Author Topic: Celtics sign Gerald green  (Read 15535 times)

Re: Celtics sign Gerald green
« Reply #105 on: July 23, 2016, 03:07:27 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Gerald Green is a pretty good shooter. That's why he's here.

He'll probably just play some spot minutes here and there for shooting. Not good news for RJ and James Young. I wonder how that effects Brown's role this year.

A major upgrade over James Young and probably RJ. Perhaps we can trade Young for a rack of practice balls.
I think I read the other day that we have 13 under contract. Zeller Demetrius and Green make 16, then I suppose Bentil counts as 17. That means at the least 1 guy is getting cut. Its got to be Young doesnt it?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #106 on: July 23, 2016, 03:11:23 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
That means at the least 1 guy is getting cut. Its got to be Young doesnt it?

It has to be Young.

« Reply #107 on: July 23, 2016, 03:12:35 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I'm just excited to dig this out of storage.

« Reply #108 on: July 23, 2016, 03:14:01 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Green actually hasn't been a particularly good shooter for a couple years now, but perhaps on the Celts he'll have a minor renaissance.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #109 on: July 23, 2016, 03:30:41 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
Gerald Green is a pretty good shooter. That's why he's here.

He'll probably just play some spot minutes here and there for shooting. Not good news for RJ and James Young. I wonder how that effects Brown's role this year.
Actually I think he's in the rotation and getting consistent minutes every game at least to start.  They probably hope Brown can take his minutes 2nd half of the season but right now he's taking Turner's spot.

Well, I'd hope we find a way to get Brown some time somehow. He's too good for the D League.

But the bench unit is really lacking shooting. The 4 spot is the only position with decent shooters off the Bench with Jerebko and KO. And chances are you need one of Horford/Amir on the floor almost all the time. I mean look at this line up

Rozier/Smart/Brown/Jerebko/Johnson (I want KO to start)

Unless one of those guys makes a big jump in shooting, that line up is gonna struggle to space the floor. Green gives us a really good shooter to put at the 2 or 3. Lends well to their up-tempo style as well. A lot of versatility there, Rozier can play the 1 and 2, Smart can play 1-3, Green can play 2/3, Brown can play 2-4, Jerebko can play 3-5 and Amir can play the 4/5 effectively. Assuming the shooting is there, the bench looks set up well to play the switching D Stevens loves.

I think we're going to outperform common expectations again this year.

« Reply #110 on: July 23, 2016, 03:33:48 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
Green actually hasn't been a particularly good shooter for a couple years now, but perhaps on the Celts he'll have a minor renaissance.

Eh, in the past 3 years he's been at 40%, 35% and 33%. We generate a LOT of great looks. I think he'll be around 35-37% here. That's enough for what we need from him.

« Reply #111 on: July 23, 2016, 03:46:31 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
That means at the least 1 guy is getting cut. Its got to be Young doesnt it?

It has to be Young.
\
Is he worth a future non-protected 2nd rounder?

« Reply #112 on: July 23, 2016, 03:51:48 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
WHAT is the catch here? How did he fall in our lap?

I do not care much about his defense, what I want to know is does he have a J?

« Reply #113 on: July 23, 2016, 03:53:10 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Love this signing!! Just what we needed, an offensive spark plug!

« Reply #114 on: July 23, 2016, 04:12:12 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
Just got my answer looks like he has a very smooth outside game. Kudos to DA from solving the shooting problem.

Does Green become our best pure shooter with height?

« Reply #115 on: July 23, 2016, 04:20:26 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Just got my answer looks like he has a very smooth outside game. Kudos to DA from solving the shooting problem.

Kelly is our best pure shooter
I'm bitter.

« Reply #116 on: July 23, 2016, 04:35:40 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Eh, in the past 3 years he's been at 40%, 35% and 33%. We generate a LOT of great looks. I think he'll be around 35-37% here. That's enough for what we need from him.

Yup.

I would love more of a sniper but around 35% is just fine.  Another shooter will help.

Hunter and Young get a shooters label but don't shoot well percentage wise when they've played.  Having him and knowing he can knock down the shot pretty well is a plus.

As I said previously, I think Brown will earn minutes over him with his play but Green will play for sure.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #117 on: July 23, 2016, 04:53:25 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

Kelly is our best pure shooter

Surely you do not mean Kelly 'I have not seen a shot I would not pass up' Olynyk?

« Reply #118 on: July 23, 2016, 05:04:13 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
>People complain that we need shooting
>Danny signs a cheap shooter on a short-term deal
>People complain that he will take time away from non-shooter

As cheap signings go, I kind of like it. We need shooting, especially at SG/SF, and the playoffs last year proved we need depth. Green gives us both, and it's short term. If Brown can't get minutes over Green (pretty much the definition of a replacement player), then he doesn't deserve them.  I think the biggest effect will be making Brown work a little harder in practice (especially on his shooting), which is a good thing

I give it a solid 7/10, 8/10 if it's for less than the room exception

^this tbh. it was a pretty good though not spectacular signing; given the names that were available and the money we saw being thrown previously, I would expect more ppl to be satisfied with this development.

Now, because I see this coming up a lot: it is not so clear that the more mins a young player plays the better he gets/the faster he improves. First of all, many make the claim (which to me at least seems reasonable) that it is meaningful mins, not mins in general, that rly matter - for instance, playing a good playoff series matters more than the equal number of games in the regular season; playing next to veterans or high calibre players adds value too to the mins your rookies get.
tl;dr it is not as simple as the more the better.

for more on this, this article is one of the best that I know of on the topic

« Reply #119 on: July 23, 2016, 05:06:28 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
Gerald Green is a player who's had one good shooting season and one season where he shot well in limited minutes.  He is a defensive liability and has off-the-court issues that, throughout his career have included immaturity, lack of work ethic/thought, and violence.

Yet, some of the same people who've been knocking Okafor are praising Green.

Welcome to the world of crazy fandom.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.