Author Topic: Is there a prohibition on NBA owners also owning an overseas franchise?  (Read 3180 times)

Offline Rick Robeys Return

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
  • The bringer of DJ
With all the discussion of the relative value of Yabusele going to the CBA, i.e. whether by taking the better money it hurts his development compared to playing in the Euro Leagues...And with the growing number of draft and stash players generally, I'm wondering if there is any prohibition on NBA ownership groups having a  stake in an overseas franchise.

If not, you could imagine an NBA team essentially owning (part of) a team, say in the Spanish League, and stashing players there and  paying them more than the D-League currently allows, while also keeping them in a training and development regimen consistent with the NBA team's wishes, while also putting them up against high level competition.

Presumably there is some NBA by-law against this, but just looking to confirm....

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
With all the discussion of the relative value of Yabusele going to the CBA, i.e. whether by taking the better money it hurts his development compared to playing in the Euro Leagues...And with the growing number of draft and stash players generally, I'm wondering if there is any prohibition on NBA ownership groups having a  stake in an overseas franchise.

If not, you could imagine an NBA team essentially owning (part of) a team, say in the Spanish League, and stashing players there and  paying them more than the D-League currently allows, while also keeping them in a training and development regimen consistent with the NBA team's wishes, while also putting them up against high level competition.

Presumably there is some NBA by-law against this, but just looking to confirm....

Kind of.

I'm pretty sure you can own one, or a stake in one. But I believe it has to be approved unanimously by the other owners.

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Maybe they could work out some agreement for a loan like teams do in soccer. Negotiate a fee and then you have the player for one season.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Interesting thought - I would love to see this done, even as part of an agreement with another team (not necessarily part ownership). Maybe then the NBA would take a more serious look at having a real minor league system.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Yeah, I had this idea a year or so ago, when we started accumulating so many picks.  Just create a team in Europe to place all the draft and stash guys, and hire a Stevens assistant to run it so the players come over ready to go.

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
The Spurs have done it indirectly since Tony Parker is majority owner and president of a quite good french club

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASVEL_Basket

• Jrue Holiday
  • The bringer of DJ
The Spurs have done it indirectly since Tony Parker is majority owner and president of a quite good french club

That's interesting. Is there any history of one or more of the Spurs many draft and stash players having played for ASVEL Basket?

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

That's interesting. Is there any history of one or more of the Spurs many draft and stash players having played for ASVEL Basket?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livio_Jean-Charles

and ofc Mr le President during the lockout

• Jrue Holiday
  • The bringer of DJ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livio_Jean-Charles

and ofc Mr le President during the lockout

Now we're talking! Very clever, Spurs. Worthy of emulating.

Maybe we can talk to Paul Pierce about coming on board an Exec VP for Development and encourage him to buy an Italian club side? Last trip to Rome was memorable and paid off!

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
@Rick Robeys Return

I would go for a more corrupt country than Italy tbh

You can buy a bball team for a bag of chips in Belarus and then if you have the right connections (wink, wink) ask to participate in the Russian league.

iirc CSKA has not lost a championship in 30 years or sthg  ;D but who cares since: we are only doing this to build our euro-subsidiary

• Jrue Holiday
  • The bringer of DJ
@Rick Robeys Return

You can buy a bball team for a bag of chips in Belarus and then if you have the right connections (wink, wink) ask to participate in the Russian league.

iirc CSKA has not lost a championship in 30 years or sthg  ;D but who cares since: we are only doing this to build our euro-subsidiary

Not to hate on Belarus, but if we ask our stash players to go and live in Minsk we might lose whatever benefits and good will were trying to gain....now Rome OTOH.....

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I would say they should invest some in the Philippines, as that is a basketball crazy country.

But if I remember correctly, only 2 out of the 3 conferences they play, you are only allowed to get one or two players who are not of Filipino decent called Imports.

But man, that would be fun for us. Knowing that a team is a subsidiary of an NBA team will make it even more interesting. Most Filipino pro's would probably want to play for that team, all while we can stash one or two of our Celtics prospects at the same time.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
@Rick Robeys Return

Not to hate on Belarus, but if we ask our stash players to go and live in Minsk we might lose whatever benefits and good will were trying to gain....now Rome OTOH.....

it's not that bad

I would b p happy with the Philippines too as @Yoki_IsTheName suggests

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I would say they should invest some in the Philippines, as that is a basketball crazy country.

But if I remember correctly, only 2 out of the 3 conferences they play, you are only allowed to get one or two players who are not of Filipino decent called Imports.

But man, that would be fun for us. Knowing that a team is a subsidiary of an NBA team will make it even more interesting. Most Filipino pro's would probably want to play for that team, all while we can stash one or two of our Celtics prospects at the same time.

Somehow the quality of the league isn't supposed to matter?

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

I will say, it seems like the C's are yet to master the draft and stash strategy on any level. Who has been their most successful stash--Semih? Ouch!