Author Topic: Thinking out loud - does Gordon for Brown makes sense for both Boston + Orlando?  (Read 26493 times)

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
So between the Gordon thread and the Brown trade speculation, it had me thinking - doesn't swapping these two make sense for both clubs' needs?

Rationale - Gordon is a classic tweener who has no true position. He's definitely a forward, but he doesn't really fit either spot perfectly. That being said, from what I've seen of him, he's much more of a 4 than he is a 3, and he seems to have been more productive there, too.

But now that Orlando has Ibaka, who they're planning on locking up long-term at the 4 spot next to Vucevic, which is actually a pretty decent fit I think, it's going to force Gordon to play the 3 spot, which he will more than likely struggle mightily with offensively.

Enter Brown. When comparing the two as prospects, it's strange how close these two are. They're both super athletic players who excel in transition, and they have very similar ceilings. Where Gordon was a little better defensively, though, I think Brown was a little better offensively and with his handle.

But the advantage that Brown has over Gordon is that he is definitely a 3, though he should eventually be serviceable at both the 2 and 4 spots. With them making the commitment to Ibaka and Gordon not really being a 3, I think a swap of those two could work out really well for both sides.

For Orlando, they get a similar high-ceiling prospect in Brown that is a true 3 and won't be playing out of position. Further, they signed Green this summer, so they bring along slowly off the bench this year while they're competing for a playoff spot.

For us, Gordon would be a phenomenal fit for us at the 4 spot. Not only is he versatile defensively, but he also provides enough spacing from the 4 spot to give IT all the room he needs in the lane. We would be absolutely elite defensively, and Gordon would give us further lineup flexibility and a high-ceiling guy to further build around.

What do you think?

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don't think it makes sense for us.  Crowder got hurt last year, you are really thinning us out.

Offline TheBig3

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 18
No

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I think Brown has more upside and value to this team. Would not make that trade.

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Team could use a better big man prospect but unsure if Gordon is worth gambling on for Brown. Both give you the same thing but at 2/3 vs 3/4. Gordon has been underachieving his first couple of years so no huge push to trade for him.

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
I think Brown has more upside and value to this team. Would not make that trade.

I agree with this.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I agree with this.
THIS. You can already see how Gordon will level out in a few years as a solid rotation guy maybe starter, whereas Brown at his age now could well surpass that eventually.

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Yup, plus having 4 years of a rookie contract >>> having 2 years
I'm bitter.

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I like Gordon. He was on my fantasy team last year. I definitely think he's a 4 more than a 3. I'd rather keep Brown though. Higher upside, IMO. I hope I'm not wrong.
- LilRip

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111

Enter Brown. When comparing the two as prospects, it's strange how close these two are. They're both super athletic players who excel in transition, and they have very similar ceilings. Where Gordon was a little better defensively, though, I think Brown was a little better offensively and with his handle.

What do you think?

I think  that Gordon in year two amply justified Orlando's  drafting him so high. I think he'll have a long career.

On the other hand, I don't think that their games are very close.   Brown has a chance to be a special player – Gordon's ceiling  is nowhere near. More fundamentally, Brown is a closer, a scorer who can put it on the deck and make things happen.   That's a rare commodity, and should not be lightly tossed away. Not to put a cloud over Gordon's bright future, but that's just not his game, and never will be.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Meh

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
doesn't make sense for Orlando

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
i''ll second this. look at gordon's stats so far. it has only been two seasons, but they do not show much productivity yet.

in 21 mpg, gordon has averaged:
7.7 pts/g
6.5 rbs/g
1.6 assists/g
28.9% from 3 point land.

and these came with him on a 35 win team.

i think gordon is very talented and contributes in many ways through his athleticism. however, i also think brown will be the better player, especially shooter and scorer, in a the near future.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
why would it not make sense for them to get a better player? i am curious on this. thanks.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
why would it not make sense for them to get a better player? i am curious on this. thanks.
hes not