Author Topic: Will the Celtics rescind Zeller's qualifying offer?  (Read 4944 times)

Re: Will the Celtics rescind Zeller's qualifying offer?
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2016, 07:33:54 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
No team even wants him

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2016, 07:49:52 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Through Saturday, outstanding qualifying offers can be rescinded unilaterally by the team. After, Saturday, however, they can only be rescinded if both parties agree.

Zeller's qualifying offer is a shade under $3.7 million.  However, he will continue to take up $6.5 million of cap space, as that is his cap hold based on his Bird rights.  Accordingly, even if the Celtics have no intention of signing Zeller to anything but his QO, he will take up more cap space until he does so, or until he signs elsewhere.  Meanwhile, once Saturday passes, they will be unable to simply clear his cap space by waiving their hands and renouncing him -- his $6.5 million hold is there until an agreement of some sort is reached.

On the other hand, maybe the team simply doesn't have any other way to spend the money that they find suitable.  In this case, waiting Zeller out might make sense.

What do you think? Will Zeller still be a restricted free agent come Sunday, will he be unrestricted, or will his situation have otherwise resolved.  I think he won't be one myself, either having had his QO rescinded or by signing some sort of new contract.  In other words, expect some news soon!

When is the deadline for suitors to give offer sheet? Surely after that happens his cap hit is his actual salary for 2016-17 (not his hold..)
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2016, 08:06:13 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Through Saturday, outstanding qualifying offers can be rescinded unilaterally by the team. After, Saturday, however, they can only be rescinded if both parties agree.

Zeller's qualifying offer is a shade under $3.7 million.  However, he will continue to take up $6.5 million of cap space, as that is his cap hold based on his Bird rights.  Accordingly, even if the Celtics have no intention of signing Zeller to anything but his QO, he will take up more cap space until he does so, or until he signs elsewhere.  Meanwhile, once Saturday passes, they will be unable to simply clear his cap space by waiving their hands and renouncing him -- his $6.5 million hold is there until an agreement of some sort is reached.

On the other hand, maybe the team simply doesn't have any other way to spend the money that they find suitable.  In this case, waiting Zeller out might make sense.

What do you think? Will Zeller still be a restricted free agent come Sunday, will he be unrestricted, or will his situation have otherwise resolved.  I think he won't be one myself, either having had his QO rescinded or by signing some sort of new contract.  In other words, expect some news soon!

When is the deadline for suitors to give offer sheet? Surely after that happens his cap hit is his actual salary for 2016-17 (not his hold..)

He can receive an offer sheet at any time.  His cap hold would stay as it is for up to 3 more days while the Celtics decided what to do.  During that time, his suitor would have a cap hold equal to the offer sheet.  If the Celtics match, his cap hold would equal his offer sheet, since that would be his new contract (and likewise for his new team if the Celtics don't).

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2016, 11:18:31 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Zeller isn't worth a $6.5M cap hit. A 7 footer with limited ability. Can't play defense.
If Danny keeps him, it will be a bad sign--in more ways than one.

The biggest thing Zeller has going for him is his Indiana ties, including Stevens.

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2016, 11:42:13 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Overall that 2012 draft is looking bad. Royce white, marshall kendall,  sullinger, zeller, terrence jones

Still cant believe Draymond Green slipped to the 2nd round

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2016, 12:07:41 PM »

Offline straightouttabahstun

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
  • That's turrible
Overall that 2012 draft is looking bad. Royce white, marshall kendall,  sullinger, zeller, terrence jones

Still cant believe Draymond Green slipped to the 2nd round

Other than a few picks like Anthony Davis, Lillard, Beal, etc, that second round had waaaayy better than the first round lol

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2016, 12:09:04 PM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
We already have Horford, KO and Amir as bigs... any other big we add to the roster must be a strong rebounder... unfortunately Zeller is not. Might be stupid, but I would even rather signing Javale McGee than Zeller... based on needs.

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2016, 12:11:28 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
No I don't think they will.

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2016, 04:58:49 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
At this rate I think it may be in the team's interest to offer him a deal similar to what they gave Amir Johnson and Jonas Jerebko last year.  1+1 team option.

Means he makes more than his qualifying offer, while the team has the ability to use his contract as convenient salary filler in a potential trade.  If he takes his qualifying offer, he will effectively have a no trade clause, if I'm not mistaken.

If they were going to do this, I think it would have been done by now.   Ainge is gambling that no one will sign him and try to get him for the QO.   So far the offers ain't pouring in, another illustration, how we value guys here more than the rest of the league.

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2016, 06:47:51 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
At this rate I think it may be in the team's interest to offer him a deal similar to what they gave Amir Johnson and Jonas Jerebko last year.  1+1 team option.

Means he makes more than his qualifying offer, while the team has the ability to use his contract as convenient salary filler in a potential trade.  If he takes his qualifying offer, he will effectively have a no trade clause, if I'm not mistaken.

If they were going to do this, I think it would have been done by now.   Ainge is gambling that no one will sign him and try to get him for the QO.   So far the offers ain't pouring in, another illustration, how we value guys here more than the rest of the league.
Not sure too many people here have been overvaluing Tyler Zeller.  If anything concensus has been leaning toward him having minimal value -- back-up/3rd string.  Backup centers are making pretty good $$ these days.

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2016, 06:53:57 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
No need to. Keeping Zeller at the QO for 1 season would be a fantastic stop-gap for us.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2016, 06:55:42 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
No team even wants him

That about sums it up. If we signed him we would be the only team interested. I just shows how much the C's need a true center. It's looking like other than Brown, all out draft choices we're drafted to stash away.

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2016, 08:23:43 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Zeller on the QO is fine with me. There are a number of other centers who I think would be better fits with our current group, but he has two years of experience here under Stevens and we know that he won't be a problem and will do what is asked of him.

What I didn't want was him on a multi-year contract of any kind and that doesn't look like it will be an issue.

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2016, 08:38:38 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Hopefully it's rescinded.  We don't need to be on the books for 6 million for this stiff to ride the pine. 

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2016, 08:45:25 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
It would be nice to get Zeller for the QO, or even better for a Jerebko deal ($5m/1yr+TO). He isn't great but he's above replacement level and he knows the system.