Author Topic: Demetrius Jackson  (Read 5331 times)

Demetrius Jackson
« on: July 24, 2016, 08:38:03 AM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 124
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
Has anyone heard the length of his contract?

If it is guaranteed for more than one year, I got to believe he makes the team this year, assuming no big trades happen. 

But if it is for just one year at rookie minimum of 543,000, would C's consider cutting him in camp, thus eating the 543,000?  If he were cut, he could still play for Red Claws and earn a very small salary there as well.  If fact could this be the plan all along?

Salaries are so meager in D league that the better players go overseas.  Could this deal with Jackson be the C's "work around" plan to get Demetrius to play in Maine with all the other guys this season.

Of course, once the C's cut him, he would be free to go where ever he wanted this year and beyond - C's would lose all control.

Does my "work around" theory have any plausibility or is it just plain stupid?

Re: Demetrius Jackson
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 09:05:22 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
To me it doesn't make sense to sign him only to cut him in training camp to lose all his rights.  Why not just have him play overseas to retain his rights like other players.  Maybe this means a 2 or 3 for 1 trade is on the horizon.

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 09:13:41 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
No report on the length of the contract as of yet. But it seems like he's assured a spot on our roster for this season, at least according to Adam Himmelsbach (who refers to "league sources"):
@AdamHimmelsbach: League source says right now, R.J. Hunter, James Young, Ben Bentil and John Holland are in position to fight for the final roster spot.

Either way a trade/cut is inevitable. Some guy will be gone from our roster before opening night.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 09:26:55 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
To me it doesn't make sense to sign him only to cut him in training camp to lose all his rights.  Why not just have him play overseas to retain his rights like other players.  Maybe this means a 2 or 3 for 1 trade is on the horizon.
Because stashing a guy is not the teams option, it's the players option.  We could decide to not offer contract and it would be his choice to try out anywhere he wants.

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 09:50:20 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Jackson was awful in the summer league.

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 10:03:03 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Don't have info on contract, but probably for 3+ years with team options or non-guarantees after 1 or 2 years.

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 10:07:27 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I suppose it's possible Jackson is forcing the issue and refuses to go overseas, so they have to either cut him or not cut him. Darius Songalia did the same thing and it worked out for him. Songalia had a high comfort level with Europe as a backup plan though. Jackson has to ask himself if he's comfortable fading out of NBA existence if he did something like that.

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 10:11:04 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Still have hope for him despite his play in Vegas

Saw him many times while at ND and he was a big play guy, both offensively and defensively

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 10:11:06 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
Who cares?it was summer league.the Celtics have more than just that to base their decision on.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 10:11:14 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

This. TP

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2016, 10:21:36 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Because stashing a guy is not the teams option, it's the players option.  We could decide to not offer contract and it would be his choice to try out anywhere he wants.

I should have clarified more.  I understand that.  Many times a fringe 2nd round player is more than willing to play overseas where it's more of a lock to get paid and play.

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2016, 10:48:41 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I should have clarified more.  I understand that.  Many times a fringe 2nd round player is more than willing to play overseas where it's more of a lock to get paid and play.

Yes, but Jackson wasn't a fringe 2nd rounder.  Nader was, and that's why he is overseas.

The other point is teams often discuss with players in advance of drafting where they will play next season.  When Jackson was picked, it was reported then that he would be in Boston.  Which is what happened.  When Bentil was drafted, it was reported he'd be brought to camp with a chance to make the team, which is what happened.  And Nader was going to be stashed, which is what has happened.

I expect Jackson will make the team.  I also expect he has at least a partial guarantee next season.  And I think Bentil will make the team too.

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2016, 10:49:52 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150

This. TP

Not sure what to make of his play. He had a lot of hype going into the draft. If they are giving him a contract maybe he had an undisclosed injury. (Or, maybe I'm giving him too much of a benefit of doubt.')

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2016, 12:11:31 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

Yes, but Jackson wasn't a fringe 2nd rounder.  Nader was, and that's why he is overseas.

The other point is teams often discuss with players in advance of drafting where they will play next season.  When Jackson was picked, it was reported then that he would be in Boston.  Which is what happened.  When Bentil was drafted, it was reported he'd be brought to camp with a chance to make the team, which is what happened.  And Nader was going to be stashed, which is what has happened.

I expect Jackson will make the team.  I also expect he has at least a partial guarantee next season.  And I think Bentil will make the team too.

Didn't know Nader was going overseas!!!  You sure about that??

Smitty77

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2016, 12:48:27 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Didn't know Nader was going overseas!!!  You sure about that??

Smitty77

It's not official, but they have no roster spots for him, he was not announced yesterday with everyone else, and they signed Gerald Green to fill his potential role.  He was the 58th pick, and it was announced he'd be stashed on draft night.  He played well in summer league, and he has a better chance of ever making the team than Marcus Thornton, but not this year.