:59:38 PM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
You do realize that Thomas and Bradley make a combined $15 million/year for this season and next. If you want them after that, the price tag will be in the general neighborhood of $45 million/ year combined. On this site it always seems to be next years free agency, next years fantastic draft, or wait until the trade deadline. Sometimes "now" is a good time.

Patience is hard, but I believe that Danny isn't just trying to build a contender.  My guess he is intent on using the Brooklyn bonanza to provide a steady infusion of talent over the next few years to try and create a Spurs-style dynasty.  Tough to do and requires luck, but I'd love to see the C's hit an 8-10 year stretch of serious contention for a title and IMHO that's worth the wait.

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 02:11:31 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

True, but by then they will be more replaceable, if the numbers get silly.