Author Topic: Report: C's worried about Okafor's off-court issues; not offering much in trade  (Read 9651 times)

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Off court issues is a red herring. He has done nothing in Philly or anyplace else except in Boston. Defending teammates against a bunch of thugs.

Ainge is just trying to drive the price down. Pretty obvious.

Nyet.  The Boston fight was his third (publicly known) incident.

There was the October fight in Philly (outside a nightclub at 2am) in which he had a gun pulled on him:  http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelphia-sixers/witness-gun-pulled-jahlil-okafor-october-old-city-altercation

There was the time 2 weeks later where he drive 108 in a 45 mph zone, with police tailing him for two minutes: http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/jahlil-okafor-76ers-speeding-108-mph-video-ben-franklin-bridge-022216

And then the fight a month later.

Philly had to hire a babysitter for him.  The Celtics have more important things to focus on than keeping Jahlil Okafor in line.  I don't blame Ainge for a lack of interest.

Online celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 572
"Word out of Boston" it is then, eh? Seems legit.

Do you
 1) Think we would give up a Brooklyn pick for Okafor?
2) Give up Brown for him (which by any account, and logic, is a trade we could have made draft night)

Otherwise what part are you disagreeing with?

Most likely about Nets picks. Danny is treating those picks like his son or daughter. He's probably holding out for that 19th? pick he has.

Chances are the Nets will be better next year. Maybe 5-10 in lottery. The year after, probably the teens. Think ahead, Danny. They won't be #3 overall again.

You may be right about 2 years from now, but what makes you think they are going to be be better next year? I personally can't think of a team that is worse on paper.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

if you are going to make snarky comments about it, I would like to know what part you honestly disagree with.
It's a poorly sourced comment from an author whose only other Celtics-related piece of news was pretty much referencing A Sherrod. Forgive me if I'm skeptical. Whether or not the team really is concerned about Okafor's issues, whether this was an excuse to lowball the 76er, or whether it's an outright speculation is anyone's guess at this point.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

Do you
2) Give up Brown for him (which by any account, and logic, is a trade we could have made draft night)

Most likely about Nets picks. Danny is treating those picks like his son or daughter. He's probably holding out for that 19th? pick he has.

Chances are the Nets will be better next year. Maybe 5-10 in lottery. The year after, probably the teens. Think ahead, Danny. They won't be #3 overall again.

You may be right about 2 years from now, but what makes you think they are going to be be better next year? I personally can't think of a team that is worse on paper.

nobody can seriously say that.. he was being provocative or pessimistic for the sake of it.

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Well, that DeadMik guy was right about this lol. Hardly a report though. It's pretty common sense.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/07/boston_celtics_trade_rumors_20_211.html

I didn't see this anywhere else in the Okafor threads, so here you go. Just another report showing our unwillingness to spend very much to get this guy. So much for Okafor being worth something like Smart or one of the Brooklyn picks, huh?

What a player is worth, and what one particular team is willing to give for a player, are often quite different things.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/07/boston_celtics_trade_rumors_20_211.html

I didn't see this anywhere else in the Okafor threads, so here you go. Just another report showing our unwillingness to spend very much to get this guy. So much for Okafor being worth something like Smart or one of the Brooklyn picks, huh?
He is worth that, that is why a trade hasn't been made, Boston has just been unwilling to pay his worth to get him.

If he was worth a Brooklyn pick, other teams would make competitive offers, and they likely would've pulled the trigger on trading him by now.

Marcus Smart is worth more to the Celtics than Jahlil Okafor. They brought him to the KD meeting for a reason.

The only way we're trading for Okafor is if we don't give up any Brooklyn picks, or ANY core players (meaning Bradley, Thomas, Horford, Crowder, Brown or Smart). I'd even imagine KO is off limits on this one. Maybe even Rozier after SL.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922

What a player is worth, and what one particular team is willing to give for a player, are often quite different things.

I agree, and I said as much above. But since we're the only team in the with Smart and Brooklyn picks, I don't see how this comment is off-base at all. He's not "worth" Smart and/or Brooklyn picks to the only team in the league that has those particular assets.

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232

Do you

The Nets are worse than they were last year. Go take a look at their roster.

If I was a betting man, I'd be willing to wager a lot on the Nets not getting out of the bottom 5 this year. Ainge is right to not give up the 2017 pick for anything less than a superstar on a multi year deal. Otherwise, you keep it and add another top end talent to a 50+win team with a young roster.

Offline cornbread1981

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
Danny is creating mad leverage over Philly

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656

I agree, and I said as much above. But since we're the only team in the with Smart and Brooklyn picks, I don't see how this comment is off-base at all. He's not "worth" Smart and/or Brooklyn picks to the only team in the league that has those particular assets.

Then you're being willfully blind and/or deliberately misleading.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

you know full well that wasn't the tone or implication of your post.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Danny is creating mad leverage over Philly

I guess, but there are 28 other teams in the league who may be interested in a cost controlled #3 pick who actually showed he can perform at the NBA level (on offense).

Philly may feel they need to trade him, but it's likely another team will offer slightly less than the underwhelming package Danny is currently offering.

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
Glad Danny is thinking about our future with those possible high lottery Brooklyn picks
Rather than trying to win immediately

Okafor improves us offensively and Stevens could hide him defensively but he won't make us a contender unless he develops significantly

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
The article seems like it's part of the Celtics negotiation. Like they were trying to buy a used car:

"We are interested in him, but he has a few warts that we're concerned about. How about I make you a solid offer and leave it on the table."

The Celtics are reportedly frontrunners for him, but the offer hasn't blown Philly away they're not in a rush to trade him (they probably gave themselves an arbitrary deadline of training camp) and will continue to field offers in the meantime. Until they find a better offer, Danny will be waiting.

Instead of those incidents, I would investigate his work ethic. If that checks out, the off the court stuff will be a non issue.