Author Topic: What is the definition of a super team?  (Read 4747 times)

What is the definition of a super team?
« on: July 22, 2016, 02:46:23 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Obviously everyone is calling Golden State a Super Team, but are they really?  To determine that, you must define "Super Team".  Lots of teams have had 3 HOFers in their prime (or near prime), but very few have had 4, thus I think that is a reasonable definition of a Super Team.  So the question is, does Golden State have 4 HOFers in their prime (or near prime).  Obviously Durant and Curry are HOFers (they both might be there even if they never played again by virtue of their MVP Awards), but are Green and Thompson future HOFers?  They were both on an All NBA team this past season, so they are certainly good players, but do you see them as future HOFers?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: What is the definition of a super team?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 02:54:52 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Not yet.

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 03:12:31 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
What ever it is it is not the 2016 Knicks.

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 03:16:19 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Miami were a super-team with LeBron, Wade and Bosh so I don't think 4 HoFs is a requirement.

Yes, I do think GSW's stars on track to be HoFs. Early days still but if they continue as they have done so all 4 guys should be in the HoF someday.

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 03:18:40 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Probably Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern

Alternates: Flash. Aqua Man if it involves water

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 03:29:16 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195

Ha.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 04:22:29 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Well, whatever the definition is, the best regular season team ever + KD better fit. Otherwise your definition is simply wrong.

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 04:29:04 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Klay is one of the better shooters of all time (at least from 3), Curry makes him look like another good player but he'd probably be considered better than that if he wasn't with him (except in a shootout Klay is boss lol). klay is also the better defender. I dunno, if Curry deserves it, Klay isn't too far behind in deserving it either IMO, he is underrated next to Curry. I know Curry's MVPs will hold weight and I really enjoy watching him but Cavs woukd have been far worse without LBJ than GSW without Curry these past 2 seasons even though Curry won MVP (he deserved them but LBJ has been most valuable to his team for most of his career if voting was based on that, he w/ win them all the time).
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 04:35:19 PM by ImShakHeIsShaq »
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 04:31:27 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Miami were a super-team with LeBron, Wade and Bosh so I don't think 4 HoFs is a requirement.

Yes, I do think GSW's stars on track to be HoFs. Early days still but if they continue as they have done so all 4 guys should be in the HoF someday.
they'll probably make the hall. It's too easy in basketball, IMO

Also, I'm assuming you're talking about curry Thompson green and iggy, right   ;)
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2016, 04:43:49 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Seems like part of the definition involves the team coming together via trade or free agency after the players are already established stars, too.  I heard few if any people call Golden State a superteam even as they were winning 73; now of course the term gets applied frequently.

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2016, 04:59:34 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
super heroes? :)

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2016, 05:03:15 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
well played. a tp for you sir.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2016, 05:03:35 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

If you count that team then you have to count the Lakers of the early 2000's, the Bulls of the 90's, the Lakers and Celtics of the 80's, etc.  That is just far too many super teams.

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2016, 05:09:44 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Maybe you can't look at it from a HOFer sense.  Maybe from the position of where the players currently stand at this moment in each's respective careers.   Essentially, all 4 of these guys are smack dab in the midst of their primes and now playing on the same team.

You have first 1st team All-NBA player who happened to also be MVP, you have two 2nd team All-NBAers (one who has been an MVP in the past 3 years) and another who was 3rd team All-NBA. 

How often has that happened?   Forget the 3 or 4 HOFers on the same team.

I think that aspect is leading more to this "super" part than the whole HOFer/potential HOFer thing.  Besides, its most a media driven angle anyways.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2016, 05:19:28 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Maybe you can't look at it from a HOFer sense.  Maybe from the position of where the players currently stand at this moment in each's respective careers.   Essentially, all 4 of these guys are smack dab in the midst of their primes and now playing on the same team.

You have first 1st team All-NBA player who happened to also be MVP, you have two 2nd team All-NBAers (one who has been an MVP in the past 3 years) and another who was 3rd team All-NBA. 

How often has that happened?   Forget the 3 or 4 HOFers on the same team.

I think that aspect is leading more to this "super" part than the whole HOFer/potential HOFer thing.  Besides, its most a media driven angle anyways.
Well it is inflated because they all weren't on the same team last year, thus making it easier to get the stats required for that many on an All NBA team.  I'd be surprised if all 4 made the All NBA team this year, just won't be enough shots.