Author Topic: Top 3 moves Danny has made that you hated when you first heard it  (Read 7975 times)

Re: Top 3 moves Danny has made that you hated when you first heard it
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2016, 01:45:30 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
The Boston Celtics select Kelly Olynyk...

Was actually never uttered. The Dallas Mavericks selected Kelly Olynyk.

Fine if you want to get technical The Boston Celtics select Noriega...happy? Lol
was also never uttered.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2016, 01:46:16 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
1. Rondo trade: Rondo was my favorite player but Crowder is really pushing for that spot.

2. Pierce + KG trade: Hard to lose those guys but these draft picks are oh-so-sweet.

3. Rozier: really bummed about this pick at first but he is growing on me and might surprise people this year.

Oh and everyone who said KO over Giannis stop lying most people didn't even know who who GA was when they watched the draft. The Bucks got some backlash over that pick at the time and no one knew who he really was. You couldn't have told me on that draft night he would be great.
the idea that no one knew about GA on draft night is ridiculous.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2016, 01:54:35 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Without question the #1 answer is the trade for Ray Allen. 

Out of context, it was idiotic.  Giving up a top 5 pick, delonte west and other assets for a 32 year old shooting guard with bad ankles was disgusting.  There was no way Pierce and Ray would go far together.  It didn't make us a contender.  It was seemingly another shortsighted Knicksian move to sell tickets like when we brought back Antoine walker.   It also eliminated our key trade asset we were trying to use to acquire Kevin Garnett.  I didn't just hate that move, I was borderline considering taking a break from following the Celtics.  It was awful.   To lose the durant/oden sweepstakes and then give up a top 5 pick for a few years of post-prime Ray Allen was too depressing.

Then we traded for KG and it made sense.
I was one of the few that liked the Ray Allen trade at the time because Ainge had finally picked a direction and I was happy about that.  Plus, the options at #5 weren't very good (Ainge probably would have taken Jianlian).  And Delonte West, come on, he always had role player potential. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2016, 02:05:45 PM »

Offline mnshyn

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
  • Forever Green
KG + PP traded away.
Letting Tony Allen walk.
Trading away Perk.

Honorable mention: Rondo traded

that breaking up of the KG-RA-PP big three was really hard for me.  It stung.  I was mad we lost TA when he was our best perimeter defender.  Perk to me was the beginning of the end of the Big 3 era.. that starting five with rondo was a great lineup.. as doc used to say, we never lost a playoff series with those five intact.

as much as i like Rondo, I think i moved on from that era by that point and was fine in ushering in something new... but i felt nostalgic for a bit before fully moving on.

then there's the fact that we have to do such kickass video tributes when pp, kg, ray and rondo came back with their new teams.. a few tears were shed.

but i'm happy with the direction we're in.. and can't wait to see what's next!
Play to win.  Always.

« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2016, 02:08:15 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
1. Rondo trade: Rondo was my favorite player but Crowder is really pushing for that spot.

2. Pierce + KG trade: Hard to lose those guys but these draft picks are oh-so-sweet.

3. Rozier: really bummed about this pick at first but he is growing on me and might surprise people this year.

Oh and everyone who said KO over Giannis stop lying most people didn't even know who who GA was when they watched the draft. The Bucks got some backlash over that pick at the time and no one knew who he really was. You couldn't have told me on that draft night he would be great.
the idea that no one knew about GA on draft night is ridiculous.

Correct.  I was very proud of myself to go back and look at my posts from the 2013 draft, and confirm that I actually wanted Giannis (and that it wasn't some sort of selective memory).  That said, Olynyk has exceeded my expectations.

« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2016, 04:11:12 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Out of context, it was idiotic.  Giving up a top 5 pick, delonte west and other assets for a 32 year old shooting guard with bad ankles was disgusting.  There was no way Pierce and Ray would go far together.  It didn't make us a contender.  It was seemingly another shortsighted Knicksian move to sell tickets like when we brought back Antoine walker.   It also eliminated our key trade asset we were trying to use to acquire Kevin Garnett.  I didn't just hate that move, I was borderline considering taking a break from following the Celtics.  It was awful.   To lose the durant/oden sweepstakes and then give up a top 5 pick for a few years of post-prime Ray Allen was too depressing.

I was one of the few that liked the Ray Allen trade at the time because Ainge had finally picked a direction and I was happy about that.  Plus, the options at #5 weren't very good (Ainge probably would have taken Jianlian).  And Delonte West, come on, he always had role player potential. 

When I heard about Allen, I didn't know what was traded, I just know that I was VERY happy. I had always said prior to it that all Pierce needed was to be paired up with Allen and it would bring us the championship.

Now given, the REAL difference maker in this was Garnett, so I can't claim fully my prophetic powers, but glad my words ended up being true. All to say, that I was very happy to trade for him.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 05:36:01 PM by BudweiserCeltic »

« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2016, 05:24:11 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Bringing Worthless Green back ....SMh

« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2016, 05:34:12 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623

Right there with you...I am an optimist and was always a big Danny supporter..The Ray Allen trade was the one and only time I have really doubted him. I thought it was nuts at the moment...Ever since then I have realized I am not an NBA GM and would never second guess him. Sure he made some minor mistakes but they come with the territory and usually make a decent amount of sense at the time...(ala Perk trade) in a vacuum it made almost perfect sense at the time; on paper it looked like we were winning that trade. So you can't fault him for those.

I almost doubted Ainge at the KG & Pierce trade but my past understanding of Ray Allen trade brought me back to my senses and thought we will eventually get the better end of the deal...we got that, and then some...
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2016, 05:58:25 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

In retrospect, it was great.   But at the time, I hated it.  I really hated it.   Pierce + Ray wouldn't have done much of anything for us.  It was a temporary bandaid move.  And it came a bit after we had brought back Antoine Walker.  There was also a bunch of rumors that we were trying to trade for Allen Iverson - which I also hated.  It just seemed like we were taking a Knicks approach and going after big names.   And I say this as someone who lives near Seattle and was a fan of Ray Allen and his game.  I knew he was good.  He wasn't good enough though and I thought he only had 2-3 years left of all-star level play.

Once we landed a legit superstar, it made sense.   Ray and Pierce were great complimentary pieces to Kevin Garnett.  We obviously were able to win a title with that trio.   But out of context, the I really disliked the move.   

« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2016, 06:20:30 PM »

Offline jyyzzoel

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
HATED:
Hated the James Young pick. Hated it.

Letting Tony Allen go (Ainge said he regrets it too)

JR Giddens, Gabe Pruitt

Didn't like the Fab Melo pick, but it made sense at the time. You gotta swing for the fences on a 7 footer who was a very good defensive player in college.

Hated Jujuan Johnson getting picked. His advanced stats were terrible.

The Avery Bradley contract. I was wrong.

LOVED:

Loved the PP and KG trade at the time because he got unprotected picks for two over the hill previously great players.

Trading Nate Robinson to OKC. That made me frown and feel sad. I mean to say I hated it.

I saw the Perkins trade coming because trading him was the most logical thing to do. I loved it. Thought it was robbery Danny pulled.  Perk tore his ACL and MCL. Once that happened, and his contract was about to expire it was smart to try and get something for him. He was no longer the KP he once was.

Loved Big Baby for Brandon Bass.

Loved the fact he got Zeller out of a trade exception. Loved the Isaiah Thomas trade. Knew straight away it was robbery.

Loved Jerebko for the corpse of Tayshun Prince

The Sullinger pick at 21

The Jaylen Brown pick

The Marcus Smart pick

Using trade exceptions of Kris Humphries and others to save the team money

Trading the expiring contract of Brandan Wright for 2nd rounders.

The Crowder contract.

« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2016, 05:46:39 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Trade:   Pierce and KG going.  Never want to see a team like that finally broken apart.

Draft:  Marcus Banks

Free Agent / Signing:  not bringing back Tony Allen.

« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2016, 06:49:11 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
1.  The Perk trade.  This has been covered but I just thought they outsmarted themselves with this trade.  You play to win a championship, and we had a championship roster that had another year in it at least.  I wouldn't have broken up that team for anything that year. 

2+3.  James Young + Gerald Green:  Both had talented players remaining on the board, both were HUGE reaches.  Neither showed enough in their first year to make you think they'd develop into NBA players by the end of their contract and neither of them did.

« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2016, 08:35:06 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
1) By far the Raef trade was my worst - I know that we later traded him for Ratliff who we used to trade for Ray Allen, but I am still not over it. He was owed $50M over 5 years and that was a LOT for the time. His injury history was so blatantly obvious.

2) Brian Scalabrine signing - I am totally over that one, but couldn't believe we would bring in a stiff like Scal for five freakin' years.

3) Trading up to take KO - also totally over this. I wanted Shroeder or Dieng, would have been okay with Giannis (at the time).

Looking back, I apparently don't like low upside white bigs. I'm a 6'5" white guy (tall for the general population), so maybe I lack confidence  ???

« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2016, 09:14:22 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

#1 Tony Allen. Inexcusable. I would have rather traded Ray Allen.

#2 Posey. We were in win now mode.

#3 Hiring Brad Stevens!
       I Joke, I kid. It was the smartest move he's ever made.