Author Topic: Top 3 moves Danny has made that you hated when you first heard it  (Read 7956 times)

Re: Top 3 moves Danny has made that you hated when you first heard it
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2016, 11:26:14 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
1. Perkins trade

2. Perkins trade

3. Perkins trade

That was the first (and last) time I ever watched the trade deadline, and holy crap was I disappointed.

Letting TA walk was heartbreaking, as he was my favorite Celtic.

I also really hated letting go of Powe when we could have kept him for the minimum (though I've since forgiven Ainge for that one, he was right about his injury).

I'll still argue that Posey was a mistake.  I know Ainge didn't want to overpay for him and wanted to keep flexibility in case Ray didn't resign, but I think he was worth overpaying for simply for the chemistry/Ubuntu of that defending championship team.  And we all knew the Big 3 were gonna stay together for more than 3 years, what did saving that money really accomplish?

PP/KG trade was a little disappointing simply because I thought we'd get 2 firsts for each of them, especially considering we got 1 for Doc.  In hindsight, I had no clue the picks would have this much value.

I thought the same for much of this at the time. It depends on how much you want to win another championship. If you're the Lakers, you overspend. If you're the Celtics, you don't. Wyc refused to go over the cap to win another championship. They literally dismantled the championship team and its chemistry to stay under the cap.

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2016, 12:12:02 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
1. Perk trade (that was Wyc not wanting to pay a defensive guy)

2. Paying Zeller more than IT (clubhouse issues looming)

3. Poor draft picks--many already mentioned. Overrated drafter.

In a landscape where Mike Conley is the highest paid player in the NBA, I'm going to have to disagree with you here. When IT is up for a new contract he'll get paid. It's not Ainge's fault the cap went up so much this year, and I'm sure the players all know that.

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2016, 12:18:29 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
1. Letting Posey go - I thought we could've won one more if we had Posey.
2. Drafting KO - supremely disappointed in the pick; I'm still sad about it today.
3. Trading for Wally Szczerbiak - really not a fan of guys who can't play defense. I hated Wally's game and had a tough time accepting that he was supposed to be one of our "best players".

Honorable mention: trading away Walker. Pierce and Walker were the dynamic duo. At the time, I felt like we had to add to them, not trade one of them away.
- LilRip

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2016, 12:29:14 PM »

Offline AngryAndIrritable

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
1) Not picking Schroeder or in hindsight Giannis instead of KO.

2) The Rondo trade.

3) Picking Rozier at 16

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2016, 12:38:11 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Not trading Rondo for Curry back when Curry was injuries and GS sucked

Perk for Green

Not bringing Noel /Oakfor on team draft night.......and not signing Butler.

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2016, 01:20:13 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
1. Perkins trade
2. Letting TA go
3. Drafting Fab Melo
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2016, 01:50:27 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Not in order
Rondo trade, one of my favorites and at the time I didn't think we got enough for him
Trading Courtney Lee, I was of the group to keep him and move Bradley
Letting tony Allen go with no compensation

Of course you can add in Paul and kg being traded but for the deal I was truly in shock, red like move.
So in hindsight, rondo trade great.  Lee for bayless didn't hurt us in long run, kind of doesn't seem to matter.  Tony Allen if he was just 3 " taller would have been a keeper.  Hate to let good players leave without SOMETHING (see sully)

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2016, 02:31:55 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
I'm surprised how many people said trading perk

He was cooked. And we would have had to pay him way too much
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2016, 02:36:48 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
1: Perkins trade Destroyed team chemistry---cost us a Ring...we were KILLING the entire league--Danny Outsmarted himself. For Jeff "Asleep at the wheel" Green and a center that Doc stopped playing.

2: Telfair trade--I punched my Dashboard when I heard the news on the radio.

3: Drafting Marcus Smart---but I actually like this move now.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2016, 05:48:05 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
This might be a more interesting thread if the OP asked for three things folks here BOTH loved and hated.
you should join our conversations here more often http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?board=5.0

'celtics talk' can be absurd in the offseason  ;D

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2016, 06:00:38 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
When we traded back for Antoine Walker.  All we really gave up of value was a 1st round pick, but it was a pointless trade, that was done (I assume) to pacify fairweather fans that wanted to see the Celtics back in the playoffs.  The C's ended up getting eliminated in the 1st round by Indiana.  That's really the only one I was against.  I was hoping to draft Dennis Schroeder or Giannis in the 2013 draft, but KO wasn't an awful pick, so I didn't really hate it.  All in all Ainge has done a terrific job as GM.

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2016, 06:10:01 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
1: Perkins trade Destroyed team chemistry---cost us a Ring...we were KILLING the entire league--Danny Outsmarted himself. For Jeff "Asleep at the wheel" Green and a center that Doc stopped playing.

We weren't killing the league with Perk that season. Shaq went down and we were never good enough to beat Miami after it. The only playoff game we won against them was the one Shaq came back, he was shot the next game after a few mins and Mia never looked back.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2016, 06:25:08 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

We weren't killing the league with Perk that season. Shaq went down and we were never good enough to beat Miami after it. The only playoff game we won against them was the one Shaq came back, he was shot the next game after a few mins and Mia never looked back.

People forget that Perkins was also hurt himself, and we traded for Green (who was needed because Pierce was suffering as well when and Daniels went down, and we needed more bodies for Carmelo/LeBron to guard) and along with Green we acquired Kristic as well. Wasn't a world beater, but more than serviceable a at a time when all our bigs were pretty much unhealthy, we got a healthy center for a turn. Too bad he himself got hurt entering the Playoffs.

I'm still not sure how people can view the trade for Perk in such a negative way even at this time, aside from personal emotional reasons. But it was a good trade and we won it by a landslide. Team chemistry wasn't what destroyed that team, but health. Having Perkins wouldn't have changed that one bit.

I laugh at the idea that of "we were killing the league with Perk that season". Actually no, we were killing the league with SHAQ. Perk missed all games up to late January. He then played 12 games and injured himself again. We traded an injured Perk.

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2016, 06:58:05 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
1. Drafting Fab Melo. I wanted PJIII
2. trading up to draft Olynyk. I wanted Schroeder or Dieng. Looking back it wasnt bad.
3. The Ray Allen trade. I grew to love that one.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2016, 11:23:39 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
I am truly surprised how much traction the Perk thing is getting here. I absolutely loved that deal at the time, though Green was going to become a star. Obviously I was wrong but at the time...

Also, curious to see how many people are talking with hindsight. I remember thinking, wow Fab Melo is a super interesting prospect. It was a reach though. Reaches are always scary. I'm willing to admit that I am wrong about deals more often than not though..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.