Author Topic: Speculation: IT the impediment to Celtics getting that blockbuster trade  (Read 1774 times)

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
According to this publication trade partners insisting on IT is a major reason Celtics have been unable to make a deal.

http://fansided.com/2016/07/24/nba-rumors-celtics-not-trading-for-russell-westbrook-demarcus-cousins/

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Because we want to ADD to Thomas....not trade him....
Title makes it sound like he's the problem.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
It really makes no sense to deal IT unless it's part of a trade for Westbrook. Trading IT as part of a trade for an impact player might make us a little better, but limits the impact of acquiring the player.

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
If this is the case, then good.

I don't want to part with IT, either. He is our anchor at this point. I'd have a hard time believing that we'd even have Horford without him.

I'd rather we continue growing our talent, improving on our win total, and advancing deeper into the post season.

We've GOT to wait this out....if we hold onto what we have now, some of these teams will very well come to US before we have to go to THEM.

I have a feeling that teams like Utah, OKC, Clips, SAC, etc- will want to get SOMETHING in return prior to letting certain stars just walk...

Danny holds the cards.

I hope he doesn't reach for something that may very well fall into our hands.

I understand wanting the fireworks...I do, too - but NOT at the expense of reaching.

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I agree ..... that IT should not go out in a trade to get us a Center or wing.

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
According to this publication trade partners insisting on IT is a major reason Celtics have been unable to make a deal.

http://fansided.com/2016/07/24/nba-rumors-celtics-not-trading-for-russell-westbrook-demarcus-cousins/

The key words are "right now."

My belief is IT would be available in the right deal. Like Westbrook.

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I would trade IT 10 times out of 10 if Westbrook would commit to verbally re-sign.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
It is the most valuable Celtic since KG and PP. He is responsible for a culture of high level players wanting to be here. His value is far beyond what is on the court. If his play slips then or he demands a max contract that doesn't work then we can cross that bridge later.  But seriously. You want IT? Fine. Give us a top 7 player straight up with a  contract extension. Then we can talk. But not till then.

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I also agree IT for Westbrook is only trade that would make sense if you were dealing IT. But we all know Thunder want more than just IT and that is were the hold up is.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I also agree IT for Westbrook is only trade that would make sense if you were dealing IT. But we all know Thunder want more than just IT and that is were the hold up is.
Well if they want IT and a Brk pick we have to tell them to f themselves

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Meh, fansided is the platform for Hardwood Houdini, which is really nothing more than fans like us who have somehow been given permission to post anything that you could find under the 'transaction ideas and rumors' part of this blog, imo, except, you know, with spelling errors, lol ;D. Does anyone edit anything, anymore?

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Well if they want IT and a Brk pick we have to tell them to f themselves

I don't mind giving them a first round pick, but not an Brooklyn one. And lord knows, we have plenty of second rounds to definitely give the OKC some edge in drafting.

It is the most valuable Celtic since KG and PP. He is responsible for a culture of high level players wanting to be here. His value is far beyond what is on the court. If his play slips then or he demands a max contract that doesn't work then we can cross that bridge later.  But seriously. You want IT? Fine. Give us a top 7 player straight up with a  contract extension. Then we can talk. But not till then.

IT is an Celtic, especially considering how hes so friendly, and an actual genuine guy that you can talk to. He's humble, but hes also loud spoken, and not afraid to show his passion for the game with intensity. This guy can finish inside. I think he's always been underrated, but if Westbrook wanted to sign here with approval, and we could start the team with an Russell Westbrook, Horford, Crowder, Smart, and Bradley, phew, the sky is the limit. We would have cap space, and enough assets and then some.

Westbrook is a top 10 player, and can be erratic, and shoot a lot. But he's an huge upgrade over Isaiah Thomas, and certainly a fantastic player. Players like him don't grow on trees, and I feel like Ainge, Coach Stevens, and the fans could certainly entertain the idea in a pitch to Westbrook.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I think IT is a lot more valuable than certain Celtics fans realize. I hope he's a Celtic for a long time.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis