Author Topic: Crowder vs Brown  (Read 4615 times)

Re: Crowder vs Brown
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2016, 03:55:15 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
The heat rising from the hot pavement is causing a Summer League mirage.  We need the cool autumn breeze of October pre-season before we can even begin to make such a speculation.
true

I love brown, but Crowder will likely be way better this year, and probably next year too

Crowder is legit

I would, however, love it if brown steps in and kills it immediately. Probably not going to happen just yet
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2016, 04:03:19 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Hasn't even played a minute in a real NBA game and people are already asking this? Let's see if he can take Hunter's 3 minutes at least. I know he is going to get a shot like the rookies from last season before him but it doesn't mean he won't be riding the pine like they were, #3 or not I can't see CBS forcing him if he's hurting us.

Jaylen Brown > young and hunter combined during SL

You can clearly tell brown is a top 5 talent vs these 2nd round talents

Triboy, believe me, I want Brown to be so good that he supplants Jae but I want that for any player, I want the best out on the floor as much as possible. Now, there have been players that perform far better than Brown in SL who aren't good enough in the NBA to even be a backup to Jae so that argument doesn't sway anything. Rozier had a pretty good SL last season and it was probably better than Smart's SL in the games he played in both seasons, how did that help him when it came to getting minutes last season?

I'm not saying Brown can't/won't do it but SL doesn't mean much at all. He will probably get more leeway because he's a #3 pick but again, not at the detriment of the team.

I'm going to do what I always do, hope for the best and not assume it's a given. I think Brown will be better than Hunter season one but it doesn't mean it will happen. Look at how well Mickey performed in SL last season, he was clearly among the best, he still wasn't deemed good enough to get minutes. It wasn't that they said he wasn't good enough to play, he just wasn't a better option in CBS' opinion (no matter how much I wanted to see him out there).

It's just rare for a pick so high to be on a good team with such a good player already on the team at their position. Usually a pick like Brown would get plenty opportunity to show that they deserve to start (usually it's automatic start) but Brown has a tough road ahead if he is going to prove to be worthy of a shot at Jae's spot (if healthy).
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 04:12:56 PM by ImShakHeIsShaq »
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2016, 04:26:34 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Crowder was a borderline all star before he got hurt.
He came back too soon from his injury.

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2016, 07:59:02 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Only if Crowder gets injured.

Seriously, Crowder is a top 10 SF in the league and I'd be very surprised if Brown is able to surpass him in year one.

Top 10 SFs:
Lebron
Kawhi
Durant
George
Hayward
Melo
Batum
Crowder
Giannis
Parsons

Honorable mention is Barnes. Did I snub anyone?

There's a clear top 4 there, but I think Crowder holds his own with any of the rest.  FWIW, by RPM Crowder was 5th, behind your top 4.

I'd be very pleasantly surprised if Brown was half as good as Crowder this year.  If he is, you play him alongside Crowder.  Don't worry about what position they slot into, play your best players.

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2016, 08:09:00 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I for one am extremely happy that brown will play behind crowder and learn from him for 3 or so years.  What a great guy to learn from!  Brown will come into his own as he learns and ages but not year 1 or 2 for sure. 
I'd love to have crowder tutor him and then as Jae ages become Hondo off the bench.

All good!

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2016, 08:19:20 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He could but it is not likely he does folks.  It is possible but improbable.

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2016, 08:23:19 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
The way Jaylen starts out might shake things up a bit.   If he truly looks like a project, we probably stand pat through the season.   But if he comes out gangbusters, I could see Ainge making a deal to clear out a starting spot for him.   AB is the most likely candidate, in my opinion.   

Should Brown exceed expectations, I could see him winning the starting 2 job alongside Crowder.  Those two seem to compliment well.   Crowded the catch and shoot guy, Brown the playmaker.  Insert Smart and all the sudden we can go small with switchable parts all over the place.

Brown is looking at the opportunity of a lifetime, with these Boston Celtics.   That said, if he doesn't impress this year, I could see us burying him a la James Young and keeping the 17' BKL pick to replace him. 

It's on him.  How good can he be?   

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2016, 08:39:16 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Crowder starts.  He has proven he can play at a starter level.  If Brown plays at that level too, great, he will add some punch to the bench.  I doubt Brown will play that well his first season though.  Eventually yes but not that soon.  If Brown plays so well that the "problem" is who to start, it is a nice problem to have.

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2016, 08:46:38 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Brown hasn't played one NBA game yet. You might be jumping the gun a bit.

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2016, 09:09:00 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
The way Jaylen starts out might shake things up a bit.   If he truly looks like a project, we probably stand pat through the season.   But if he comes out gangbusters, I could see Ainge making a deal to clear out a starting spot for him.   AB is the most likely candidate, in my opinion.   

Should Brown exceed expectations, I could see him winning the starting 2 job alongside Crowder.  Those two seem to compliment well.   Crowded the catch and shoot guy, Brown the playmaker.  Insert Smart and all the sudden we can go small with switchable parts all over the place.

Brown is looking at the opportunity of a lifetime, with these Boston Celtics.   That said, if he doesn't impress this year, I could see us burying him a la James Young and keeping the 17' BKL pick to replace him. 

You are saying he is only going to level out at James young???

« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2016, 09:53:59 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

No, I said IF.

He's the biggest risk / reward player in the lotto.  My point is that Danny probably won't have patience for a Young-esque development curve.   He's easily replaceable by the BKL 2017 pick. 

« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2016, 10:06:01 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
No way brown becomes young
Even if he doesnt become a star he still is much valuable on other aspects
Like defense

He would at least be a good bench player
Young seems more of a bust at this point

« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2016, 10:16:59 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Browns shooting percentages in Summer league

FG%  3%    FT%
30.7  27.2   68.7

Don't think he'll be challenging for Jae's starting spot this year.

« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2016, 10:27:14 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
No chance, only if we are in developing young guys mode, and I doubt it.  Jae is what he is and I don't see his value being diminished if Brown plays great.  I think everyone knows what Crowder is at this point.

« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2016, 10:40:16 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

No, I said IF.

He's the biggest risk / reward player in the lotto.  My point is that Danny probably won't have patience for a Young-esque development curve.   He's easily replaceable by the BKL 2017 pick.

Pretty sure Bender, Thon, and Chriss are a few players who are more risk/reward than Jaylen. Especially Bender. He's the biggest risk/reward
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about