Author Topic: Keith Smith's latest rumor updates out of vegas...C's not finished yet.  (Read 26227 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

From RealGM by Keith 'Smitty731' Smith
http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1467630#start_here

1. Sources are split if Zeller has actually signed or just agreed. If he agreed, there is still the potential they could add a year on to the deal (also non-guaranteed) and still use him in a S&T. If he has actually signed, S&T is out as he can't be dealt until 12/15 and a S&T has to be for at least 3 seasons.

2. Another source told me that the intention behind signing Zeller and Green is to make it more palatable to trade other guys. This source is also convinced that in any trade with the Clippers, that Amir Johnson is the guy that LAC wants because he would give them good depth behind Jordan and can play next to him.

3. One source says that the dream is both Griffin and Westbrook, but that Boston recognizes that is highly unlikely. This source continues to insist that one or both will be in green by the start of the year and probably by the end of July. Not sure how much I buy in to that timing.

4. If the deal is with LAC for Griffin and Pierce there are two versions floating around:

A. Amir Johnson, Jae Crowder, and John Holland and 1 1st round pick (not necessarily a BRK pick)
B. Amir Johnson, Jonas Jerebko, Jordan Mickey and John Holland and 1 BRK pick

5. In relation to the above, Sacramento is not currently in. If they get back in, Boston would like to tweak the deal to deliver LAC Rudy Gay, Amir Johnson and a 1st round pick (non-BRK) while Sacramento gets Terry Rozier and something else.

6. LAC is NOT shopping Blake Griffin, but they are listening. There is a major difference. Same with Sacramento and Rudy Gay.

7. On Westbrook:

A. The Celtics would love to have him, but have no intention of gutting the team so much that they can't contend.
B. Boston would love to work a trade that delivers them Westbrook using some combination of Marcus Smart, a BRK pick and players. The problem is salary matching gets tricky.

8. And probably the biggest news of all: Everyone I talked to said that IF Boston is willing to part with a current player of value AND at least 1 BRK pick, they will start the season with either Griffin or Westbrook in the lineup. It is simply a case of deciding to pull that trigger and make the leap. What the major hold up is that neither Griffin or Westbrook seem very interested in re-upping long term at this point. Both intend on hitting the market this summer.

9.Jackson is likely to be signed as insurance for Rozier or Smart being dealt to leave the Celtics with 3 PGs under contract.

10."Brown has NOT signed yet. Why not do that today when you used the rest of your cap space to re-sign Zeller and sign Green?"

11. "LAC is keeping that 15th roster spot open for a reason. And it isn't because of the looming hard cap for them. They want roster flexibility. Why do they need flexibility when they have no cap space and are close to the hard cap? Because of a potential trade."

12."Don't forget SAC hasn't gotten another PG yet. They need one bad with Collison's legal troubles. And they love Rozier."

13. One source is convinced Brown will be traded, thus why he hasn't signed yet.
Other source is saying he believes Brown will be backing up Pierce opening night with Crowder going out to LAC...
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
Well, that all makes sense.  I don't see us shipping a BRK pick for one year rentals though.

Offline straightouttabahstun

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
  • That's turrible
Interesting...i don't buy that last bit about Brown backing Pierce up on opening night. Paul Pierce is out of gas, as much of a legend as he is around these parts.

I can see the Amir/Crowder trade happening. I don't want to see it happen, but it makes too much sense. We need better big men and Danny really likes that BRK pick for '17.

Don't deal Brown. That kid works way too hard to not be at least of some use. He'll get real good developing under Brad Stevens.

Offline celticbos

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 5
I'm sure an agreement for an extension would have to be made for any deal to happen also, and that has been reported many times about any deals for Griffen or Westbrook.

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Smitty's post is exciting news. Perhaps there is some rhyme or reason to Danny paying Zeller more than most of his starters.

Doc has a good relationship with Danny, and it figures Griffin will go to Boston if he is traded. The issue is he hasn't decided yet about an extension, which seems critical for any of the deals discussed.

A couple of caveats: 1) those future Nets picks don't figure to be as high as the #3 this year, especially the 18 pick, and 2) trading w/o extension still gives you a re-signing advantage(Bird rights?). Doubt those Nets picks are valued by other teams as much as here. The point is, you trade for a Griffin, get into contention, and make conditions attractive for an extension.

All of those deals seem palatable to me, although the prospect of both Griffin and Westbrook looks like a stretch.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 12:16:28 PM by Bobshot »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Hate to ruin everyone's dream, but why has nobody else reported this?  I don't really believe the fact that he sits around summer league games and people just tell him everything.  I hope we open up the season with Griffin and Westbrook but I highly doubt it.

Has this guy broke any news?  I know he said KD was leaning towards GSW, but has he said anything else credible?  I hope it's true but I am not getting my hopes up.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Considering neither 4A nor 4B work with the salary cap, I'm going to move on from these.

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
comical... this guy thinks he is in the NBA inner circle with the top execs

none of this are true or even a rumor...we all need to stop reading this BS

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
Blake's Injury history worries me a bit.  I would do the deal if it was based around just Jae and Amir but I'm not interested in trading a Brooklyn pick.

Blake had a bone marrow procedure to deal with a quad injury this off season.  I would want to make sure that isn't an issue that is going to linger.

What really interest me is the part about Rozier and Sacramento.  I would love to land Boogie for a package based around Terry and Jae.  Rozier would give them a point guard and Jae could be a replacement for Rudy if he is moved.  Both guys are signed long term as well which would be a plus for the Kings.  They need to come to terms with the fact that Boogie is not sticking around.

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
While it would be exciting to land another allstar with the 2018 BKN pick, I don't see it happening. Like I said on other "trade" threads, I legitimately think the C's are done. They'll sign Zeller and Green, they'll try and get something done, but by the time training camp rolls around, this will pretty much be the roster we'll have.
- LilRip

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
It would be very surprising to see a big move like Blake or Westbrook coming to Boston. If neither is willing to extend (and I don't think they are) then there is no reason to give up big time assets for them.

How many teams are going to have Max space next summer? With the projections for next year being less than expected I don't think that many teams can sign max free agents. If that's the case the Celtics should keep their assets and add a top pick/max free agent next summer.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
I don't buy it for a second, but if the Celtics somehow landed Blake Griffin for Amir Johnson, Terry Rozier and a non-Brooklyn 1st, I'd probably build a statue for Ainge.

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Smitty is like some of the others with anonymous sources. People who are involved with  the NBA and have an ear to the talk. Maybe even leakers. These are probably rumors with some legs to them. Though the details aren't perfect. Kind of like the Deep Throat guy in the Watergate scandal.

Beat writers for teams--guys like Bulpett, can't report this stuff. They can only report what the team approves. Indeed, even guys like Bulpett could be an "anonymous source"!

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Interesting rumors that seem logical but may possibly underestimate the price that it will take to bring in these two players. It has always made sense to bring in both instead of just one and create an elite top 4 NBA team that will be hard for them to leave for rebuilding LA or Miami teams.

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
I don't buy it for a second, but if the Celtics somehow landed Blake Griffin for Amir Johnson, Terry Rozier and a non-Brooklyn 1st, I'd probably build a statue for Ainge.

Ya I don't see how Sac trades Rudy Gay for only Rozier, feel like other players would have to be included. Terry had a dynamite summer league but he's still largely unproven.

Love the idea of trading for Pierce and Griffin. Jaylen couldn't ask for a better mentor and Blake Griffin/Horford could stand with any front court in the league.