Author Topic: Danny missed out on Dejounte Murray and Patrick McCaw  (Read 8038 times)

Re: Danny missed out on Dejounte Murray and Patrick McCaw
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2016, 12:46:20 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
Isn't Dejounte Murray a point guard picked at #29?  No, I can't see why we would need mediocre combo guard.  I am glad we picked bigs at #16 and #23.  I think the stash factor was part of the decision over BPA but I am OK with that.  Very few players taken #16-#30 are going to make an impact their first year or two anyway.

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2016, 01:08:15 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2477
I guess triboy's fascination over Mickey have waned down.

Mickey is going to help this upcoming season. Looks good shooring the ball. He is still about 5-7 pounds/strengtg away to handle everyday grind
you might be right. but i wonder if his problem is less physical than mental. when i watched him on defense he seemed lost many times in terms of switches, positioning, etc.

if anyone can teach him to play better basketball, it is CBS. i am looking forward to seeing how micky develops this year. should be fun.

The whole team was missing rotations. That's what happens when you have a bunch of rookies playing together for the first time. It was chaotic, and I think Mickey was not as comfortable as usual. I watched him play in Maine many times last year and he was a MUCH better player defensively than what we saw in SL.

Also keep in mind he was coming off an injury. I wouldn't get too bent out of shape by his recent performance.

Mickey is an excellent prospect. I watch a lot of D-league, and, like Rozier (who i repeatedly defended last year after watching him run a legit offense and blow past guys in the D-league), Mickey has talent that far exceeds his peers there. He can dominate when he wants to, he almost single-handedly won a D-league playoff game in the 4th quarter last year by sheer will, as the rest of the team didn't show up at all.

His athleticism and timing on defense are fantastic, he plays much bigger than he is. His touch on offense is much better than you would think. The passing is creative and crisp, his shooting stroke is smooth, IMO he will be a decent 3pt shooter eventually. He instinctively knows how to play, and is a student of the game, modeling himself after Dennis Rodman.

This skill is in contrast to guys like Young, Frazier, etc who do not have a feel for the game, and also do not have the overwhelming athleticism to eventually compensate for their lack of skill.

At the very least Mickey is an NBA player. His career is still in its infancy. From the extensive number of games I've watched, he is far better than D-league level in almost every area. I am still high on him, let's not give up on the kid just yet, there's plenty of promise there.

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2016, 01:16:33 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Mickey and zeller are the extra bigs. Or if one of top 4 guys get injured (last year pretty healthy for the most part)

Mickey is a better overall defender than "stiff" zeller.

Zeller "experience factor" is no longer relevent (reason why he got min over 1st year rookie Mickey).

Mickey hopefully has recovered from his shoulder injury. He looked at 80 percent at SL

1. Mickey is a better shot blocker than Zeller, and defended well at the D-League level, but it's a little early to say he's a better defender than Zeller.  Let's see Mickey defend some NBA players first

2. Experience IS still relevant.  In most cases, Brad will go with the guys who he trusts more, and that will be Zeller.  Not to mention that a lack of experience wasn't the only reason Mickey didn't get playing time

Mickey is a fine prospect, but he's far from a finished product, and isn't ready to consistently contribute to a playoff team yet.  I think you're going to be surprised (again) by just how little he plays to start the year
I'm bitter.

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2016, 01:22:53 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Every gm misses out on a lot of players

Danny isn't the best drafter, but he's been solid with the picks he's had

I'm glad he's our gm

And i'm glad our owners are willing to spend. I think they learned their lesson after letting TA and posey walk
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2016, 01:38:45 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I guess triboy's fascination over Mickey have waned down.

Mickey is going to help this upcoming season. Looks good shooring the ball. He is still about 5-7 pounds/strengtg away to handle everyday grind
you might be right. but i wonder if his problem is less physical than mental. when i watched him on defense he seemed lost many times in terms of switches, positioning, etc.

if anyone can teach him to play better basketball, it is CBS. i am looking forward to seeing how micky develops this year. should be fun.

The whole team was missing rotations. That's what happens when you have a bunch of rookies playing together for the first time. It was chaotic, and I think Mickey was not as comfortable as usual. I watched him play in Maine many times last year and he was a MUCH better player defensively than what we saw in SL.

Also keep in mind he was coming off an injury. I wouldn't get too bent out of shape by his recent performance.

Mickey is an excellent prospect. I watch a lot of D-league, and, like Rozier (who i repeatedly defended last year after watching him run a legit offense and blow past guys in the D-league), Mickey has talent that far exceeds his peers there. He can dominate when he wants to, he almost single-handedly won a D-league playoff game in the 4th quarter last year by sheer will, as the rest of the team didn't show up at all.

His athleticism and timing on defense are fantastic, he plays much bigger than he is. His touch on offense is much better than you would think. The passing is creative and crisp, his shooting stroke is smooth, IMO he will be a decent 3pt shooter eventually. He instinctively knows how to play, and is a student of the game, modeling himself after Dennis Rodman.

This skill is in contrast to guys like Young, Frazier, etc who do not have a feel for the game, and also do not have the overwhelming athleticism to eventually compensate for their lack of skill.

At the very least Mickey is an NBA player. His career is still in its infancy. From the extensive number of games I've watched, he is far better than D-league level in almost every area. I am still high on him, let's not give up on the kid just yet, there's plenty of promise there.

Exactly

« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2016, 01:43:19 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
THIS JUST IN
Basketball forum poster wildly overreacts to non-NBA basketball games, declares major failure by NBA team management, and angrily posts highlight videos. Stay tuned for more details...

« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2016, 01:55:05 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
THIS JUST IN
Basketball forum poster wildly overreacts to non-NBA basketball games, declares major failure by NBA team management, and angrily posts highlight videos. Stay tuned for more details...

Just in. You are clueless lol

SL matters more than you think

« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2016, 02:24:36 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
THIS JUST IN

Jiri Welsch agrees

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2016, 02:29:35 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
THIS JUST IN

We added the 2nd biggest free agent in the league....the 3rd overall pick in a talented 19 yr old...

And we were a playoff team who won almost 50 games last year !!

Yet you're complaining about some dude named Patrick McCaw ?

« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2016, 02:43:07 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Dejounte Murray is probably my favorite early prospect in this draft and Patrick McCaw has shown to already be playing at what I expected his best case scenario to be at this point. They were great picks for teams that could afford to take a swing.

That being said it's way too early to say we missed on them, the picks we used were both draft and stashes. Just because they made sense for two essentially complete finals contenders who have the spot locked up already (Kawhi and Durant) doesn't mean it would have made sense for us to take create more competition behind the likes of Rozier, Smart, Hunter, and Jaylen Brown.

Draft and stash makes sense financially but it also makes sense to keep playing time in check. Our roster is loaded, Any minutes at spots where there's competition are accounted for. The expectations for Murray and McCaw on their current team's are perfect for their stage in development

PNot to take anything away from them as prospects, Murray is borderline elite at getting to the rack and McCaw reminds me of good Trevor Ariza. They were great picks. Here's hoping Demetrius Jackson, and the Euros can turn into players, definitely think Zizic has as much of a chance to succeed as Murray and McCaw.

« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2016, 03:19:15 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Dejounte Murray is probably my favorite early prospect in this draft and Patrick McCaw has shown to already be playing at what I expected his best case scenario to be at this point. They were great picks for teams that could afford to take a swing.

That being said it's way too early to say we missed on them, the picks we used were both draft and stashes. Just because they made sense for two essentially complete finals contenders who have the spot locked up already (Kawhi and Durant) doesn't mean it would have made sense for us to take create more competition behind the likes of Rozier, Smart, Hunter, and Jaylen Brown.

Draft and stash makes sense financially but it also makes sense to keep playing time in check. Our roster is loaded, Any minutes at spots where there's competition are accounted for. The expectations for Murray and McCaw on their current team's are perfect for their stage in development

PNot to take anything away from them as prospects, Murray is borderline elite at getting to the rack and McCaw reminds me of good Trevor Ariza. They were great picks. Here's hoping Demetrius Jackson, and the Euros can turn into players, definitely think Zizic has as much of a chance to succeed as Murray and McCaw.

Good write up

The knock on murray and mccaw are they are opposite of sully. Just need to workout, eat more. Get stronger.

Both players ball handling , passing and ability to finish around the basket are very very good.  Both remind me of livingstone
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 03:30:14 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2016, 04:02:26 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Ainge also missed out on the following:

Deyonta Davis
Ivica Zubac
Cheick Diallo
Tyler Ulis
Rade Zagorac
Malcolm Brogdon
Chinanu Onuaku
David Michineau
Diamond Stone
Stephen Zimmerman
Isaiah Whitehead
Zhou Qi
Isaia Cordinier
A.J. Hammons
Jake Layman
Paul Zipser
Michael Gbinije
Georges Niang
Joel Bolomboy
Petr Cornelie
Kay Felder
Marcus Paige
Daniel Hamilton
Wang Zhelin
Isaiah Cousins
Tyrone Wallace

and every single undrafted FA that will end up appearing on some other team's training camp roster.

How does he still have a job? SMH.

[/sarcasm]
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2016, 04:04:07 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
THIS JUST IN

Tyus Jones
Glen Rice
Kyle Anderson

your last 3 summer league MVPs.

It doesnt matter that much.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2016, 04:08:41 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Before the draft someone asked who the Paul Pierce of this draft would be.  I answered Dejounte Murray minus 40 pounds or so.  I was probably wrong, but dreams are nice.

« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2016, 04:15:06 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
THIS JUST IN

Tyus Jones
Glen Rice
Kyle Anderson

your last 3 summer league MVPs.

It doesnt matter that much.

Its not about who is the mvp

Look at murray/mccaw stats. Look like mvp numbers?

Its about their ability to get to the paint and score. And both are 6'5-6'6. Their ball handling and passing skills. Elite level quickness

It is not everyday these kind of players are available via draft.