Author Topic: Celtics resign Tyler Zeller  (Read 10760 times)

Re: Celtics resign Tyler Zeller
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2016, 07:50:53 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I just...I can't, lol ;D. Ugh.  What a waste of money, imo.  Dude blows.  Sigh.

It's not your money, so I hope you'll be able to get over it.

« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2016, 07:56:57 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
structure of the contract increases the number. Zeller is a guy whos been in the system. You know what you can get from him and the contract gives him some value in terms of matching salaries in deals etc.

The FA market has a lot of question marks right now, and before you say it, you simply cannot count on a rookie to come in and be an NBA player. Too big a risk.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2016, 08:08:48 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Umm, okay, lol ;D?  Again, yeesh, tough crowd, haha.

structure of the contract increases the number. Zeller is a guy whos been in the system. You know what you can get from him and the contract gives him some value in terms of matching salaries in deals etc.

The FA market has a lot of question marks right now, and before you say it, you simply cannot count on a rookie to come in and be an NBA player. Too big a risk.

All players were unproven commodities at one point, you know, lol ;D, and it's not like Zeller is somehow irreplaceable, to say the least, imo, lol ;D, but fine, I won't offer a rookie alternative, okay, haha ;D?

Also, I get that the guy is familiar with our style of play, but Ainge has constantly mentioned that we need a bigger center who rebounds, among other things, none of which Zeller provides.  Sure, he's tall, but he's almost as assertive as I am, lol ;D. He does have excellent speed, but he's not a shot blocker or passer, and his rebounding is atrocious.  I don't care if the deal was made with free agency in mind, or not.  I'd rather not have him on the roster, at all, quite honestly :-\. Seriously, how does he help us?  Ugh.  We would have been better off signing Henry Sims, imo, who is not a rookie, btw, lol ;D.

« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2016, 08:22:48 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

All players were unproven commodities at one point, you know, lol ;D, and it's not like Zeller is somehow irreplaceable, to say the least, imo, lol ;D, but fine, I won't offer a rookie alternative, okay, haha ;D?
thats the point. Rookies still are unproven. Many vets are not.

As for Sims, Im well aware he is not a rookie. I remember him from his Philly days. I dont know much about him other than that hes had a far from impressive career since that first year in Philly. Im a bit dissapointed we couldnt add a rebounder, but Zeller seems to just be a better player than Henry Sims so I dont have a problem with it.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2016, 09:16:14 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Zeller is a much more reliable end of bench piece than Sullinger.

You can put him on the bench, not in the regular rotation, and feel confident he will actually be ready to play when called upon.

Also, a center with no major injury history on an affordable psuedo-expiring deal is much easier to trade.

All of this.

In this market Zeller is close to an $8M player.  He can sit on the bench for the entire game and come in and run the floor.  There aren't many 7-footers who can do that as well as he can.

Brad wants to play with pace. Sully out, Zeller stays.  Very simple.

« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2016, 09:42:15 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Sullinger is a far better rebounder. Signs for $6M with Toronto. Zeller gets $8M from Boston.
Not much value there.

« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2016, 09:50:40 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

thats the point. Rookies still are unproven. Many vets are not.

As for Sims, Im well aware he is not a rookie. I remember him from his Philly days. I dont know much about him other than that hes had a far from impressive career since that first year in Philly. Im a bit dissapointed we couldnt add a rebounder, but Zeller seems to just be a better player than Henry Sims so I dont have a problem with it.

What I like about Sims is that he has a much better motor than Zeller and is a no-nonsense guy, in addition to all of the other things about him which I think make him a better player than Zeller, but oh well, lol ;D. I figured that you knew who Sims was, btw, haha.

In regards to the unproven vs. proven debate, that's my point ;). There's no use drafting guys if you're never going to play them, imo, and I don't ever recall this being such an issue before recent years, so I'd like to know the origin of the argument (is this an analytics thing, again? ::)).  I'm not expecting you to know that, btw, lol ;D.

« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2016, 09:53:25 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Zeller is a much more reliable end of bench piece than Sullinger.

You can put him on the bench, not in the regular rotation, and feel confident he will actually be ready to play when called upon.

Also, a center with no major injury history on an affordable psuedo-expiring deal is much easier to trade.

All of this.

In this market Zeller is close to an $8M player.  He can sit on the bench for the entire game and come in and run the floor.  There aren't many 7-footers who can do that as well as he can.

Brad wants to play with pace. Sully out, Zeller stays.  Very simple.

If we wanted a rebounder (at the minimum) who runs the court like a gazelle (and who doesn't), we could have just drafted...never mind :-\. Sigh.

« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2016, 09:55:02 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Kris Dunn says hi.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2016, 10:01:53 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
I'm pretty meh on Zeller coming back, but I'm glad we got him for fair value for what he brings to the table compared to say Miles Plumlee, who basically does everything Zeller does but was given a much heftier contract. Especially considering he has to share time with 3 other guys who play his only position.

« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2016, 10:33:16 PM »

Online trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Forsberg pointing out two things:

1. Zeller becomes 4th highest player on roster
2. Move takes C's over the cap, activating the MLE.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2016, 10:40:09 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

1. OK.

2. Pretty sure that's wrong that we go over the cap, AND we don't get an MLE. Only the Room exception.

« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2016, 10:42:08 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

Kris Dunn says hi.
Good point. You are right. We should have signed Kriss Dunn in the FA market to address our need for a big.

« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2016, 11:32:33 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

1. OK.

2. Pretty sure that's wrong that we go over the cap, AND we don't get an MLE. Only the Room exception.

That is correct.  We used cap room to sign Horford.  No MLE.

« Reply #89 on: July 23, 2016, 11:35:12 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

I'm assuming that you forgot the word 'paid', right, because now I'm thinking of who the three guys are on our team that are 'higher' than Zeller ;), lol ;D. I'm thinking that James Young has to be first.  He's got to lead the team in some category, however dubious ;) ::), right, lol ;D?