Author Topic: Keith Smith's latest rumor updates out of vegas...C's not finished yet.  (Read 26028 times)

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Fan fiction, based on multiple sauces.

Somebody likes the attention he's getting.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I know this guy is supposed to be semi-credible but the way he phrases it just makes me think he's making it all up.

What makes him semi-credible? Because he's covering summer league?  Because fellow rumor mongers on RealGM vouch for him?

I've covered NBA events with press credentials. I converse with front office employees with various NBA team. Strangely, I've never seen the deluge of loose-lipped sources who know intimate details.

Your instincts are correct: either Smitty or his sauces are making this up.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Smitty is like some of the others with anonymous sources. People who are involved with  the NBA and have an ear to the talk. Maybe even leakers. These are probably rumors with some legs to them. Though the details aren't perfect. Kind of like the Deep Throat guy in the Watergate scandal.

Beat writers for teams--guys like Bulpett, can't report this stuff. They can only report what the team approves. Indeed, even guys like Bulpett could be an "anonymous source"!

Agree. Heck, Smitty was the very first guy to report the Blake talks.
Then it was confirmed by Sean Deveney (who remains the only person who said there were recent talks). FWIW, Deveney was also the first to report the Green signing.

So far he's been right about:
- Sully leaving
-signing zeller to the additional year
-guaranteeing Jackson for one year

Not astounding but certainly not making this stuff up. He's just relaying what he's been told. Who knows what level of connectedness applies.

No guarantees in this business. The doubters can doubt, but absolutes are out. Either way.

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Not buying it until Lifvshaft confirms 😜

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
It doesn't have to be true as long as I believe it.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Smitty is like some of the others with anonymous sources. People who are involved with  the NBA and have an ear to the talk. Maybe even leakers. These are probably rumors with some legs to them. Though the details aren't perfect. Kind of like the Deep Throat guy in the Watergate scandal.

Beat writers for teams--guys like Bulpett, can't report this stuff. They can only report what the team approves. Indeed, even guys like Bulpett could be an "anonymous source"!

Agree. Heck, Smitty was the very first guy to report the Blake talks.
Then it was confirmed by Sean Deveney (who remains the only person who said there were recent talks). FWIW, Deveney was also the first to report the Green signing.

So far he's been right about:
- Sully leaving
-signing zeller to the additional year
-guaranteeing Jackson for one year

Not astounding but certainly not making this stuff up. He's just relaying what he's been told. Who knows what level of connectedness applies.

No offense, but the "Sully leaving" thing was him reading an NBA transactions report.  I had started a thread two days earlier saying either he or Zeller had to have been rescinded on that Friday.  This was not anything special.

Zeller getting a 1+1 deal was also highly logical, especially once Sully was out of the picture.  Again, it's something that I and many posters have been saying was possible for weeks if not months.

I didn't see him saying Jackson gets the first year guaranteed, but some Boston beat writer tweeted on draft night (Himmelsbach I think) that Jackson was going to be on the Celtics this year, so again, saying that Jackson would get a year guaranteed is wholly unimpressive.  One could have concluded the same thing from reading the tweets of maligned beat writers who apparently aren't allowed to say anything ever, according to this thread.

Finally, as I pointed out at the beginning of this thread, neither of the two proposals he's "hearing" for Griffin work with the salary cap.  So I can say, point blank, that neither deal will happen.  He theoretically maintains a database of everyone's salaries, so it shouldn't be difficult to realize that there's a problem with his information before reporting it, but he either doesn't know enough to realize it or doesn't care.  Neither is a good luck for someone trying to convince people that he's "in the know."
So......  You're a sauce?  ;D

If I am he's got even less going for him than I thought :)

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
Finally, as I pointed out at the beginning of this thread, neither of the two proposals he's "hearing" for Griffin work with the salary cap. 

Not addressing at all the validity of the rumor... But unless I'm missing something they do work:

Griffin + Pierce make $23.6m

Amir, Jerebko, Mickey and Holland make $19m

LAC is taking on less salary so it works for them. BOS has $4.6M in caproom after signing Green, Zeller and Jackson. If BOS didn't have room it'd still work bc they could take back 125% of $19m which is $23.75
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Finally, as I pointed out at the beginning of this thread, neither of the two proposals he's "hearing" for Griffin work with the salary cap. 

Not addressing at all the validity of the rumor... But unless I'm missing something they do work:

LAC is taking on less salary so it works for them. BOS has $4.6M in caproom after signing Green, Zeller and Jackson. If BOS didn't have room it'd still work bc they could take back 125% of $19m which is $23.75

You're missing out on the fact that Griffin has a 15% trade kicker.  Then incoming salary for Boston would be $26.7 million.

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all

You're missing out on the fact that Griffin has a 15% trade kicker.  Then incoming salary for Boston would be $26.7 million.

Ah ha. Forgot about that.
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Can't we trade for Deandre instead of Griffin?  Just seems like a better fit to me.

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Danny Ainge has been setting records for most transactions in a season the past couple years. 

Any idiot paying attention can safely assume Danny isn't done considering the new season is just about to start and his nickname isn't Trader Danny for no reason.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Can't we trade for Deandre instead of Griffin?  Just seems like a better fit to me.
I think we should trade for LeBron, LaMarcus Aldridge and Klay Thompson. Fantastic fits.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I don't buy it for a second, but if the Celtics somehow landed Blake Griffin for Amir Johnson, Terry Rozier and a non-Brooklyn 1st, I'd probably build a statue for Ainge.

Ya I don't see how Sac trades Rudy Gay for only Rozier, feel like other players would have to be included. Terry had a dynamite summer league but he's still largely unproven.

Love the idea of trading for Pierce and Griffin. Jaylen couldn't ask for a better mentor and Blake Griffin/Horford could stand with any front court in the league.

I played around with the trade machine for a 3 team trade involving us, the Kings, and the Clippers based using the values roughly of the assets going out in options 4a and b.

I have:
Clippers receive Amir Johnson and Gay and 2 non Nets picks from us.
We receive Griffin and Pierce.
Kings receive Jonas, Holland, and 2 out of Rozier, Hunter, and Young. Maybe another non net pick here.

It's probably too light on our end if we are not giving up a Nets pick or Crowder haha, but I'm really hesitant to give up either for a 1 year rental for Blake.

I've mentioned this elsewhere but we have a ton of leverage.  It only makes sense for a playoff caliber team and not a rebuilding one to take a chance for a 1 year rental.  We are one of the very few playoff teams that can put together the matching salaries and assets while not totally gutting our team.   Both Griffin and Gay for that matter can walk at the end of the year.  Better for those teams to get something rather than nothing like the Thunder with Durant.

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I think we should trade for LeBron, LaMarcus Aldridge and Klay Thompson. Fantastic fits.
and curry. how could you forget curry?  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
and curry. how could you forget curry?  ;D
I had to cut him from the list because he's not a "fantastic fit" with LeBron. These are the tough choices we have to make sometimes.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."