Author Topic: Celtics resign Tyler Zeller  (Read 10756 times)

Re: Celtics resign Tyler Zeller
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2016, 01:30:17 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I agree that Sully was probably the better choice because of his rebounding, but Zeller seems like a much nicer guy and certainly doesn't have the weight issues that Sully does. Also, Zeller seems like he can slide in whatever rotation you need him where Sully may have been a bit more discontent had he not been starting.

This isn't an amazing signing, but I love the 1+1 and at least he knows Brad's system.

« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2016, 01:33:21 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
There's so much hate for Zeller which I don't understand. 2 years ago, a large continent on here was pumped that he was a "steal" from Cleveland. He played well in his first season here. Last year he finished off bad. I'd rather have one year of Tyler Zeller at $8 million than multiple years of Mozgov at $16 million per.

Ultimately, he's a back of the rotation big man, on a one year trade able deal who doesn't figure to play a ton outside of garbage time or injuries. He knows the system and the coaches/players know him.

Ease up on the hate. At least he will show up in shape unlike Sullinger.

« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2016, 01:42:06 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
2/16 (2nd unguaranteed) for Zeller. Vet minimum for Green, 1 year.

8 mill a year? Yeesh I'd rather have Sully for 6

The difference is that Zeller can be traded mid-season on this contract, whereas Sully would have had the ability to veto any trade.  My gut says Sully and his agent would never accept a deal like this, unless Sully were paid at least double what he got.  There will be a lot of money tossed around in free agency next year, as in this one, and he'll want to try that as an unrestricted free agent.

He would only be able to veto if he signed the QO, right? If we gave him the same contract as Toronto it would be the same situation as Zeller is in
I'm bitter.

« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2016, 01:47:36 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Zeller gets a 2 year 16 million dollar deal? (2nd year team option)

talk about lucky.  Ridiculous

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2016, 01:48:27 PM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

The difference is that Zeller can be traded mid-season on this contract, whereas Sully would have had the ability to veto any trade.   My gut says Sully and his agent would never accept a deal like this, unless Sully were paid at least double what he got.  There will be a lot of money tossed around in free agency next year, as in this one, and he'll want to try that as an unrestricted free agent.
This is important.  Basketball-wise, Sully is the better player so I understand why folks are disappointed.  However, this deal seems to line things up nicely for a mid-season trade.

« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2016, 01:48:40 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

The difference is that Zeller can be traded mid-season on this contract, whereas Sully would have had the ability to veto any trade.  My gut says Sully and his agent would never accept a deal like this, unless Sully were paid at least double what he got.  There will be a lot of money tossed around in free agency next year, as in this one, and he'll want to try that as an unrestricted free agent.

He would only be able to veto if he signed the QO, right? If we gave him the same contract as Toronto it would be the same situation as Zeller is in

No, he'd still have veto power.

I think this kind of deal was offered to Sullinger for sure, and he had no interest in a 2nd year non-guaranteed.

As I'm also sure that pretty much was deal was negotiated with Zeller right when Sullinger was deemed not be interested in what Ainge was offering.

« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2016, 02:14:21 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

No, the rule is if you sign a 1-year deal of any kind and will have Bird rights or Early Bird rights at the end of it, you can veto.  Note that options, both team and player, do not count when considering deal length, so a 1-year deal with a player option for year 2 would also confer veto power.

« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2016, 02:15:10 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Zeller is a much more reliable end of bench piece than Sullinger.

You can put him on the bench, not in the regular rotation, and feel confident he will actually be ready to play when called upon.

Also, a center with no major injury history on an affordable psuedo-expiring deal is much easier to trade.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2016, 02:16:14 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Cut all the scrubs and PLEASE sign Nader ......the only new player other than Brown with NBA potiental.

« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2016, 02:23:50 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Cut all the scrubs and PLEASE sign Nader ......the only new player other than Brown with NBA potiental.
I don't think you count on it unless we trade some players. Adam Himmelsbach did tweet this though:
Regarding summer star Abdel Nader, several options being discussed, including D-League, but the Celtics are fans.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2016, 02:37:48 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141

2/16 sounds pretty ridiculous for Zeller. Who else would ever want him in a trade for that salary? Maybe next year when they can dump him in a deal for another overpaid stiff.

Danny is screwing the pooch again this preseason. Horford. OK. Brown. maybe OK. The rest of it sucks. This isn't what the fans expected.

« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2016, 02:44:56 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
There's so much hate for Zeller which I don't understand. 2 years ago, a large continent on here was pumped that he was a "steal" from Cleveland. He played well in his first season here. Last year he finished off bad. I'd rather have one year of Tyler Zeller at $8 million than multiple years of Mozgov at $16 million per.

Ultimately, he's a back of the rotation big man, on a one year trade able deal who doesn't figure to play a ton outside of garbage time or injuries. He knows the system and the coaches/players know him.

Ease up on the hate. At least he will show up in shape unlike Sullinger.

Zeller is a really solid back-up rim running center.  He doesn't fill the "rebounds and blocks" prototype that many around here lust after so deeply, but he can give the team solid minutes at the 5.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2016, 02:50:49 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
was p---ed when i read that it was a two year deal, but seeing that year 2 is a team option is huge.  Completely reverses my opinion. Nice signing. See no reason he cant be a nice insurance big. Hopefully he doesnt see many minutes.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2016, 02:55:07 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

2/16 sounds pretty ridiculous for Zeller. Who else would ever want him in a trade for that salary? Maybe next year when they can dump him in a deal for another overpaid stiff.

Danny is screwing the pooch again this preseason. Horford. OK. Brown. maybe OK. The rest of it sucks. This isn't what the fans expected.

It's an expiring contract. Any team wed be trading him to would be sending us a big-money player, so he would be viewed solely as an expiring contract, and by the time we're able to trade him (mid january, I believe) it'll be a half a year of it, too, so that won't be an issue

If you honestly are disappointed by the Horford signing and don't think that's a big move, then I think it's your expectations that are screwed up, not Danny's moves (also, "again"? Did he screw up last year by adding an extra 8 wins to a playoff team?)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2016, 02:58:09 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
This is just fine.  Zeller is fine at the end of the bench.  Just hopefully he is not seeing minutes.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford