Author Topic: Demetrius Jackson  (Read 5308 times)

Re: Demetrius Jackson
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2016, 01:23:46 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
To me it doesn't make sense to sign him only to cut him in training camp to lose all his rights.  Why not just have him play overseas to retain his rights like other players.  Maybe this means a 2 or 3 for 1 trade is on the horizon.
Because stashing a guy is not the teams option, it's the players option.  We could decide to not offer contract and it would be his choice to try out anywhere he wants.

I should have clarified more.  I understand that.  Many times a fringe 2nd round player is more than willing to play overseas where it's more of a lock to get paid and play.

Yes, but Jackson wasn't a fringe 2nd rounder.  Nader was, and that's why he is overseas.

The other point is teams often discuss with players in advance of drafting where they will play next season.  When Jackson was picked, it was reported then that he would be in Boston.  Which is what happened.  When Bentil was drafted, it was reported he'd be brought to camp with a chance to make the team, which is what happened.  And Nader was going to be stashed, which is what has happened.

I expect Jackson will make the team.  I also expect he has at least a partial guarantee next season.  And I think Bentil will make the team too.

Didn't know Nader was going overseas!!!  You sure about that??

Smitty77
As @saltlover pointed out; nothing has been decided as of yet. But it seems like D-League is still an option for Nader:
@AdamHimmelsbach: Regarding summer star Abdel Nader, several options being discussed, including D-League, but the Celtics are fans.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2016, 01:37:24 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
It would be fine to cut him. He showed nada in SL. I liked him before the draft, but we can't set a precedent that we'll let 2nd round draft picks play hardball with us, just to keep control of a guy who has like a 10% chance of ever having an NBA career.

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2016, 05:42:43 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Some have interpreted the Jackson signing as an effort to create guard depth, in case of a trade. There are enticing hints that Ainge is not done with dealing. We'll see if those Griffin/Westbrook rumors have any substance.

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2016, 06:14:36 PM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
And if it goes the other way:  trades don't happen. The brain trust goes with Jackson & Bentil in the 14th and 15th slots, thus cutting RJ and Young (who aren't going to play now this year anyway).  RJ and Young's salaries would be dead money this coming year, but next season there would be almost 3 million in cap space cleared (the difference between money owed in 17-18 to RJ and JY vs  cost of DJ and BB at 2nd yr of rookie minimum).  Another 3 mil in cap space could be critical next summer.

Either way Danny has us brilliantly positioned for further trades this summer or free agency next summer.  He is a master at thinking several moves ahead and maintaining the team's financial flexibility.

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2016, 06:01:46 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Info on the contract:
Adam Himmelsbach: According to a league source, 2nd round pick Demetrius Jackson has finalized a four-year, $5.5 million deal with the Celtics.

The fourth year for Demetrius Jackson is a team option, source says.

No info on whether the second year is guaranteed though.

Furthermore it seems like he is going to get $0.5 million more than Mickey got last year. DA must really see something in this kid. I suppose it isn't normal that a 45th pick is offered such a contract :o
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2016, 06:19:53 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
When I heard this, I thought we were shipping him or Rozier and a pick or two for Okafor.

The brain trust goes with Jackson & Bentil in the 14th and 15th slots, thus cutting RJ and Young

I do not see us giving up on RJ this year.

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2016, 07:33:43 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Jackson was awful in the summer league.

This is what I saw for 90 % of his time on the court .   

If he was overwhelmed in SL .....hen he will be murdered on the actual NBA court games.

Nader on the other hand showed the strength and composure to handle the speed of the NBA

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2016, 08:58:37 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Here's to hoping that IT can mentor D-Jax on how to thrive in the NBA as a "little man".