Author Topic: Keith Smith's latest rumor updates out of vegas...C's not finished yet.  (Read 26187 times)

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
If you believe Smitty's latest post at RealGM, there's a helluva lot going on behind the scenes to bring Griffin, Pierce and Westbrook to Boston.  Ainge is persistent, and benefits from good relationships with Doc and Presti.

There is some talk even of doing a deal for Griffin without extension--which might be cheaper. Then getting Westbrook to create a contending team neither player would walk away from in a year. The kind of thing I alluded to in some previous posts.

I suspect Sam is trying to sign Westbrook right now. If he can't, I would expect him to deal him. And Ainge is right there at the door waiting with all the pieces.

Link to this?

Same link as the first post in this thread. The RealGM thread is 40+ pages long.

Smitty, by the way, doesn't think Ainge can pull it off. Two deals too big to do.
The caveat is all the things Ainge and even Doc are doing to set something up.

Doesn't think Ainge can pull it off, or is covering himself because he's just making crap up?  I'm going with the latter.

To be clear, does this mean you believe Ainge isn't attempting to make any more deals this summer?

I don't think discussions for Blake Griffin have ever been very serious, and I don't think he has the slightest clue what he's talking about.  I do think Ainge will complete at least one trade before the beginning of the season.  But as I've been saying the three weeks this rumor has somehow had legs (despite the fact that supposedly it was on the verge of being completed), that the conversation was approximately something like:

Ainge: Hey Doc, Griffin is a free agent next year -- what would the right offer be?
Doc: We really liked our chances last year if Paul and Blake didn't both get hurt vs. Portland, and we like them even more this year since it should be very possible to get the #2 seed, and no worse than the #3 seed.  So I need an All-Star who plays the 3 or the 4 in return.
Ainge: Makes sense.

And that was it.  If that.

I'm sure Ainge has made at least a casual inquiry on every star player in the league, from LeBron on down.  I'm sure he's offered IT and all three Brooklyn picks for Curry.  Ainge thinks big and will always swing for the fences.  But I do not remotely think that some guy who moderates a web forum and had a fantasy GM experience in Vegas suddenly found himself with high-level insider information.  He hasn't had a SINGLE trade proposal involving Blake that has worked for the salary cap.  Not one.  He's had some very specific proposals that he's put out there, that included fringe players like John Holland, and they've all been demonstrably false by the salary cap alone.  So, no, he's either been making it up from the beginning, because he's smart enough to know how to fool people, he got fooled and he's trying to walk it back without too much egg on his face, or he's still clueless.  I'm going with some combination of the first two.  But the Griffin deal is not happening now, was never remotely close, and will never happen.  I've been saying that from Day 1, and I stand by it with all the (small amount of) internet credibility I have.

So you do in fact think that Ainge has interest in Griffin, and if a deal doesn't happen it will be because Ainge couldn't make something work, rather than Ainge never being interested in the first place. Debate the RealGM guy's sources all you want, I don't care one way or the other. However, I have zero sources or connections and I'm wholly confident Ainge is trying to land at least one of Westbrook/Griffin, and both if possible, in a way that makes sense for Boston, a trade may or may not happen, but if it doesn't it'll be because the teams couldn't agree on a price, not because the discussion never happened.

Okay, ignore everything I said.  That's fine.  All I've said is that no deal is close, was close, or ever will be close to happening.  And that this guy is making crap up and stringing you along, and is now saying "Oh, well, Ainge will have tried, so I'll still be right."  That's utter nonsense.  If you want to believe him anyway, however, I can't help you.

I'm just annoyed his making crap up has dominated not only his own website, but this one as well, for the past three weeks.

Well, again, I think you're getting caught up in debating the credibility of random people on the internet and conflating that with whether Ainge is trying to make something happen. It could be entirely speculation and running with things overheard from people with no connections, but that's wholly separate from what is or isn't happening - sometimes speculation is right, and in this instance there's a very real likelihood that Ainge is targeting Blake irrespective of whether the RealGM guy knows what he's talking about.

Also, for what it worth, I don't believe the RealGM guy has ever said anything was close or imminent, just that Boston was trying to put a package together.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
If you believe Smitty's latest post at RealGM, there's a helluva lot going on behind the scenes to bring Griffin, Pierce and Westbrook to Boston.  Ainge is persistent, and benefits from good relationships with Doc and Presti.

There is some talk even of doing a deal for Griffin without extension--which might be cheaper. Then getting Westbrook to create a contending team neither player would walk away from in a year. The kind of thing I alluded to in some previous posts.

I suspect Sam is trying to sign Westbrook right now. If he can't, I would expect him to deal him. And Ainge is right there at the door waiting with all the pieces.

Link to this?

Same link as the first post in this thread. The RealGM thread is 40+ pages long.

Smitty, by the way, doesn't think Ainge can pull it off. Two deals too big to do.

Doesn't think Ainge can pull it off, or is covering himself because he's just making crap up?  I'm going with the latter.

To be clear, does this mean you believe Ainge isn't attempting to make any more deals this summer?

I don't think discussions for Blake Griffin have ever been very serious, and I don't think he has the slightest clue what he's talking about.  I do think Ainge will complete at least one trade before the beginning of the season.  But as I've been saying the three weeks this rumor has somehow had legs (despite the fact that supposedly it was on the verge of being completed), that the conversation was approximately something like:

Ainge: Hey Doc, Griffin is a free agent next year -- what would the right offer be?
Doc: We really liked our chances last year if Paul and Blake didn't both get hurt vs. Portland, and we like them even more this year since it should be very possible to get the #2 seed, and no worse than the #3 seed.  So I need an All-Star who plays the 3 or the 4 in return.

I'm sure Ainge has made at least a casual inquiry on every star player in the league, from LeBron on down.  I'm sure he's offered IT and all three Brooklyn picks for Curry.  Ainge thinks big and will always swing for the fences.  But I do not remotely think that some guy who moderates a web forum and had a fantasy GM experience in Vegas suddenly found himself with high-level insider information.  He hasn't had a SINGLE trade proposal involving Blake that has worked for the salary cap.  Not one.  He's had some very specific proposals that he's put out there, that included fringe players like John Holland, and they've all been demonstrably false by the salary cap alone.  So, no, he's either been making it up from the beginning, because he's smart enough to know how to fool people, he got fooled and he's trying to walk it back without too much egg on his face, or he's still clueless.  I'm going with some combination of the first two.  But the Griffin deal is not happening now, was never remotely close, and will never happen.  I've been saying that from Day 1, and I stand by it with all the (small amount of) internet credibility I have.

So you do in fact think that Ainge has interest in Griffin, and if a deal doesn't happen it will be because Ainge couldn't make something work, rather than Ainge never being interested in the first place. Debate the RealGM guy's sources all you want, I don't care one way or the other. However, I have zero sources or connections and I'm wholly confident Ainge is trying to land at least one of Westbrook/Griffin, and both if possible, in a way that makes sense for Boston, a trade may or may not happen, but if it doesn't it'll be because the teams couldn't agree on a price, not because the discussion never happened.

Okay, ignore everything I said.  That's fine.  All I've said is that no deal is close, was close, or ever will be close to happening.  And that this guy is making crap up and stringing you along, and is now saying "Oh, well, Ainge will have tried, so I'll still be right."  That's utter nonsense.  If you want to believe him anyway, however, I can't help you.

I'm just annoyed his making crap up has dominated not only his own website, but this one as well, for the past three weeks.

Well, again, I think you're getting caught up in debating the credibility of random people on the internet and conflating that with whether Ainge is trying to make something happen. It could be entirely speculation and running with things overheard from people with no connections, but that's wholly separate from what is or isn't happening - sometimes speculation is right, and in this instance there's a very real likelihood that Ainge is targeting Blake irrespective of whether the RealGM guy knows what he's talking about.

Also, for what it worth, I don't believe the RealGM guy has ever said anything was close or imminent, just that Boston was trying to put a package together.

The realGM dude has made a lot of statements designed to imply that some sort of trade is close to happening, and not that a two minute conversation might have occurred.  He implied that Ainge and others flew to San Diego to sell Blake on signing an extension with the Celtics.  He implied that people sharing his forum posts got him into trouble because it somehow killed a deal.

This entire thread is about what this RealGM guy has said -- it's in the frickin title.  Of course I'm going to debate that he's a fraud here.  And there are at least three other similar threads, all based on that dude's supposed knowledge, and that's just at this website alone.  I assure you there would not be so many threads if he hadn't done his very best to say that something might happen.

If you want to say "I think that Ainge has asked about players, and therefore I'm correct" then go ahead.  But that's not what has caused this conversation.  It is very explicit posts with explicit "this is what I've heard the deal will be" pieces of information from "multiple sources."

Anyway, dude is making things up.  Whether he's fooling himself because he's a Celtics fan and taking a bunch of people with him for the ride, or misleading people on purpose because he likes the attention, I can't say for sure. I'd guess it started out as the former and morphed into the latter.  By regardless, if you don't believe the guy either, then don't debate me about not believing him!

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Is it too late for this?

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum

Link to this?

The realGM dude has made a lot of statements designed to imply that some sort of trade is close to happening, and not that a two minute conversation might have occurred.  He implied that Ainge and others flew to San Diego to sell Blake on signing an extension with the Celtics.  He implied that people sharing his forum posts got him into trouble because it somehow killed a deal.

This entire thread is about what this RealGM guy has said -- it's in the frickin title.  Of course I'm going to debate that he's a fraud here.  And there are at least three other similar threads, all based on that dude's supposed knowledge, and that's just at this website alone.  I assure you there would not be so many threads if he hadn't done his very best to say that something might happen.

If you want to say "I think that Ainge has asked about players, and therefore I'm correct" then go ahead.  But that's not what has caused this conversation.  It is very explicit posts with explicit "this is what I've heard the deal will be" pieces of information from "multiple sources."

Anyway, dude is making things up.  Whether he's fooling himself because he's a Celtics fan and taking a bunch of people with him for the ride, or misleading people on purpose because he likes the attention, I can't say for sure. I'd guess it started out as the former and morphed into the latter.  By regardless, if you don't believe the guy either, then don't debate me about not believing him!

This isn't about whether or not I, or anyone should, believe the guy. To be perfectly straightforward, you've gotten so worked up over whether or not people should believe a guy on twitter you've dismissed outright the possibility of Ainge going after one of the 3 or 4 most likely Boston targets over the next couple months, which seems unwise. I mean, really, if in the fall Himmelsbach mentions in an article that Ainge held discussions with the Clippers but they couldn't agree on a package, do you plan on admitting you were wrong?

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
Regardless of whether a deal gets done, this summer's speculation has been way better than last summer's.

Mike

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Link to this?

This isn't about whether or not I, or anyone should, believe the guy. To be perfectly straightforward, you've gotten so worked up over whether or not people should believe a guy on twitter you've dismissed outright the possibility of Ainge going after one of the 3 or 4 most likely Boston targets over the next couple months, which seems unwise. I mean, really, if in the fall Himmelsbach mentions in an article that Ainge held discussions with the Clippers but they couldn't agree on a package, do you plan on admitting you were wrong?

I haven't dismissed that Ainge will go after Griffin.  I have dismissed that there is any workable deal between the teams such that conversations progress beyond Ainge letting Doc know of his interest.  Not to mention that I find the probability pretty low that Blake would sign an extension, which would be a prerequisite for a deal.  And I have dismissed that an internet dude had any kind of insider information.  That is all, and remains all, I have dismissed.

And sure, if Himmelsbach or Bulpett write an article with a single named source that is not Keith Smith, saying the Celtics made a strong but ultimately unsuccessful push for Griffin, I will absolutely admit I was wrong.  But that's not going to happen any more than an actual Griffin trade will.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
You REALLY don't like reading, do you?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline i believe in brad

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 30

You seem to be reacting to him the same way most people react to deadmik3, but I think the 2 are on completely different levels.  That deadmik3 dude is literally some random fan with not even a hint of a real connection to any nba insiders.  He very clearly is obsessed with twitter followers, attention, going back and forth with fans, etc.

Smitty is completely different from these random wannabe Wojs.  He is around NBA circles, writes respectable articles on the game with interviews and such, and has reiterated multiple times he does not give out these tid-bits that he's heard because he wants to scoop the insiders.  If he just wanted attention, to create a buzz, or to predict big trades before they come out, why wouldn't he just go straight to twitter every single time like the deadmik3s of the world?  It's because he actually is trying to build a reputation as an NBA writer.  You're not going to gain any respect by tweeting out fake trade rumors and speculation.

For me it's pretty easy to see who might have legit connections and who is making Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. up.  Deadmik3 literally proclaimed the Griffin deal would be announced over a week ago.  He fights with fans, makes fun of people, flip flops, and doesn't even understand basic facts about the NBA (he once claimed celts were giving up first, seconds, and THIRD rounders in a Griffin deal!)  Smitty just doesn't come off the same way, he is a professional.  He passes on info that he hears, and admits that was he hears might not be 100% credible.  I don't understand why someone would want to lie about info that they themselves admit might not be 100% credible?

I suggest you go read some of his work, he's not the clown you pin him to be.

FYI I frequent both forums and value many posters on each.

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Is it too late for this?

it's never too late for some SAUCES!
I trust Danny Ainge

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
You REALLY don't like reading, do you?

My problem is that I actually do read what's posted. Saltlover's the one that said a Griffin deal never was and never will progress beyond initial inquiries, not me. To me, it seems logical that Ainge is going to at least try to push for something in the next few months.

Re: Keith Smith's latest rumor updates out of vegas...C's not finished yet.
« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2016, 02:11:41 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
He moderates that cesspool of a forum.  That's all I need to know about his credibility.

Lol. I'm not buying it either.

Edit: "But these are sources I trust implicitly so I'm sharing."  Wow. He is a man with a plan. I'll place all of his validity on whether or not these blockbusters occur within the next "week and a half."
You guys might be right as it seems like he got afraid of getting exposed ::):
Alright guys. Well what I posted here is now being screen grabbed and posted on Twitter. I apologize to vast majority who are great about it, but I'm not putting this stuff on Twitter for a reason. It isn't strong enough for that as I have explained before.

I'm going to have to refrain from posting stuff on here once again. I can't have it being put on Twitter. I apologize once again to everyone who has been so cool, but that is a serious no go on my side of things

A "rumor" not strong enough for Twitter = fan fiction.

It's not strong enough for the hundreds of people who follow his twitter, but it's strong enough for the thousands of people who read those forum threads.  Yeah, ok. 

« Reply #101 on: July 27, 2016, 03:15:57 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

You seem to be reacting to him the same way most people react to deadmik3, but I think the 2 are on completely different levels.  That deadmik3 dude is literally some random fan with not even a hint of a real connection to any nba insiders.  He very clearly is obsessed with twitter followers, attention, going back and forth with fans, etc.

Smitty is completely different from these random wannabe Wojs.  He is around NBA circles, writes respectable articles on the game with interviews and such, and has reiterated multiple times he does not give out these tid-bits that he's heard because he wants to scoop the insiders.  If he just wanted attention, to create a buzz, or to predict big trades before they come out, why wouldn't he just go straight to twitter every single time like the deadmik3s of the world?  It's because he actually is trying to build a reputation as an NBA writer.  You're not going to gain any respect by tweeting out fake trade rumors and speculation.

For me it's pretty easy to see who might have legit connections and who is making **** up.  Deadmik3 literally proclaimed the Griffin deal would be announced over a week ago.  He fights with fans, makes fun of people, flip flops, and doesn't even understand basic facts about the NBA (he once claimed celts were giving up first, seconds, and THIRD rounders in a Griffin deal!)  Smitty just doesn't come off the same way, he is a professional.  He passes on info that he hears, and admits that was he hears might not be 100% credible.  I don't understand why someone would want to lie about info that they themselves admit might not be 100% credible?

I suggest you go read some of his work, he's not the clown you pin him to be.

FYI I frequent both forums and value many posters on each.

Preach. TP.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #102 on: July 27, 2016, 03:37:21 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
He moderates that cesspool of a forum.  That's all I need to know about his credibility.

Edit: "But these are sources I trust implicitly so I'm sharing."  Wow. He is a man with a plan. I'll place all of his validity on whether or not these blockbusters occur within the next "week and a half."
Alright guys. Well what I posted here is now being screen grabbed and posted on Twitter. I apologize to vast majority who are great about it, but I'm not putting this stuff on Twitter for a reason. It isn't strong enough for that as I have explained before.

I'm going to have to refrain from posting stuff on here once again. I can't have it being put on Twitter. I apologize once again to everyone who has been so cool, but that is a serious no go on my side of things

It's not strong enough for the hundreds of people who follow his twitter, but it's strong enough for the thousands of people who read those forum threads.  Yeah, ok.

I think he made a mistake in identifying himself on the forums and providing his twitter handle. He did this in part to prove he was legit (not just some random dude). But now anything he says on the forums is linked to his rep on twitter.

He takes his side gig as an NBA guy seriously. The forums are just for fun. Now the two worlds are mixed for him and he has to pull back.

« Reply #103 on: July 27, 2016, 03:47:03 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

I think he made a mistake in identifying himself on the forums and providing his twitter handle. He did this in part to prove he was legit (not just some random dude). But now anything he says on the forums is linked to his rep on twitter.

He takes his side gig as an NBA guy seriously. The forums are just for fun. Now the two worlds are mixed for him and he has to pull back.

It seems like the mistake he made was believing that the Celtics calling the Clippers about Blake Griffin was the same thing as being close to a trade.

« Reply #104 on: July 27, 2016, 04:11:29 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

It seems like the mistake he made was believing that the Celtics calling the Clippers about Blake Griffin was the same thing as being close to a trade.

Hmmm... I'm just not sure he made that mistake. Could you point me to it?