Author Topic: Report: C's worried about Okafor's off-court issues; not offering much in trade  (Read 9660 times)

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/07/boston_celtics_trade_rumors_20_211.html

I didn't see this anywhere else in the Okafor threads, so here you go. Just another report showing our unwillingness to spend very much to get this guy. So much for Okafor being worth something like Smart or one of the Brooklyn picks, huh?

What a player is worth, and what one particular team is willing to give for a player, are often quite different things.

I agree, and I said as much above. But since we're the only team in the with Smart and Brooklyn picks, I don't see how this comment is off-base at all. He's not "worth" Smart and/or Brooklyn picks to the only team in the league that has those particular assets.

Then you're being willfully blind and/or deliberately misleading.

Or you're just using confirmation bias to see what you want to see?

I literally said "Just another report showing OUR unwillingness to SPEND very much to get this guy. So much for Okafor being worth something like Smart or one of the Brooklyn picks, huh?"

I'm OBVIOUSLY talking about his WORTH subjective to us and how much WE'RE WILLING TO SPEND. You're making a ridiculous semantic argument that amounts to nothing more than splitting hairs. Perhaps you should read posts closer before making illogical comments like this...

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
The article seems like it's part of the Celtics negotiation. Like they were trying to buy a used car:

"We are interested in him, but he has a few warts that we're concerned about. How about I make you a solid offer and leave it on the table."

For some reason I pictured Danny laying on his back on a skateboard trying to roll between Okafor's legs

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/07/boston_celtics_trade_rumors_20_211.html

I didn't see this anywhere else in the Okafor threads, so here you go. Just another report showing our unwillingness to spend very much to get this guy. So much for Okafor being worth something like Smart or one of the Brooklyn picks, huh?

What a player is worth, and what one particular team is willing to give for a player, are often quite different things.

I agree, and I said as much above. But since we're the only team in the with Smart and Brooklyn picks, I don't see how this comment is off-base at all. He's not "worth" Smart and/or Brooklyn picks to the only team in the league that has those particular assets.
you know full well that wasn't the tone or implication of your post.

Good Lord, you Okafor-apologists are like a cult lol

I was OBVIOUSLY talking about the subjective worth and how much that WE are willing to spend to get Okafor. I never said anything about his objective worth around the league. If Danny doesn't think he's WORTH a Brookyn pick, then he's not going to be willing to SPEND a Brokklyn pick to get him. You guys are simply making semantic arguments to try and split hairs to further support your binky in Okafor.

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

I was OBVIOUSLY talking about the subjective worth and how much that WE are willing to spend to get Okafor. I never said anything about his objective worth around the league. If Danny doesn't think he's WORTH a Brookyn pick, then he's not going to be willing to SPEND a Brokklyn pick to get him. You guys are simply making semantic arguments to try and split hairs to further support your binky in Okafor.

I agree with you (not worth but what you said), your comments on the first page were about his worth in relation to us. You said it multiple times in the post.

Edit
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

Offline PaulP34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
"Word out of Boston" it is then, eh? Seems legit.

if you are going to make snarky comments about it, I would like to know what part you honestly disagree with.

Do you
 1) Think we would give up a Brooklyn pick for Okafor?
2) Give up Brown for him (which by any account, and logic, is a trade we could have made draft night)

Otherwise what part are you disagreeing with?

By them saying we won't give much for him I'm guessing we give neither of those for him. Maybe more like a 019 Memphis pick ?

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
The Sixers have been shopping this guy around the league for for over a month without success.

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656

I literally said "Just another report showing OUR unwillingness to SPEND very much to get this guy. So much for Okafor being worth something like Smart or one of the Brooklyn picks, huh?"

I'm OBVIOUSLY talking about his WORTH subjective to us and how much WE'RE WILLING TO SPEND. You're making a ridiculous semantic argument that amounts to nothing more than splitting hairs. Perhaps you should read posts closer before making illogical comments like this...

No, I was responding to your post, and confirmation bias has nothing to do with it.  If one accepts the general premise of this last post of yours, the problem was poor writing on your end in your first post.  "So much for Okafor being worth something like Smart or one of the Brooklyn picks, huh?"  is a general comment on worth, not an individually tailored comment about what the team is willing to pay, and that is what I noted in response.  You then chose to defend your position instead of just acknowledging that your writing was the problem. 

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

I agree with you (not worth but what you said), your comments on the first page were about his worth in relation to us. You said it multiple times in the post.

Edit

Haha TP! At least we agree on this after our discussion last night!  :P

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

No, I was responding to your post, and confirmation bias has nothing to do with it.  If one accepts the general premise of this last post of yours, the problem was poor writing on your end in your first post.  "So much for Okafor being worth something like Smart or one of the Brooklyn picks, huh?"  is a general comment on worth, not an individually tailored comment about what the team is willing to pay, and that is what I noted in response.  You then chose to defend your position instead of just acknowledging that your writing was the problem.

I.e. a semantical argument that amounts to splitting hairs, as I said.  :P

Dude, just give it up. You read it wrong - no big deal. I established in the second sentence that I was specifically talking about OUR SUBJECTIVE VALUATION OF HIS WORTH. Thus, how much we're willing to spend is directly correlated with how much SUBJECTIVE WORTH he has to us.

Further, since WE'RE the only team that has the particular assets of Smart and the Brooklyn picks, how is that a general comment on worth and not specific to Boston's evaluation of his worth??

That makes literally zero sense. That is like me saying, "For Boston, Okafor is worth D'Angelo Russell in a trade." It's nonsensical, because those tradable assets are limited to the team who actually has them to utilize!

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Posturing.  Not going to work.  But hopefully we somehow pull off trading for him. 

It's pretty simply, really.  If Boston isn't willing to give up substantial assets for Okafor (like Smart + the future Brooklyn picks), there's no point to Philly trading them Okafor.

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I would like to add Okafor but there is no way I give up Smart.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Posturing.  Not going to work.  But hopefully we somehow pull off trading for him. 

It's pretty simply, really.  If Boston isn't willing to give up substantial assets for Okafor (like Smart + the future Brooklyn picks), there's no point to Philly trading them Okafor.

Which by the way... is the entire point of Keith Pompay's article masslive is spinning.  From the original article:

It doesn’t make sense to trade Jahlil Okafor to the Boston Celtics unless the 76ers' only goal is to dump one of their bigs at any cost.

That’s basically all they would be doing by trading him to their Eastern Conference foe.

His point is that it doesn't seem (according to unsubstantiated whispers) that Boston is willing to pay much for Okafor right now.  And until they do, there's no sense in trading Okafor to the Celtics.  Philly wants equal value.  Unless Boston gives up equal value, there's no reason to do a deal.

The funny thing is that fans read this stuff and go, "See Okafor's trade value is low!" and assume that means you can get him for one of our d-leaguers.  That's not how it works.  That's not how any of this works.  Even if you believe that nobody is willing to pay a lot for him - that just means they will not trade him.  It doesn't mean you can get him for nothing.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 07:11:41 PM by LarBrd33 »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

Which by the way... is the entire point of Keith Pompay's article masslive is spinning.  From the original article:

It doesn’t make sense to trade Jahlil Okafor to the Boston Celtics unless the 76ers' only goal is to dump one of their bigs at any cost.

That’s basically all they would be doing by trading him to their Eastern Conference foe.

His point is that it doesn't seem (according to unsubstantiated whispers) that Boston is willing to pay much for Okafor right now.  And until they do, there's no sense in trading Okafor to the Celtics.  Philly wants equal value.  Unless Boston gives up equal value, there's no reason to do a deal.

I realize this is an exercise in futility with you, but they literally have no leverage. If Embiid is healthy, then there is no way that they can keep Okafor, Noel, AND Embiid to start the season. We've already seen how much his value has dropped in just one year in Philly due to their log jam (couldn't even command the number three pick in a weaker draft), so there's absolutely no way that they can keep him and drop his value even more with an even bigger logjam at the bigs positions.

They'll end up much trading him for value much lower than you think, and if he goes to Boston I guarantee that it won't be for a Brooklyn pick, Smart, or Brown, let alone any combination of those.

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

I realize this is an exercise in futility with you, but they literally have no leverage. If Embiid is healthy, then there is no way that they can keep Okafor, Noel, AND Embiid to start the season. We've already seen how much his value has dropped in just one year in Philly due to their log jam (couldn't even command the number three pick in a weaker draft), so there's absolutely no way that they can keep him and drop his value even more with an even bigger logjam at the bigs positions.

They'll end up much trading him for value much lower than you think, and if he goes to Boston I guarantee that it won't be for a Brooklyn pick, Smart, or Brown, let alone any combination of those.

but larbrd likes okafor, so... shanigans...

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

The funny thing is that fans read this stuff and go, "See Okafor's trade value is low!" and assume that means you can get him for one of our d-leaguers.  That's not how it works.  That's not how any of this works.  Even if you believe that nobody is willing to pay a lot for him - that just means they will not trade him.  It doesn't mean you can get him for nothing.

No, the real funny thing is that you keep denying all of these rumors that cut down his trade value just because they don't fit your narrative. It's going to be hilarious to watch you eat Philly crow once again when he's trade for much less value than you keep on naively suggesting.   ;D