Author Topic: Top 3 moves Danny has made that you hated when you first heard it  (Read 7988 times)

Re: Top 3 moves Danny has made that you hated when you first heard it
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2016, 09:06:29 AM »

Offline MrMorrill

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 9
1. Rondo trade: Rondo was my favorite player but Crowder is really pushing for that spot.

2. Pierce + KG trade: Hard to lose those guys but these draft picks are oh-so-sweet.

3. Rozier: really bummed about this pick at first but he is growing on me and might surprise people this year.

Oh and everyone who said KO over Giannis stop lying most people didn't even know who who GA was when they watched the draft. The Bucks got some backlash over that pick at the time and no one knew who he really was. You couldn't have told me on that draft night he would be great.

« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2016, 09:14:23 AM »

Offline jbarnies

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 2
I'm not a Danny-drafting basher but it surely has to be picks he's made, only because I follow college pretty extensively and have my own ideas of who to get.

With trades, I never question him.

« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2016, 09:43:51 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
1. Rondo trade: Rondo was my favorite player but Crowder is really pushing for that spot.

2. Pierce + KG trade: Hard to lose those guys but these draft picks are oh-so-sweet.

3. Rozier: really bummed about this pick at first but he is growing on me and might surprise people this year.

Oh and everyone who said KO over Giannis stop lying most people didn't even know who who GA was when they watched the draft. The Bucks got some backlash over that pick at the time and no one knew who he really was. You couldn't have told me on that draft night he would be great.

I absolutely did not want KO. IIRC, I liked Shabazz, GA, and Schroeder in that order. GA wasn't a nobody, he was a mysterious prospect with crazy physical attributes. I would've loved for the C's to have taken a chance on him. Kinda like how I was rooting for us to take a chance on Bender.
- LilRip

« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2016, 09:53:16 AM »

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
The Boston Celtics select Kelly Olynyk...

« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2016, 11:01:28 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

Was actually never uttered. The Dallas Mavericks selected Kelly Olynyk.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2016, 11:21:21 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Any recent first round draft choice.

Thought you liked Sully draft choice?

« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2016, 11:25:01 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
1. Trade 7th pick for Telfair.
2. Trading 5th pick for Ray Allen (boy, was I wrong)
3. Letting TA walk

« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2016, 11:28:12 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
1: KG/Allen deals.  I hate giving up our prospects to see them develop on other teams.  Oops...
2: KO pick.  Yep, still hate it!
3: The first Antoine trade.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2016, 11:41:13 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
The KO draft pick was the first to come to mind, considering we traded up. After watching highlight videos on draft night, I felt even worse about the pick. He's not a terrible NBA player, but I still think he's riding the pine on a good team.

The next two were harder for me to pick, showing how good Danny Ainge really has been. I don't care too much about the Fab Melo flop b/c he was 7ft tall and picked after the "perceived talent" had been drafted.

I didn't love the Antoine Walker trade at the time, as I thought Raef Lafrentz was a dud. I believe that was Danny's first big move with the Celtics.

I also remember not loving Olowokandi, though he didn't cost much. Like Anthony Bennett, I think it was quickly decided that this guy was a complete bust at the #1 pick.

« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2016, 11:50:09 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141

Not a big fan of point forwards--excluding James, who is in a class by himself. Olynyk stays around because he can shoot the 3, and pass pretty well. His problem is he plays small for a 7 footer. Can't get off the floor. Just watch him. Poor rebounder/defender.

I don't know what Ainge saw in this guy--maybe another Bird. Larry couldn't jump, either, but that's where the similarities stop.

« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2016, 12:04:58 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Celtics select Fab Melo

« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2016, 12:08:00 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Everything posted seems so recent to me, although kind of amazing that moves in '07 (Ray) and '11 (Perk) seem recent.

For me, Danny came in and and pretty much immediately traded Antoine away for scrubs.  Antoine was 26 and a 3x All-Star.  I was okay trading Antoine away, but if you do trade him, then you have to get back another All-Star or a top-3 pick, not Raef Lafrentz.

Then a couple of months later he traded away Eric Williams and Tony Battie for Ricky Davis.  Ricky Davis!?!?  The dude who played for the worst team in the league and tried to shoot at his own basket to get a triple double?  Eric Williams and Tony Battie were the heart and soul of the team, kind of like Kendrick Perkins and James Posey were to the KG-era C's.  On top of all that, Ainge traded them away during a 5 game win streak (and 5 game win streaks were pretty rate between the Bird and KG eras).  I believe the trade led to Jim O'Brien quitting.

But then, amazingly, I fell in love with Ricky Davis.  Dude played hard all of the time, and I believe Doc once said he'd run through a brick wall if Doc asked him too.  He was definitely fun to cheer for, and even had the Get Buckets Brigade, a whole section he bought season tickets for, did a lot for the community too.  But then Danny traded him away for Wally Szczerbiak!?  My heart was ripped out a little at that point.  And of course the C's missed the playoffs that year too, and I just knew if they kept Ricky they would have been able to turn things around and make the playoffs (despite the fact that the C's had pretty much the same W/L% before and after the trade).

Really questioned the Ray Allen move too, but after the KG trade (and seeing how all those other trades I hated led to the KG trade), I now always give Danny the benefit of the doubt.

But those moves in his first few years, before he earned my trust and the league wide reputation as one of the best GM's, I definitely hated some of Danny's moves in those first few years.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2016, 12:09:53 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
I hated the Walker/LaFrentz trade.  It was awful. 

Didn't like the decision to let Posey go.  Felt they should have just sucked up that extra year and kept him.

I haven't liked much from the recent drafts.  Sullinger was really the only guy picked I actually liked at the time. 

I was one of the few people that actually like the Ray Allen trade at the time (and before KG).  I thought it showed a clear direction for the team and I wasn't enthralled with any of the draft picks that would have been there at 5. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2016, 01:13:45 PM »

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91

Was actually never uttered. The Dallas Mavericks selected Kelly Olynyk.

Fine if you want to get technical The Boston Celtics select Noriega...happy? Lol

« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2016, 01:15:14 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I hated the Walker/LaFrentz trade.  It was awful. 

Didn't like the decision to let Posey go.  Felt they should have just sucked up that extra year and kept him.

I haven't liked much from the recent drafts.  Sullinger was really the only guy picked I actually liked at the time. 

I was one of the few people that actually like the Ray Allen trade at the time (and before KG).  I thought it showed a clear direction for the team and I wasn't enthralled with any of the draft picks that would have been there at 5.

Good post.

I should have added letting Posey walk. Horrible, cheapskate decision by Ainge and ownership that immediately hurt a possible repeat.

I liked the Sullinger pick, but at that point who knew he was an unmotivated player.

Beyond that, Ainge has done nothing recently in the draft that I like.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."