Author Topic: Celtics sign Gerald green  (Read 15581 times)

Re: Celtics sign Gerald green
« Reply #135 on: July 23, 2016, 08:17:46 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Gerald Green is a player who's had one good shooting season and one season where he shot well in limited minutes.  He is a defensive liability and has off-the-court issues that, throughout his career have included immaturity, lack of work ethic/thought, and violence.

Yet, some of the same people who've been knocking Okafor are praising Green.

Welcome to the world of crazy fandom.

If we could sign Jahlil Okafor on a one-year vet minimum deal, I doubt those crazy fans would object.

No fair providing context when there's a good superiority wank going.

« Reply #136 on: July 23, 2016, 08:17:49 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
A lot of hate for a guy that gives you the same offense type plays as Crowder that we praised Crowder for. Hit the open J or drive. And he is going to be doing it for us for the min. It's a solid signing. If he played better D he would be make 8-10 million per.
I really dont like the comparison.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #137 on: July 23, 2016, 08:24:30 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I guess I can warm up to it.  Worse signings could be made, he fills a need and kind of cool to have him back.  At the pricetag we got him for he's really a bargain too.  I just don't usually like the idea of filling the roster with filler.  Green is pretty young has improved over the years and is not a bad player.

Both he and Zeller make sense.  Wasn't a huge fan of the marbury or shaq signings by ainge and this has that same feeling to it.  I guess it's what it leads to.

« Reply #138 on: July 23, 2016, 08:27:33 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
I guess I can warm up to it.  Worse signings could be made, he fills a need and kind of cool to have him back.  At the pricetag we got him for he's really a bargain too.  I just don't usually like the idea of filling the roster with filler.  Green is pretty young has improved over the years and is not a bad player.

Both he and Zeller make sense.  Wasn't a huge fan of the marbury or shaq signings by ainge and this has that same feeling to it.  I guess it's what it leads to.
green is 30.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #139 on: July 23, 2016, 08:28:25 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Gerald Green is a player who's had one good shooting season and one season where he shot well in limited minutes.  He is a defensive liability and has off-the-court issues that, throughout his career have included immaturity, lack of work ethic/thought, and violence.

TP :)

If we could sign Jahlil Okafor on a one-year vet minimum deal, I doubt those crazy fans would object.

The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #140 on: July 23, 2016, 08:29:47 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Does anyone know when Green can be used in a trade? Is it after February? Or can he be traded immediately?

I believe he'll be eligible on December 15th, but I'm not around a computer to check for sure
I'm bitter.

« Reply #141 on: July 23, 2016, 08:32:45 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

TP :)

« Reply #142 on: July 23, 2016, 08:39:27 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Does anyone know when Green can be used in a trade? Is it after February? Or can he be traded immediately?

I believe he'll be eligible on December 15th, but I'm not around a computer to check for sure

Yes, December 15th.

« Reply #143 on: July 23, 2016, 08:54:52 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
I could see the re-signing of Zeller happening, unfortunately, but Gerald Green, as well?  Ahahaha, you've outdone yourself this time, Ainge.  Sushi in a car?  Oh boy! ::) ;D

Seriously, though, it looks like he's developed a nice turnaround and fadeaway jumper and another post move or two and he can come off of picks plus his athleticism, of course, but I don't think that he plays much, if any, defense.  In 2012, the Pacers signed him, and with the injury to Danny Granger, Green, in theory, was supposed to be the backup for Paul George, iirc.  Yeah, not so much. 

After starting the first 3 games of the year, he was replaced by Sam Young, lol, who was then replaced by Lance Stephenson after, again, 3 games, and it wasn't until December that he started again for two games, and probably because Stephenson was out for those two contests.  Other than that, he only started 2 more games over the rest of the season, with the last one being against the 76ers, where Vogel presumably rested George.  Green then proceeded to barely play at all during the playoffs, likely because Vogel, a defensive-minded coach, simply didn't trust him on that end of the court, and especially during crunch time.  Overall, when he wasn't starting, Gerald averaged 16.3 mpg, 6.1 ppg, 2.2 rpg, and 0.9 apg on .343 fg%, .291 from 3, and .848 from the line in 53 games off of the bench.

Now let's examine his season with the Heat last year.  While he did start 14 games for Miami, he played 55 of them in a reserve capacity, averaging 8.5 ppg, 2.3 rpg, and 0.7 apg in 20.9 mpg, on .393 fg% (which is better than his .388 fg% as a starter), .327 from 3, and .797 from the line.  What's important, though, is that once Joe Johnson signed with them, and injuries finally forced Spoelstra (again, another defensive-minded coach) to play rookie Josh Richardson, who quickly became a key cog of their team, while Green averaged just 9.9 mpg over 10 contests in March, and 17 mpg to wind things up in April, a number which was obviously skewed by his starting 2 of those 7 contests.  Once again, like Vogel, Spoelstra hardly used Green in the playoffs, aside from game 3 of the conference finals, where he inexplicably used Gerald for 20:58 over Winslow(was he hurt, or something?  I can't remember, although I don't think that that was the case, but I'm probably wrong, here, so feel free to correct me, lol ;D), who didn't even play, in that crucial contest.  Not surprisingly, the Heat lost, 95-91, although the loss of Whiteside obviously had much more of an impact on that game, as well as the series, than Gerald's performance.  Still, Green did not play in games 4 or 6, and only managed to get on the floor for a combined 13:29 in games 5 and 7.

My point being, if Vogel and Spoelstra didn't trust him when it mattered the most, why would Stevens, a defensive-minded coach, himself, buck the trend?  This move makes absolutely no sense, imo, unless of course Green can replace James Young's hairdos, lol, if the latter is even on the team, which I really hope won't be the case.  Just give Hunter those minutes, instead.  I get the whole 'if he's good enough he'll earn them' thing, but this also applies to Brown, as well, and since Stevens has absolutely no interest in player development, imo, why should we believe that he'll play a rookie, 3rd pick in the draft or not, not to mention a 2nd year player to be in Hunter, over a veteran like Green?  If Ainge had wanted another shooter off of the bench, he should have kept the 31st pick and taken Malcolm Brogdon, imo, who impacts the game in ways that Green simply cannot.  Ugh. 

Of course, he also could have looked into undrafted guys like Danuel House and Jarrod Uthoff, to name a couple, but let's not open that can of worms, lol ;D. Sigh.

Let's conveniently ignore his time in Phoenix, like a Fox news report. But here are the facts,
The more that Gerald Green plays the better he is.
6'7 leapers who can hit the trey ball.  Brad Stevens and IT will be happy to have someone who can score beyond 12 feet.
Like most of the players on this team. He will be given a role.
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #144 on: July 23, 2016, 09:58:19 PM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
I could see the re-signing of Zeller happening, unfortunately, but Gerald Green, as well?  Ahahaha, you've outdone yourself this time, Ainge.  Sushi in a car?  Oh boy! ::) ;D

Seriously, though, it looks like he's developed a nice turnaround and fadeaway jumper and another post move or two and he can come off of picks plus his athleticism, of course, but I don't think that he plays much, if any, defense.  In 2012, the Pacers signed him, and with the injury to Danny Granger, Green, in theory, was supposed to be the backup for Paul George, iirc.  Yeah, not so much. 

After starting the first 3 games of the year, he was replaced by Sam Young, lol, who was then
replaced by Lance Stephenson after, again, 3 games, and it wasn't until December that he started again for two games, and probably because Stephenson was out for those two contests.  Other than that, he only started 2 more games over the rest of the season, with the last one being against the 76ers, where Vogel presumably rested George.  Green then proceeded to barely play at all during the playoffs, likely because Vogel, a defensive-minded coach, simply didn't trust him on that end of the court, and especially during crunch time.  Overall, when he wasn't starting, Gerald averaged 16.3 mpg, 6.1 ppg, 2.2 rpg, and 0.9 apg on .343 fg%, .291 from 3, and .848 from the line in 53 games off of the bench.

Now let's examine his season with the Heat last year.  While he did start 14 games for Miami, he played 55 of them in a reserve capacity, averaging 8.5 ppg, 2.3 rpg, and 0.7 apg in 20.9 mpg, on .393 fg% (which is better than his .388 fg% as a starter), .327 from 3, and .797 from the line.  What's important, though, is that once Joe Johnson signed with them, and injuries finally forced Spoelstra (again, another defensive-minded coach) to play rookie Josh Richardson, who quickly became a key cog of their team, while Green averaged just 9.9 mpg over 10 contests in March, and 17 mpg to wind things up in April, a number which was obviously skewed by his starting 2 of those 7 contests.  Once again, like Vogel, Spoelstra hardly used Green in the playoffs, aside from game 3 of the conference finals, where he inexplicably used Gerald for 20:58 over Winslow(was he hurt, or something?  I can't remember, although I don't think that that was the case, but I'm probably wrong, here, so feel free to correct me, lol ;D), who didn't even play, in that crucial contest.  Not surprisingly, the Heat lost, 95-91, although the loss of Whiteside obviously had much more of an impact on that game, as well as the series, than Gerald's performance.  Still, Green did not play in games 4 or 6, and only managed to get on the floor for a combined 13:29 in games 5 and 7.

My point being, if Vogel and Spoelstra didn't trust him when it mattered the most, why would Stevens, a defensive-minded coach, himself, buck the trend?  This move makes absolutely no sense, imo, unless of course Green can replace James Young's hairdos, lol, if the latter is even on the team, which I really hope won't be the case.  Just give Hunter those minutes, instead.  I get the whole 'if he's good enough he'll earn them' thing, but this also applies to Brown, as well, and since Stevens has absolutely no interest in player development, imo, why should we believe that he'll play a rookie, 3rd pick in the draft or not, not to mention a 2nd year player to be in Hunter, over a veteran like Green?  If Ainge had wanted another shooter off of the bench, he should have kept the 31st pick and taken Malcolm Brogdon, imo, who impacts the game in ways that Green simply cannot.  Ugh. 

Of course, he also could have looked into undrafted guys like Danuel House and Jarrod Uthoff, to name a couple, but let's not open that can of worms, lol ;D. Sigh.

Let's conveniently ignore his time in Phoenix, like a Fox news report. But here are the facts,
6'7 leapers who can hit the trey ball.  Brad Stevens and IT will be happy to have someone who can score beyond 12 feet.

Not the addition many were expecting or hoping for, he is there to do a job. The question now is 'has Danny finished the signings for next season.' I doubt it and expect there will be more. Maybe only tinkering and not a big deal. Still hold some hope for a more significant addition but can see Green helping the team as it is.

« Reply #145 on: July 23, 2016, 10:00:53 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

We should have brought Marbury back for 09-10, imo.  He would have been yuge ;D off of the bench, but I'm probably alone in that view, lol ;D.

« Reply #146 on: July 23, 2016, 10:03:21 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269

We should have brought Marbury back for 09-10, imo.  He would have been yuge ;D off of the bench, but I'm probably alone in that view, lol ;D.

From what I remember, Marbury didn't want to come back. Didn't he have a beef with Pierce?

« Reply #147 on: July 23, 2016, 10:07:42 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Umm, the only reason why I didn't include his time in Phoenix is because both Miami and Indiana went deep into the postseason during those years, respectively, plus the coaching factor, which I think is a possible indicator of how Stevens could use him, or not, especially in the playoffs.  I just feel that those Pacers and Heat teams were a much better comparison for us than the Suns, who didn't even make the playoffs when he was there, although they were in a much tougher conference, then, as opposed to Indiana and Miami, no doubt.

« Reply #148 on: July 23, 2016, 10:17:52 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

From what I remember, Marbury didn't want to come back. Didn't he have a beef with Pierce?

I don't remember anything like that.  Our guys loved him when he was there, iirc (there was a quote about it but I doubt that I could find it, now, unfortunately :-\).  I just wish that he had been our Vinnie Johnson/Mark Aguirre, that year.  All that we would have needed to do would have been trading Eddie House, in order to give Steph all of the minutes at either spot.  At the very least, he showed that he could essentially get off a bus and run a team, lol ;D. Sigh. I also never understood why we didn't sign Jerry Stackhouse nor Joe Smith, which was made worse by our signing of Shelden Williams :o *facepalm*. Just, why, lol ;D?  Smith would have been perfect for us, imo.  He could post up, hit the midrange shot, rebound on both ends, and did all of the Christina Aguilera work ;). Plus, he had intimate knowledge of the Cavs, we saw what he could do for Cleveland in the 2008 and 2009 playoffs, and he always seemed to play well against the Lakers, iirc.  Maybe I should make a 'why did we ever sign Shelden Williams?' thread, or maybe not, lol ;D.

« Reply #149 on: July 23, 2016, 10:21:39 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Rookies are inherently risky. Especially undrafted guys. You can count on Green to come in hit some 3s and add athleticism to the squad. He signed to the vet min for 1 year, I dont understand how some people hate the signing so much.

Ideally he rides the bench as Jaylen Brown commands the backup 3 role.

Sigh.  I know, I know, but at least both of those guys defend, especially Uthoff.  Oh well :-\.