Author Topic: Celtics resign Tyler Zeller  (Read 10706 times)

Re: Celtics resign Tyler Zeller
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2016, 03:00:10 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
There's so much hate for Zeller which I don't understand. 2 years ago, a large continent on here was pumped that he was a "steal" from Cleveland. He played well in his first season here. Last year he finished off bad. I'd rather have one year of Tyler Zeller at $8 million than multiple years of Mozgov at $16 million per.

Ultimately, he's a back of the rotation big man, on a one year trade able deal who doesn't figure to play a ton outside of garbage time or injuries. He knows the system and the coaches/players know him.

Ease up on the hate. At least he will show up in shape unlike Sullinger.

Zeller is a really solid back-up rim running center.  He doesn't fill the "rebounds and blocks" prototype that many around here lust after so deeply, but he can give the team solid minutes at the 5.

I think he was legit pretty bad last year on defense and the boards. His FG % went down a lot too.  He lost a lot of that which he had going for him the year before.  Not sure how to explain it.

For the end of the bench he's fine either way.   But he really was not good last year.  The year before he had impressed me a lot and I was thinking about his potential coming off of that season.  He still can roll and finish and run the floor which is worth something.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2016, 03:26:27 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
There's so much hate for Zeller which I don't understand. 2 years ago, a large continent on here was pumped that he was a "steal" from Cleveland. He played well in his first season here. Last year he finished off bad. I'd rather have one year of Tyler Zeller at $8 million than multiple years of Mozgov at $16 million per.

Ultimately, he's a back of the rotation big man, on a one year trade able deal who doesn't figure to play a ton outside of garbage time or injuries. He knows the system and the coaches/players know him.

Zeller is a really solid back-up rim running center.  He doesn't fill the "rebounds and blocks" prototype that many around here lust after so deeply, but he can give the team solid minutes at the 5.

I think he was legit pretty bad last year on defense and the boards. His FG % went down a lot too.  He lost a lot of that which he had going for him the year before.  Not sure how to explain it.

For the end of the bench he's fine either way.   But he really was not good last year.  The year before he had impressed me a lot and I was thinking about his potential coming off of that season.  He still can roll and finish and run the floor which is worth something.
nm
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2016, 04:36:54 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Remember last year when Zeller was our starting center coming into the season? This is not the case anymore. This has as much to do with flexibility/contract value as it does with the actual player. Zeller isn't here to stay, but at least we know he'll be a good lockerroom presence and a solid contributor when needed.

« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2016, 04:43:57 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Remember last year when Zeller was our starting center coming into the season?
Almost forgot that Brad tried to start him and Lee for a while. Credit to him for almost immediately realizing they were comfortably the worst bigs on the roster other than the rookies.

« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2016, 05:08:30 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

Agreed, he's way better than Fat ass Sully. I HATE athletes that can't stay in shape, drives me crazy!!!

« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2016, 05:09:47 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Agreed, he's way better than Fat ass Sully. I HATE athletes that can't stay in shape, drives me crazy!!!

The guy is already ready even when buried on the pine.   That speaks a lot of his work ethic.

« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2016, 05:43:16 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

The team screwed around with his role last year. From the beginning trying to play him with David Lee was a disaster.

If he spends time in lineups with plenty of spacing and gets to be a pure rim runner / pick setter on offense, he'll be fine.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2016, 06:00:54 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
If he spends time in lineups with plenty of spacing and gets to be a pure rim runner / pick setter on offense, he'll be fine.

I totally agree. He's not good on defense and doesn't rebound well but they certainly screwed with his head last year. There were weeks when he didn't play at all and then all of a sudden he's in the rotation. He didn't seem to sulk and just accepted his role when it was given to him. He does run well and if this team runs like I expect he can certainly be a positive bench player for 10-12 minutes a game.

« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2016, 06:07:05 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
2/16 (2nd unguaranteed) for Zeller. Vet minimum for Green, 1 year.

2/16 sounds pretty ridiculous for Zeller. Who else would ever want him in a trade for that salary? Maybe next year when they can dump him in a deal for another overpaid stiff.

Danny is screwing the pooch again this preseason. Horford. OK. Brown. maybe OK. The rest of it sucks. This isn't what the fans expected.

Zeller just "bogan" it

rather than signing with a team for vet min if he is lucky , he will get 8 million for next season. 

talk about winning the lottery lol

This could be his last year in the NBA. He stinks and will be once again warming the bench

« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2016, 06:28:37 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Not a lot to say about this signing.  Zeller is a backup quality big, and he has been signed to a flexible contract that is very tradeable.  We can either move him later as salary filler when trading for a star player, or we can just cut ties with him with zero cap implications next season, so we can use all that freed up cap to sign a max player in 2017.  I literally don't see a downside to this move.  Especially when you consider the cap flexibility we gain.

Anyone who is pulling hair over this deal, let me just refer you to this:
Mozgov signs 4yr/$64m contract with Lakers.

« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2016, 07:01:27 PM »

Offline hagar55voa

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 12
Now I can watch the Celtics for another year...I hope Zeller plays at least 15 minutes a game...He can play if given a chance...

« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2016, 07:04:12 PM »

Offline cornbread1981

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
i dont where to post this but i got demarcus cousins autograph today  :D dude is huge

« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2016, 07:12:38 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
He went from decent serviceable backup to..

Total  suck SCRUB   last season.

I figure he pretty much has to pull an ET job .. To stay employed ....or he is going to be digging ditches for the public works dept.

« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2016, 07:15:21 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
i dont where to post this but i got demarcus cousins autograph today  :D dude is huge

Ask Marcus Smart ....who is no small man......about be hammered to the floor by boogie

« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2016, 07:45:27 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I just...I can't, lol ;D. Ugh.  What a waste of money, imo.  Dude blows.  Sigh.