Author Topic: Report: C's worried about Okafor's off-court issues; not offering much in trade  (Read 9652 times)

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Posturing.  Not going to work.  But hopefully we somehow pull off trading for him. 

It's pretty simply, really.  If Boston isn't willing to give up substantial assets for Okafor (like Smart + the future Brooklyn picks), there's no point to Philly trading them Okafor.

Which by the way... is the entire point of Keith Pompay's article masslive is spinning.  From the original article:

It doesn’t make sense to trade Jahlil Okafor to the Boston Celtics unless the 76ers' only goal is to dump one of their bigs at any cost.

That’s basically all they would be doing by trading him to their Eastern Conference foe.

His point is that it doesn't seem (according to unsubstantiated whispers) that Boston is willing to pay much for Okafor right now.  And until they do, there's no sense in trading Okafor to the Celtics.  Philly wants equal value.  Unless Boston gives up equal value, there's no reason to do a deal.

I realize this is an exercise in futility with you, but they literally have no leverage. If Embiid is healthy, then there is no way that they can keep Okafor, Noel, AND Embiid to start the season.
Of course they can.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Posturing.  Not going to work.  But hopefully we somehow pull off trading for him. 

It's pretty simply, really.  If Boston isn't willing to give up substantial assets for Okafor (like Smart + the future Brooklyn picks), there's no point to Philly trading them Okafor.

Which by the way... is the entire point of Keith Pompay's article masslive is spinning.  From the original article:

It doesn’t make sense to trade Jahlil Okafor to the Boston Celtics unless the 76ers' only goal is to dump one of their bigs at any cost.

That’s basically all they would be doing by trading him to their Eastern Conference foe.

His point is that it doesn't seem (according to unsubstantiated whispers) that Boston is willing to pay much for Okafor right now.  And until they do, there's no sense in trading Okafor to the Celtics.  Philly wants equal value.  Unless Boston gives up equal value, there's no reason to do a deal.

The funny thing is that fans read this stuff and go, "See Okafor's trade value is low!" and assume that means you can get him for one of our d-leaguers.  That's not how it works.  That's not how any of this works.  Even if you believe that nobody is willing to pay a lot for him - that just means they will not trade him.  It doesn't mean you can get him for nothing.

No, the real funny thing is that you keep denying all of these rumors that cut down his trade value just because they don't fit your narrative. It's going to be hilarious to watch you eat Philly crow once again when he's trade for much less value than you keep on naively suggesting.   ;D
I'll be shocked if he gets traded at all. For all I know, the 76ers are dumb enough to start Simmons at SF, and Embiid may or may not ever be ready to be an NBA player.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922

The funny thing is that fans read this stuff and go, "See Okafor's trade value is low!" and assume that means you can get him for one of our d-leaguers.  That's not how it works.  That's not how any of this works.  Even if you believe that nobody is willing to pay a lot for him - that just means they will not trade him.  It doesn't mean you can get him for nothing.

No, the real funny thing is that you keep denying all of these rumors that cut down his trade value just because they don't fit your narrative. It's going to be hilarious to watch you eat Philly crow once again when he's trade for much less value than you keep on naively suggesting.   ;D
I'll be shocked if he gets traded at all. For all I know, the 76ers are dumb enough to start Simmons at SF, and Embiid may or may not ever be ready to be an NBA player.

If Embiid ends up being questionable again, then they can justify keeping him, though he'll certainly not develop to his ceiling there with that logjam.

But the Colangelos are running that organization now, and I don't think they're dumb enough to keep all of them. They'll absolutely destroy their values by doing so.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
If Embiid ends up being questionable again, then they can justify keeping him, though he'll certainly not develop to his ceiling there with that logjam.

But the Colangelos are running that organization now, and I don't think they're dumb enough to keep all of them. They'll absolutely destroy their values by doing so.
Well, he hasn't played a minute of pro ball, and has been out of organized ball for more than 2 years. If I were in Philly, I'd be worried about cleaning house to give him minutes. But then again, I'd trust the brass there to always make the wrong decision at this point. There's no other explanation about why this franchise has been this bad for this long.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

Well, he hasn't played a minute of pro ball, and has been out of organized ball for more than 2 years. If I were in Philly, I'd be worried about cleaning house to give him minutes. But then again, I'd trust the brass there to always make the wrong decision at this point. There's no other explanation about why this franchise has been this bad for this long.

Well, again, they've made better moves since the Colangelos have been there. Most of the horrible decisions were due to Hinkie operating on a theory of team building that doesn't necessarily translate to the real world where team fit, development, and roles/positions actually matter.

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Keep thinking that, man. Your pie in the sky thinking on Philly has no limits.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Well, again, they've made better moves since the Colangelos have been there. Most of the horrible decisions were due to Hinkie operating on a theory of team building that doesn't necessarily translate to the real world where team fit, development, and roles/positions actually matter.
Perhaps. But I just did the math on Embiid: he started playing basketball at 15, and moved to the US at 16. So that's 2 years of US high school basketball, 1 year at Kansas, and 2 seasons missed with an injury. Even if he's healthy, I'm not sure what you're going to be getting from him and when.

On the bright side, though, I hear he used the time to add a three-point shot. Perhaps he's going to come in this year and make me eat my words.

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Noel or no deal.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Embiid more than likely will be on a minute restriction.  They can justify keeping all three of their bigs regardless.   We have a billion guards on our roster and we make it work.  They can handle splitting minutes between three 7 footers for now.   Simmons will basically be playing point.  They can play Saric at SF.   They don't need to do anything right now.  Nobody needs to do anything right now.  The season is a foregone conclusion anyways unless a couple of Golden State's All-NBA players have season-ending injuries.  Philly might as well hold onto their star prospects, regardless of position, until someone is willing to trade star prospects at different positions. 

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Oh, I totally forgot about Saric.

I don't think he can play SF. Not any better than Simmons, that is.

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Wonder if they've discussed protecting the pick.  I'd favor trading Nets '17 or '18 if top 5 protected.  Even top 3.   I think this would work fine with the swap.   Send Rozier or Brown (maybe Smart) plus:

Top 5 protected '17; if doesn't convey then Nets '18 top 3 protected; if doesn't convey, then Philly gets Boston '18 plus Memphis '19.   Err, something like that.

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Oh, I totally forgot about Saric.

I don't think he can play SF. Not any better than Simmons, that is.

Yeah, he's not quick enough to play the 3. In fact, his athleticism is his biggest knock. His best position is likely as a playmaking 4, but that's also Simmons' best spot.

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
"Word out of Boston" it is then, eh? Seems legit.

Do you
 1) Think we would give up a Brooklyn pick for Okafor?
2) Give up Brown for him (which by any account, and logic, is a trade we could have made draft night)

Otherwise what part are you disagreeing with?

Most likely about Nets picks. Danny is treating those picks like his son or daughter. He's probably holding out for that 19th? pick he has.

Chances are the Nets will be better next year. Maybe 5-10 in lottery. The year after, probably the teens. Think ahead, Danny. They won't be #3 overall again.

You realize that Vegas has set their win total the lowest in the league at 17.5 wins? It is projected, by Vegas, to be the number 1 draft slot going into the lottery. I would like to know what 9 teams you think have the potential to be better than the Nets next year also. I agree the 2018 is a lot harder to project, but their more most likely next move is to trade Lopez who turns 29 next year.

Yeah, there's literally no justification for saying the Nets will be better next year when all indications are that they're the worst team in the league, even worse than last year with those below them significantly improving. That's as crazy as LarBrd33 calling Brooklyn a borderline playoff team last summer.

Idk, man, RHJ will really help their defense, Chris McCullough will probably contribute, offensively, at least, and if Caris Levert is good to go he'll give them an excellent two way player, imo, plus Jeremy Lin.  You never know.  Personally, I thought that the Nets got better the second that they fired Billy King, lol ;D.

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Wonder if they've discussed protecting the pick.  I'd favor trading Nets '17 or '18 if top 5 protected.  Even top 3.   I think this would work fine with the swap.   Send Rozier or Brown (maybe Smart) plus:

Top 5 protected '17; if doesn't convey then Nets '18 top 3 protected; if doesn't convey, then Philly gets Boston '18 plus Memphis '19.   Err, something like that.

You can't protect a pick that's traded to you.

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

Embiid more than likely will be on a minute restriction.  They can justify keeping all three of their bigs regardless.   We have a billion guards on our roster and we make it work.  They can handle splitting minutes between three 7 footers for now.   Simmons will basically be playing point.  They can play Saric at SF.   They don't need to do anything right now.  Nobody needs to do anything right now.  The season is a foregone conclusion anyways unless a couple of Golden State's All-NBA players have season-ending injuries.  Philly might as well hold onto their star prospects, regardless of position, until someone is willing to trade star prospects at different positions.

That's a false analogy. We have four (or five tops) guards who will get minutes on our roster (IT, Smart, Bradley, Rozier, Brown at the 2). However, that's spread out over two positions (three with Smart and Brown going to play regular minutes at the 3 spot, too), and literally three of those five will regularly share the court together.

Embiid, Noel, and Okafor simply cannot share the floor together, which was proven last year, because they're all pure centers. This, it's not even close to similar to our guard situation.