Author Topic: gerald green and defence  (Read 1809 times)

gerald green and defence
« on: July 23, 2016, 12:15:02 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
last season green made strides in his defense and was being put on the opponents best player-
and he was enjoying it-marcus,chrowder avery ,rozier  and even brown should keep him on his toes-team defense can be infectious-
more athleticism and another player for brad to tinker with--maybe at 30 green is ready for some good old celtic pride and a great young coach  and danny always watching-
we got another jumper to go with jaylen!!!!!!

Re: gerald green and defence
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 12:34:39 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
all in all, this was a good bench move by ainge. the celtics didnt have someone who could come in off the bench and score from outside. now they do.

as for green's defense, i really dont know how much he has developed here. he was awful to the point of being similar to young.

can anyone give us insights on green's defense now? thanks.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 12:42:27 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
I posted this on the other Gerald Green Thread.

Defense

http://hoopshabit.com/2015/12/23/miami-heat-getting-gerald-green-defensively/

What is important is what his teammates say in the article.

By no means is he a defensive stopper.  But he has all the tools to fill his role.
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 02:07:56 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Does not compute

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 02:41:52 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
The kid can score. period. If he could play defense, too, he'd be an all star, and he'd be making the max.

You got to live with cheap players who can do only one thing good. D or O. But you better have a mix of them.

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 02:56:47 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
His Defense has improved greatly..  last year Miami was one of the better defensive teams in the league.

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 03:26:50 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
signing green to vet minimum is a steal,in prime and  has all the tools
wait till brad  turns this kid into a basketball player-the crowd will love him,danny can spin how much  he always liked this kid when he drafted him
,then there is chemistry with isaiah and any kind of talent that takes defense away from isaiah or allows that showman to come out without hitting the deck
just imagine isaiah taunting the bigs or just teasing in the paint and then lobbing to horford or green or jaylen-
smart,rozier,brown chrowder and avery will inspire this kid defensively and hit him in transition for  crazzy azzed dunks -tommy and the crowds will erupt
1.4 million another ainge heist to go along with isaiah,chrowder ,jerebko and zeller
green welcome back to boston garden-the court of dreams
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 04:39:56 PM by rollie mass »

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 03:39:29 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He is an athlete, I think we are going to run this year more than ever after ditching players more suited to the half court.

Now what we have all dreamed of can happen, Gerald retiring in green.... JK

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 06:19:42 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Defense and the lowest basketball IQ I've ever seen.

Be interesting to see if either have improved.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2016, 06:49:14 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Does not compute

Lol, TP ;D. It's really an oil and water kind of situation here,unfortunately, imo :-\.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 07:42:26 PM by Beat LA »

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 10:48:05 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
Finally something happened. It's the return of Gerald Green and Tyler Zeller.

What I don't understand is giving Demetrius Jackson a guaranteed contract. It kind of feels that a trade with Philly for Okafor could be inevitable. The Zeller deal was not a vote of confidence. It was a pure business move. It was a so-called transaction.

But anyway, I agree with everyone above that we are going to have a fun, fast team.

Green will fill his rotation role. We should be able to survive injuries better than most teams.

Now people can stop worrying about Hunter and Smart (on offense). Brad Stevens is definitely an active coach during games. He doesn't pencil in line-ups and just sit there. Danny has filled his cupboards. Zeller is solid for mediocrity and one more option to try in games.

It looks like maybe Rozier, Zeller and non-Brooklyn picks might be headed to Philly. If not, there are 16 guys for 15 jobs. Good luck, Mr. James Young? I am not enthusiastic about Hunter, but he has a good attitude and deserves another year, not Young, if someone needs to be cut.

I wouldn't make any trade for Okafor, myself. He is not a transcendent player and doesn't seem to be that nice a guy. If we're going for a drama queen, I'd rather spend some assets and get Cousins.

The Jackson signing is throwing me off. The curse of Gigi Datome has finally been lifted with signing Gerald. Danny and Brad must not be very excited about Hunter. I think James Young is already out of the NBA except for future paperwork.

I like this signing. Hunter and Brown will have to earn their playing time.

I think Tyler can work out with a faster team and no David Lee holding him back, but Danny seems to need to make some more trades. Zeller and Jerebko will not mind waving towels from the end of the bench? Without injuries, no way can all these guys play.

That is the problem with pruning off the James Young's. You end up with 15 guys who all deserve minutes. It's definitely a good problem to have.

Someone needs to watch out for Stevens' blind spot. He tends to like to experiment. I don't want five or six guys sharing minutes that should only go to four, in terms of the front court. Playing too many guys hurts chemistry.

If last year is any indication, these guys better play their best in preseason. There aren't many practices during the year. There will be three guys no matter what who Brad will probably pencil in as irrelevant. Like Zeller. Did he just get signed to sit on the bench as a luxury 13th man on a game roster?