Author Topic: Report: C's worried about Okafor's off-court issues; not offering much in trade  (Read 9616 times)

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Wow, an article comes out that is dead on alligned with my thoughts. Why on Earth would we trade away top picks and our top players for a player who has zero self control off the court. Hey, maybe he will mature in a few years like Rodman or Baker or any other player with a bad history off the court.

Oh, by the way, it appears no other GM in the league is willing to trade for Okafor as well. I guess common sense does win out in the end.

Thank God Ainge is out GM and not dumb enough to be fleeced. Common sense...when there is writing on the wall...it usually means there is writing on the wall

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
According to Basketball Insiders, the Sixers have only $60-$70 million in guaranteed contracts for this year. Why the urgency to let him go for next to nothing when they can wait for the inevitable serious NBA injury to a playoff team?

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
According to Basketball Insiders, the Sixers have only $60-$70 million in guaranteed contracts for this year. Why the urgency to let him go for next to nothing when they can wait for the inevitable serious NBA injury to a playoff team?
Yup, and there's another injury angle here:  I do not believe the sixers are confident that Embiid is coming back fully healthy, regardless of what they say publicly.  He may end up being another Greg Oden.

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Off court issues is a red herring. He has done nothing in Philly or anyplace else except in Boston. Defending teammates against a bunch of thugs.

Ainge is just trying to drive the price down. Pretty obvious.

You call getting a gun pulled on him in a club in Philly (with no teammates with him) and going 110 mph over a bridge defending teammates against a bunch of thugs?
His off-court "issues" are a joke. He is a new millionaire and went 110....wow. This is a good thing bc it just drives the price down on him.

It's not like he didn't rip us apart in his first game ever.....so those who say we are an NBA2k group, why don;t you look at how he had his way with us in his first ever NBA game.

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/07/boston_celtics_trade_rumors_20_211.html

I didn't see this anywhere else in the Okafor threads, so here you go. Just another report showing our unwillingness to spend very much to get this guy. So much for Okafor being worth something like Smart or one of the Brooklyn picks, huh?

I mean this isn't surprising. We got the NBA 2k crowd looking at his stats, but not considering other factors. This guy didn't exactly do to well in his two nights in Boston.

Perfectly stated.

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
Posturing.  Not going to work.  But hopefully we somehow pull off trading for him. 

It's pretty simply, really.  If Boston isn't willing to give up substantial assets for Okafor (like Smart + the future Brooklyn picks), there's no point to Philly trading them Okafor.

That would be an insane overpay and an all-time worst trade by Danny Ainge.  No way Philly gets anything like that for Okafor.

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
1) For the people thinking this is the Celtics trying to decrease Okafors value, the article was actually written by  Keith Pompey of the Philly.com and the inquirer daily news out of Philly  http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/sixers/Okafor-to-Boston-not-a-good-deal-for-Sixers.html
Right.  He's responding to the rumors that Okafor's trade value is low.  The entire point of the article is:  "If his trade value is that low, there's no point in trading him". 

He's right.

There's no need to trade him right now because we're months away from training camp.  That does not mean, however, that Philly doesn't need to trade somebody because not only could Okafor's value drop further, the log jam he creates could lower the value of Noel, Embiid and Saric.

Mike

I agree.  There is no pressing need for Philly to trade Okafor at this very minute.  Right now he is the starting C.  Embiid hasn't played a minute of basketball in the NBA - you can't bank on him for anything. 

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
1) For the people thinking this is the Celtics trying to decrease Okafors value, the article was actually written by  Keith Pompey of the Philly.com and the inquirer daily news out of Philly  http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/sixers/Okafor-to-Boston-not-a-good-deal-for-Sixers.html
Right.  He's responding to the rumors that Okafor's trade value is low.  The entire point of the article is:  "If his trade value is that low, there's no point in trading him". 

He's right.

There's no need the trade him right now because we're months away from training camp.  That does not mean, however, that Philly doesn't need to trade somebody because not only could Okafor's value drop further, the log jam he creates could lower the value of Noel, Embiid and Saric.

Mike
Nah.  Okafor's "perceived value" isn't dropping further. 

Philly will be interesting to watch.  It will be fun to see if going big (while everyone else is going small) has some advantages.  I certainly don't expect it given their ages, but I'm not going to be stunned if they make the playoffs.  The guys they drafted have a ton of talent and potential.  I wouldn't be shocked to see a couple of those guys impress early.

If Philly gets to a position where they NEED to trade Okafor or Noel it means Embiid is thriving. And if Embiid is thriving, they probably don't "NEED" to do much of anything.   Interesting paradox there.

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

He's right.

There's no need the trade him right now because we're months away from training camp.  That does not mean, however, that Philly doesn't need to trade somebody because not only could Okafor's value drop further, the log jam he creates could lower the value of Noel, Embiid and Saric.

Mike
Nah.  Okafor's "perceived value" isn't dropping further. 

Philly will be interesting to watch.  It will be fun to see if going big (while everyone else is going small) has some advantages.  I certainly don't expect it given their ages, but I'm not going to be stunned if they make the playoffs.  The guys they drafted have a ton of talent and potential.  I wouldn't be shocked to see a couple of those guys impress early.

If Philly gets to a position where they NEED to trade Okafor or Noel it means Embiid is thriving. And if Embiid is thriving, they probably don't "NEED" to do much of anything.   Interesting paradox there.
of course you wouldn't.  you're the one person who kept touting Brooklyn as a playoff team last year.   ::)

Philly should be better than last year but unless Simmons is the second coming of Magic Johnson, they won't sniff the playoffs.  maybe a 25-win team this year if Saric is as good a prospect as they hope.