Author Topic: Crowder vs Brown  (Read 4633 times)

Crowder vs Brown
« on: July 22, 2016, 08:36:53 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Can Brown beat Crowder for the starting job this season? Maybe after the all star break?

If this happens Crowders trade value will sink a bit.

Re: Crowder vs Brown
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 08:40:25 AM »

Offline cornbread1981

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
I doubt it, jaylen still has alot to learn in his basketball decisions and all around game, crowder has one of the most sound defensive games in the league and it'll be hard for jaylen to surpass it in his first year. I would much rather jaylen comes in off the bench so he can play when the opponent is in the foul limit and their bench unit is in.

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 08:40:27 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Can Brown beat Crowder for the starting job this season? Maybe after the all star break?

Maybe.
Perhaps.
No.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 08:41:28 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Unless Brown finds his stroke and starts hitting 3s at a better rate than Crowder, or gets to the line as much as in summer league, no.

He could end up starting next to Crowder if none of our bigs besides Horford are effective, and could definitely take it by the following season, but, baring Crowder getting injured, Brown won't start over him
I'm bitter.

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 08:41:48 AM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
I doubt it, but if brown does play as well/better than crowder, I'd rather see them playing together at the forward spots than have one come off the bench.

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 08:42:55 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I doubt it, but if brown does play as well/better than crowder, I'd rather see them playing together at the forward spots than have one come off the bench.

How? None are pfs

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 08:44:26 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

How? None are pfs

Crowder played a bit at PF last year.  He doesn't have the height for it, and can't play there full time, but in spurts his strength lets him play there, especially against perimeter-oriented bigs

Edit: According to Basketball Reference, he played 22% of his minutes at PF during the regular season, and 64%(!) at PF during the playoffs
I'm bitter.

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 08:44:49 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Unless Brown finds his stroke and starts hitting 3s at a better rate than Crowder, or gets to the line as much as in summer league, no.

He could end up starting next to Crowder if none of our bigs besides Horford are effective, and could definitely take it by the following season, but, baring Crowder getting injured, Brown won't start over him

No. This is not a measure who shoots the three better

Crowder needs to hit jump shots bc he cant finish at the basket (1 on 1 basketball)

Brown can

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 08:52:03 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

It's about a lot of things, including their ability to stretch the floor.  Brown doesn't have to hit 3s better to replace Jae (as I said in the post), but it'll be a lot harder to take the starting job if he can't

Crowder needs to hit jump shots bc he cant finish at the basket (1 on 1 basketball)

Brown can

Crowder shot at just over 70% within 3 ft of the basket, making up over 27% of his shots attempted.  I don't know how you could possibly say he can't finish inside.  Brown, on the other hand, hasn't shown a consistent ability to finish inside.  I think he'll figure it out eventually, but he hasn't yet and he certainly isn't better than Crowder at it right now

Not to mention that everybody on this team needs to be able to make shots away from the basket, that's part of Brad's system
I'm bitter.

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2016, 08:54:23 AM »

Offline BigDogPitbull

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
64% in the playoffs?  That could be a big reason why we lost to Atlanta.  A trade for another big man needs to be done before the playoffs next year.

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2016, 08:57:17 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I think that's extremely unlikely.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2016, 09:00:26 AM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
64% in the playoffs?  That could be a big reason why we lost to Atlanta.  A trade for another big man needs to be done before the playoffs next year.

No KO, No Bradley, Crowder playing with severe High Ankle Strain, Sully overweight and out of gas is the reason why we lost to Atlanta.

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2016, 09:01:06 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

It's about a lot of things, including their ability to stretch the floor.  Brown doesn't have to hit 3s better to replace Jae (as I said in the post), but it'll be a lot harder to take the starting job if he can't

Brown can

Crowder shot at just over 70% within 3 ft of the basket, making up over 27% of his shots attempted.  I don't know how you could possibly say he can't finish inside.  Brown, on the other hand, hasn't shown a consistent ability to finish inside.  I think he'll figure it out eventually, but he hasn't yet and he certainly isn't better than Crowder at it right now

Not to mention that everybody on this team needs to be able to make shots away from the basket, that's part of Brad's system

Stretching the floor needs to happen if you have guys that cant do the "spectacular" otherwise

How many times have we seen teams play solid perimeter team D/while preventing the drive? (Especially the playoffs)

Crowder ability to finish at the rim depends on him getting passes/picks.  Have his man come late to defend where Jae drives to the basket.    If jae had a solid defender on him he wont try to drive past them. Nor when a solid rim protector is patrolling the basket.  But i give him credit to know when to pick his spots and drive in to finish when things are clear

Brown on the other hand is the kind of guy you can give the ball and get out the way. And he can finish around/over defenders.  In crucial situations any team can use a guy like this.

Lastly Brown didnt look like he could finish consistently around the basket during SL play because he was fouled non stop
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 09:06:27 AM by triboy16f »

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2016, 09:03:53 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I agree Brown needs to prove his worth over Jae. But clearly he is a better talent/higher upside

Its almost like comparing carroll to batum. Sure carroll is a hard worker but at the end of the day Batum is better

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2016, 09:12:22 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I could see him getting a start in place of an injured AB. He has guard speed with good size, he could do really well there. Plus he could get the starters in foul trouble in the first half of the game.

It's all going to depend on his summer, how he improves. In SL he made some good jumps from game one to the last game. But there is also no reason to rush him. It's better he learns the right way and takes a year or two to be a starter than just to throw him in before he's ready.