Author Topic: Deduction: Jaylen Brown is available in trade talks  (Read 7111 times)

Re: Deduction: Jaylen Brown is available in trade talks
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2016, 03:15:15 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
TP for the dirty diapers, lol ;D. It would be pretty crappy to trade Brown now, though, wouldn't it?  I just find the timing to be odd, to say the least.  Did he not have more value before the summer league, lol ;D, and for whom would he be traded, anyway, at this point, now that Wade and Rondo have gone to Chicago.  Griffin?  Cousins?

Why is that? If anything, I think he started showing that he was at least worthy of that 3rd pick, especially his play towards the end of summer league.

Well, in general, wouldn't a draft pick, especially one in the top 3, be valued higher before he hit the court where he can show his warts, etc.?  Maybe it's like opening some sort of collectible that is valued so high because it hadn't been taken out of the packaging?  I'm not sure, but I think that that's the gist of the argument that has been outlined before on here.  Perhaps it's like wanting to trade the Brooklyn pick at the deadline because of what it could be, as opposed to holding onto it and being at the mercy of the lottery? 

Anyway, Brown had two nice fadeaway jumpers and a few great spin moves, but I don't think that    he showed that he was at least worthy of being taken third.  He did play better in the final, what, two games, or was it three?  Either way, I'm trying to like him, and I absolutely want him to be a success, but I'm not there, yet.  He didn't hit a field goal in the first half of either of his first two games, failed to make a basket, at all, in the third, his jumper was slightly better than advertised, I guess, he had great difficulty in finishing around the basket, and his decision making, especially when he quite often opted to dribble, with his head down :o *facepalm*, into 2-3 guys and either invariably fall over or just flat out lose the ball altogether, was hardly impressive to me, sorry :-\.

So basically you're being highly critical of a guy who was injured during summer league, and didn't fail to live up to the expectations? Oh geez bummer, I guess every rookie that fails to dominate summer league is pretty much down the crapper.  :police:
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2016, 03:35:17 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I mean us he on the table For Cousins and Griifin? Sure, but it would take someone big to move Brown.

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2016, 03:49:07 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
TP for the dirty diapers, lol ;D. It would be pretty crappy to trade Brown now, though, wouldn't it?  I just find the timing to be odd, to say the least.  Did he not have more value before the summer league, lol ;D, and for whom would he be traded, anyway, at this point, now that Wade and Rondo have gone to Chicago.  Griffin?  Cousins?

Why is that? If anything, I think he started showing that he was at least worthy of that 3rd pick, especially his play towards the end of summer league.

Well, in general, wouldn't a draft pick, especially one in the top 3, be valued higher before he hit the court where he can show his warts, etc.?  Maybe it's like opening some sort of collectible that is valued so high because it hadn't been taken out of the packaging?  I'm not sure, but I think that that's the gist of the argument that has been outlined before on here.  Perhaps it's like wanting to trade the Brooklyn pick at the deadline because of what it could be, as opposed to holding onto it and being at the mercy of the lottery? 

Anyway, Brown had two nice fadeaway jumpers and a few great spin moves, but I don't think that    he showed that he was at least worthy of being taken third.  He did play better in the final, what, two games, or was it three?  Either way, I'm trying to like him, and I absolutely want him to be a success, but I'm not there, yet.  He didn't hit a field goal in the first half of either of his first two games, failed to make a basket, at all, in the third, his jumper was slightly better than advertised, I guess, he had great difficulty in finishing around the basket, and his decision making, especially when he quite often opted to dribble, with his head down :o *facepalm*, into 2-3 guys and either invariably fall over or just flat out lose the ball altogether, was hardly impressive to me, sorry :-\.

Not remotely.  It all depends on expectations.  If Brown met or exceeded a potential trade partner's expectations, his value would increase, whereas if he did not meet them, it might decrease.  He's 19, of course there are warts.  It all depends if a team saw new warts, new skills, or warts that weren't quite so bad.

Ah, okay, thanks for the explanation - TP ;D. I wasn't sure about that.

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2016, 04:00:39 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

So basically you're being highly critical of a guy who was injured during summer league, and didn't fail to live up to the expectations? Oh geez bummer, I guess every rookie that fails to dominate summer league is pretty much down the crapper.  :police:

Honestly, I had no expectations for Brown, and even though I didn't, and still don't, like the pick, I went into every game with a completely open mind, regardless of his last performance, eagerly waiting for something, anything, that would say to me, "Ah, now I see why they took him," and aside from the things I mentioned, I wasn't impressed.  In fact, after those first 3 games, I was extremely concerned, and still am, but I'm trying to grin and bear it, lol ;D.

I get that the guy was injured, but he wasn't impressive, to me, before he sustained that injury.  Did that hamper his play, at least for a time, absolutely, but I'm not saying that he's a bust, although, like many on here, I was understandably down after watching him play, to say the least. 

However, I don't think that there is anything wrong with having high expectations for the guy.  This is the best pick we've had in almost 20 years, and, I'm sorry, but he has to at least be an all star to justify his selection at 3, and I don't think that that's unreasonable, at all.  Please, Jaylen Brown, please make me eat my words, lol ;D. Please?

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2016, 05:12:41 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Nice post

Is there any precedent for a top 5 pick being traded before signing? (excluding draft deals night obviously)

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2016, 05:41:00 AM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
Nice post

Is there any precedent for a top 5 pick being traded before signing? (excluding draft deals night obviously)
Steve Francis in 1999 was traded from the Grizz to Rockets and Danny Ferry was traded in 1989 from the Clippers to Cavs, in both cases those guys didn't want to play for the teams that drafted them , so probably not great examples, both were the 2nd pick overall in their respective drafts.

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2016, 07:19:29 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Honestly, I had no expectations for Brown, and even though I didn't, and still don't, like the pick, I went into every game with a completely open mind, regardless of his last performance, eagerly waiting for something, anything, that would say to me, "Ah, now I see why they took him," and aside from the things I mentioned, I wasn't impressed.  In fact, after those first 3 games, I was extremely concerned, and still am, but I'm trying to grin and bear it, lol ;D.

I get that the guy was injured, but he wasn't impressive, to me, before he sustained that injury.  Did that hamper his play, at least for a time, absolutely, but I'm not saying that he's a bust, although, like many on here, I was understandably down after watching him play, to say the least. 

However, I don't think that there is anything wrong with having high expectations for the guy.  This is the best pick we've had in almost 20 years, and, I'm sorry, but he has to at least be an all star to justify his selection at 3, and I don't think that that's unreasonable, at all.  Please, Jaylen Brown, please make me eat my words, lol ;D. Please?
Go back and check how many all stars were drafted at #3.  Some hits, some misses.  So being drafted at a high spot doesn't mean a whole lot after the fact.  People are doing the same thing with smart, since was drafted high. 

Now all that matters is what you see in the court.  And what I see is a guy with some nice tools that is he can put it together, has a chance to be real good.  Nice defensive potential as well. 

Let's sit back and see what happens.   

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2016, 08:05:38 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Nice post

Steve Francis in 1999 was traded from the Grizz to Rockets and Danny Ferry was traded in 1989 from the Clippers to Cavs, in both cases those guys didn't want to play for the teams that drafted them , so probably not great examples, both were the 2nd pick overall in their respective drafts.

Wiggins? Was that after signing?

Also, except for trading my binkie deyonta away, I have virtually no problems with anything Danny has done, but to move jaylen to Sacramento would be such an unforgivably awful thing to do..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2016, 08:20:44 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

I personally don't recall many guys 6'6" or taller having 5 steals in one game as a rookie.  I personally do NOT recall many rookies AVERAGING 10+ FT attempts per game in Summer League.  Yes, he shot poorly, but he was fouled on MOST of those misses!!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2016, 08:40:31 AM »

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
FWIW Jaylen Brown was spotted in LA at Venice Beach Saturday afternoon. Is he from LA?

Jaylen went to college at the University of California Berkeley, so he could be just visiting since he has some time off right now.

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2016, 08:44:51 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

I personally don't recall many guys 6'6" or taller having 5 steals in one game as a rookie.  I personally do NOT recall many rookies AVERAGING 10+ FT attempts per game in Summer League.  Yes, he shot poorly, but he was fouled on MOST of those misses!!!!

Smitty77

Ignore LA. He's determined to hate Brown because that's not who he wanted on draft night. He won't be convinced until Brown starts dropping 20ppg consistently. Since that won't happen this year, expect a constant stream of "he's a bust" posts from him all year long.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2016, 09:04:43 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I do not think we have an untouchable player, Danny seems to like those BRK picks though

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2016, 09:24:01 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
FWIW Jaylen Brown was spotted in LA at Venice Beach Saturday afternoon. Is he from LA?

Jaylen went to college at the University of California Berkeley, so he could be just visiting since he has some time off right now.
Cal is a pretty long way from LA.  That said, millions of people spend some time at Venice beach in the summer during their time off.  So this pretty much means nothing more than that

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2016, 10:20:52 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Your continual barbs and jabs at him indicate your mind is very closed, not opened, on Brown.

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2016, 10:33:29 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Didn't like the pick, still don't like the pick. Wouldn't object if Ainge moved him.

But summer league is absolutely worthless to gauge the value of a player. No conclusions should ever be drawn for it. About anyone.

We'll see. But drafting a player who can't shoot third is inexplicable, although it's what Danny Ainge does.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."