Author Topic: Celtics sign Gerald green  (Read 15580 times)

Re: Celtics sign Gerald green
« Reply #120 on: July 23, 2016, 05:17:54 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Gerald Green is a player who's had one good shooting season and one season where he shot well in limited minutes. He is a defensive liability and has off-the-court issues that, throughout his career have included immaturity, lack of work ethic/thought, and violence.

Yet, some of the same people who've been knocking Okafor are praising Green.

Welcome to the world of crazy fandom.
Gerald Green is a career 36% three point shooter. That is all.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #121 on: July 23, 2016, 05:47:06 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Gerald Green is a player who's had one good shooting season and one season where he shot well in limited minutes.  He is a defensive liability and has off-the-court issues that, throughout his career have included immaturity, lack of work ethic/thought, and violence.

Sounds like another Jared Sullinger.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #122 on: July 23, 2016, 05:51:53 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Ugh. Stevens will likely play him before brown. Ainge has to stop giving Stevens guys that he'll use to hurt players development.

« Reply #123 on: July 23, 2016, 05:58:03 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Ugh. Stevens will likely play him before brown. Ainge has to stop giving Stevens guys that he'll use to hurt players development.

I still think there will be plenty of minutes available to Brown if he earns them.

« Reply #124 on: July 23, 2016, 06:07:15 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Love this move.

Welcome Back, Gerald Green - where it all started for him.

He's a better and more matured player this time around.

Will definitely help us.

« Reply #125 on: July 23, 2016, 06:09:35 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Green has got great hops, transition game, and a decent 3-point shot.  Stevens will find ways to use him on the second unit.  It's not a super-exciting move, but you need solid depth on the bench, and Green gives us that.

Watch a Gerald Green video and cheer up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2pq19sc6RY

« Reply #126 on: July 23, 2016, 06:16:54 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I don't like this move.  Just will get in the way of playing other guys.

« Reply #127 on: July 23, 2016, 07:22:25 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Gerald Green is a player who's had one good shooting season and one season where he shot well in limited minutes.  He is a defensive liability and has off-the-court issues that, throughout his career have included immaturity, lack of work ethic/thought, and violence.

If we could sign Jahlil Okafor on a one-year vet minimum deal, I doubt those crazy fans would object.

« Reply #128 on: July 23, 2016, 07:41:30 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I could see the re-signing of Zeller happening, unfortunately, but Gerald Green, as well?  Ahahaha, you've outdone yourself this time, Ainge.  Sushi in a car?  Oh boy! ::) ;D

Seriously, though, it looks like he's developed a nice turnaround and fadeaway jumper and another post move or two and he can come off of picks plus his athleticism, of course, but I don't think that he plays much, if any, defense.  In 2012, the Pacers signed him, and with the injury to Danny Granger, Green, in theory, was supposed to be the backup for Paul George, iirc.  Yeah, not so much. 

After starting the first 3 games of the year, he was replaced by Sam Young, lol, who was then replaced by Lance Stephenson after, again, 3 games, and it wasn't until December that he started again for two games, and probably because Stephenson was out for those two contests.  Other than that, he only started 2 more games over the rest of the season, with the last one being against the 76ers, where Vogel presumably rested George.  Green then proceeded to barely play at all during the playoffs, likely because Vogel, a defensive-minded coach, simply didn't trust him on that end of the court, and especially during crunch time.  Overall, when he wasn't starting, Gerald averaged 16.3 mpg, 6.1 ppg, 2.2 rpg, and 0.9 apg on .343 fg%, .291 from 3, and .848 from the line in 53 games off of the bench.

Now let's examine his season with the Heat last year.  While he did start 14 games for Miami, he played 55 of them in a reserve capacity, averaging 8.5 ppg, 2.3 rpg, and 0.7 apg in 20.9 mpg, on .393 fg% (which is better than his .388 fg% as a starter), .327 from 3, and .797 from the line.  What's important, though, is that once Joe Johnson signed with them, and injuries finally forced Spoelstra (again, another defensive-minded coach) to play rookie Josh Richardson, who quickly became a key cog of their team, while Green averaged just 9.9 mpg over 10 contests in March, and 17 mpg to wind things up in April, a number which was obviously skewed by his starting 2 of those 7 contests.  Once again, like Vogel, Spoelstra hardly used Green in the playoffs, aside from game 3 of the conference finals, where he inexplicably used Gerald for 20:58 over Winslow(was he hurt, or something?  I can't remember, although I don't think that that was the case, but I'm probably wrong, here, so feel free to correct me, lol ;D), who didn't even play, in that crucial contest.  Not surprisingly, the Heat lost, 95-91, although the loss of Whiteside obviously had much more of an impact on that game, as well as the series, than Gerald's performance.  Still, Green did not play in games 4 or 6, and only managed to get on the floor for a combined 13:29 in games 5 and 7.

My point being, if Vogel and Spoelstra didn't trust him when it mattered the most, why would Stevens, a defensive-minded coach, himself, buck the trend?  This move makes absolutely no sense, imo, unless of course Green can replace James Young's hairdos, lol, if the latter is even on the team, which I really hope won't be the case.  Just give Hunter those minutes, instead.  I get the whole 'if he's good enough he'll earn them' thing, but this also applies to Brown, as well, and since Stevens has absolutely no interest in player development, imo, why should we believe that he'll play a rookie, 3rd pick in the draft or not, not to mention a 2nd year player to be in Hunter, over a veteran like Green?  If Ainge had wanted another shooter off of the bench, he should have kept the 31st pick and taken Malcolm Brogdon, imo, who impacts the game in ways that Green simply cannot.  Ugh. 

Of course, he also could have looked into undrafted guys like Danuel House and Jarrod Uthoff, to name a couple, but let's not open that can of worms, lol ;D. Sigh.

« Reply #129 on: July 23, 2016, 07:48:43 PM »

Offline celticbos

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 5
This move along with the Zeller signing is a sign no trade is happening at this present time. What it says is Ainge signed two players who add depth now and also are depth if a deal comes down later. Ainge isn't sitting around waiting for a deal without covering all basis along the way.

« Reply #130 on: July 23, 2016, 08:00:38 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Of course, he also could have looked into undrafted guys like Danuel House and Jarrod Uthoff, to name a couple, but let's not open that can of worms, lol ;D. Sigh.
Rookies are inherently risky. Especially undrafted guys. You can count on Green to come in hit some 3s and add athleticism to the squad. He signed to the vet min for 1 year, I dont understand how some people hate the signing so much.

Ideally he rides the bench as Jaylen Brown commands the backup 3 role.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #131 on: July 23, 2016, 08:05:17 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
This move along with the Zeller signing is a sign no trade is happening at this present time. What it says is Ainge signed two players who add depth now and also are depth if a deal comes down later. Ainge isn't sitting around waiting for a deal without covering all basis along the way.

No trade?

« Reply #132 on: July 23, 2016, 08:10:11 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

You've been here quite awhile. You remember how upset posters were when he was traded to Minny? LOL.

I don't pay attention to career scrubs in the league, so maybe Green can play a little defense and maybe he won't go brain-dead on the floor all the time.

We'll just have to see.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #133 on: July 23, 2016, 08:11:11 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Does anyone know when Green can be used in a trade? Is it after February? Or can he be traded immediately?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #134 on: July 23, 2016, 08:15:09 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
A lot of hate for a guy that gives you the same offense type plays as Crowder that we praised Crowder for. Hit the open J or drive. And he is going to be doing it for us for the min. It's a solid signing. If he played better D he would be make 8-10 million per.