Author Topic: Will the Celtics rescind Zeller's qualifying offer?  (Read 4927 times)

Re: Will the Celtics rescind Zeller's qualifying offer?
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2016, 08:54:14 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
His game , as a decent backup fell off a cliff last season.

Not sure how he can be so different from one year to next.

I was hoping after Lee was let go , he'd play with new energy.

there was some confidence issue

you could see he was feeling uncomfortably at times

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2016, 10:00:13 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Taking a $6.5 million cap hit for a backup like Zeller is not a wise thing to do. Zeller did not get much PT last year, and had to be benched for his weak defense. Remember the first few games last year, when Stevens started Lee and Zeller together up front?  :laugh:

I have a hunch that Ainge will try to make the best deal possible for Okafor in the next 24 hrs, and Zeller will be gone.

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2016, 10:05:34 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
No need to. Keeping Zeller at the QO for 1 season would be a fantastic stop-gap for us.

:o In what way?

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2016, 12:11:01 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
No need to. Keeping Zeller at the QO for 1 season would be a fantastic stop-gap for us.

:o In what way?

I think he's a good backup big man that can provide some energy off the bench. For your 10th or 11th guy, he's not terrible. I wouldn't give him a long term deal- a one year deal makes sense. I'd rather keep him at short $ than overextend for Olynyk when the time comes.

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2016, 12:17:00 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Zeller re-signed on a 1+1.  As I predicted when I started this thread, it would be resolved today.

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2016, 12:32:25 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Through Saturday, outstanding qualifying offers can be rescinded unilaterally by the team. After, Saturday, however, they can only be rescinded if both parties agree.

Zeller's qualifying offer is a shade under $3.7 million.  However, he will continue to take up $6.5 million of cap space, as that is his cap hold based on his Bird rights.  Accordingly, even if the Celtics have no intention of signing Zeller to anything but his QO, he will take up more cap space until he does so, or until he signs elsewhere.  Meanwhile, once Saturday passes, they will be unable to simply clear his cap space by waiving their hands and renouncing him -- his $6.5 million hold is there until an agreement of some sort is reached.

On the other hand, maybe the team simply doesn't have any other way to spend the money that they find suitable.  In this case, waiting Zeller out might make sense.

What do you think? Will Zeller still be a restricted free agent come Sunday, will he be unrestricted, or will his situation have otherwise resolved.  I think he won't be one myself, either having had his QO rescinded or by signing some sort of new contract.  In other words, expect some news soon!
good prediction. enough for a tp salty. maybe you can share it with your baby?  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2016, 02:00:41 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Zeller re-signed on a 1+1.  As I predicted when I started this thread, it would be resolved today.
I'm curious why they chose to give him twice the QO. I mean, did he turn down other teams to come be a third-stringer with us?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2016, 02:15:49 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I'm curious why they chose to give him twice the QO. I mean, did he turn down other teams to come be a third-stringer with us?

We gave him that money because it's valuable to us, particularly in a trade when matching salaries might become vital. Also, part of the "over pay" is for acceptance of a non-guaranteed 2nd year.

In the end, the question becomes, why not?

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2016, 02:20:51 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Because he's a) giving up his right to veto a trade, and b) if he gets traded he can now bring back more salary in return. Considering that a main reason to sign him is to trade him mid-year, and that many of the players we'd target make a lot of money, paying him more now is useful.

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2016, 03:21:13 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Because he's a) giving up his right to veto a trade, and b) if he gets traded he can now bring back more salary in return. Considering that a main reason to sign him is to trade him mid-year, and that many of the players we'd target make a lot of money, paying him more now is useful.
Id also imagine c) becuase year 2 is a team option. was a factor as well.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2016, 03:26:19 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

That is included with answer a.  Because the second year is not guaranteed (which is different than a team option) he can't veto a trade.  If it were a team option, he could still veto.

« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2016, 09:39:02 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Signed for 2/$16M, 2nd yr team option. Don't know why they exceeded QO.

Hard to figure what's happening. Appears they have excess PGs with Jackson signing. Trade or D League?   

« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2016, 09:46:56 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Signed for 2/$16M, 2nd yr team option. Don't know why they exceeded QO.

Hard to figure what's happening. Appears they have excess PGs with Jackson signing. Trade or D League?

I explained this three posts earlier.  But to repeat:

« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2016, 09:47:28 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

That is included with answer a.  Because the second year is not guaranteed (which is different than a team option) he can't veto a trade.  If it were a team option, he could still veto.

But it is a team option. Regardless I don't see the difference. Doesn't the team have the option to not guarantee the second year? Didn't he lose his veto powers once we renounced him?

« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2016, 10:06:57 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

But it is a team option. Regardless I don't see the difference. Doesn't the team have the option to not guarantee the second year? Didn't he lose his veto powers once we renounced him?

1) It's not a team option.  Some in the media are lazy with the difference between non-guaranteed years and team options, but they are very different in how the CBA treats them.  This is a non-guaranteed second-year.  I don't know when it guarantees.

2) He was never renounced.  I don't know where you picked that up.  Sullinger was, Zeller was not.

3) Even if he were renounced, since he didn't sign with any teams in the meantime, his Bird rights wouldn't reset.

4) Players who have Bird rights can veto any trade if they sign a 1-year deal.  Player option and team options do not count as years on a contract.  That's why this deal was sign as a two-year deal, the second year not guaranteed.  Now, it could mean that the second-year guarantees June 30th, the same time a team option gets decided.  Or it could be later in the free agency period, or even after the season starts.  Obviously the later the guarantee date, the better for the team.  Also, the later the guarantee, the more Zeller would get paid this season in a negotiation, since it would hurt him next free agency period to be waiting.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 11:48:12 PM by saltlover »