Author Topic: What's Your biggest Draft miss 2016  (Read 3941 times)

What's Your biggest Draft miss 2016
« on: July 21, 2016, 07:28:09 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I'm going Outside the box. I'm going to say I wanted Isaiah Thomas insurance if he wants 150 million when his contact is up.

He will want at LEAST 120 million guaranteed.
 I would have taken Kay Felder over Demetrius Jackson. I think he will be a much better pro than Jackson. Maybe DJ has the Defensive advantage, but every other category I'll give to Felder.

Re: What's Your biggest Draft miss 2016
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 07:37:14 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 07:39:41 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I guess I would have liked to take a chance on Skal since he was so highly rated a year ago. Davis at 31 seemed like a no-brainier, too, given the value, but we unfortunately had too many picks and had to stash / trade some away. It's kind-of annoying in this age of rookie contracts being so valuable that we weren't able to make an impact move with the non-#3 picks.

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 07:41:06 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Chinanu Onuaku

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 07:43:46 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
The trade of the 31st and 35th picks. That's the first truly bad trade Danny's made in a long time. I get we didn't have the roster space for those guys but if the best you can do is a 1-14 protected pick by the aging Clippers that has a fair chance of turning into 2 2nd round picks in 2020 and 2021 - picks that will be almost certainly worse than 31 and 35 - that's not a good deal IMO.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 07:48:46 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Smart is our IT insurance. He has the perfect opportunity in the next two years to be the guy that we choose moving forward at the PG spot. Ideally, we will give Marcus the bigger money in 2018, and we'll give IT a sizable raise with him agreeing to become the sixth man for us again.

I'm going to say that not trading up for Chriss will be our biggest miss, who I think will end up being a very, very good player in this league.

I could also see Luwawu being a big miss for us, too.

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 07:50:01 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Lab for me thought he would go top 10 and he went 28. 11/5 on 57% summer league.

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 08:03:10 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
The trade of the 31st and 35th picks. That's the first truly bad trade Danny's made in a long time. I get we didn't have the roster space for those guys but if the best you can do is a 1-14 protected pick by the aging Clippers that has a fair chance of turning into 2 2nd round picks in 2020 and 2021 - picks that will be almost certainly worse than 31 and 35 - that's not a good deal IMO.

You think the Clippers are gonna miss the playoffs in 2018, 2019, and 2020?  That's gonna be a pick in the late teens or early 20s, which is a great return for two second rounders
I'm bitter.

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 08:10:45 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

You think the Clippers are gonna miss the playoffs in 2018, 2019, and 2020?  That's gonna be a pick in the late teens or early 20s, which is a great return for two second rounders

I get what he is saying. It's not like it was a horrible trade and if you make the trade this year (like 31 and 35 for 23, or something), then it pays immediate dividends. Having to wait at least three years for a sort-of blah pick with the chance of it becoming even worse 2nd rounders than you already have is less than exciting.

I will say that it is better to have a future first to use as trade bait, but better to use it sooner rather than later on the off-chance that the Clips strip down their roster and start over in a couple of years.

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2016, 08:58:23 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I really like Luwawu. I wish we took Zizic at #16 and Luwawu at #23.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2016, 09:07:20 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Brice Johnson could have helped here late in the 1st

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2016, 09:09:19 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
I really wanted Luwawu and Korkmaz. Kinda bummed we didn't use our foreign Draft n Stash on them instead of Yabu. 
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2016, 09:32:51 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Lab for me thought he would go top 10 and he went 28. 11/5 on 57% summer league.

Based on what we saw in the summer league, I was dead wrong on him, lol, and was actually very impressed with his skills on the block.  He arguably showed more in Vegas than he did during an entire year at Kentucky, lol ;D. Ugh. We'll see what happens down the road, but yeah, he looks real good as of right now, imo.

I'm going Outside the box. I'm going to say I wanted Isaiah Thomas insurance if he wants 150 million when his contact is up.

He will want at LEAST 120 million guaranteed.
 I would have taken Kay Felder over Demetrius Jackson. I think he will be a much better pro than Jackson. Maybe DJ has the Defensive advantage, but every other category I'll give to Felder.

Yeah, Felder looked great.  It's not his talent or anything like that with which I have a problem, it's just that he'll most likely be a huge weakness on defense, like IT, unfortunately.  Hopefully Jackson does much better in training camp, provided that he's even still here, that is :-\.

Smart is our IT insurance. He has the perfect opportunity in the next two years to be the guy that we choose moving forward at the PG spot. Ideally, we will give Marcus the bigger money in 2018, and we'll give IT a sizable raise with him agreeing to become the sixth man for us again.

I'm going to say that not trading up for Chriss will be our biggest miss, who I think will end up being a very, very good player in this league.

I could also see Luwawu being a big miss for us, too.

Obviously, we disagree on Smart being 'our IT insurance', but to the highlighted part, Smart would have to average over 20 a game before we should even entertain the idea of giving him more money than Thomas.  I'm not in favor of rolling with a guy of his size moving forward because they typically don't do well after 30, but didn't you see his comments during the summer league?  He wants us to back dat Brinks truck up, lol ;D. No way is he going to take less money than Smart gets, even if it is a 'sizable raise'.  Not after he's made the all star team, already, imo.

In regards to the subject of the thread, I thought that we missed out on a lot of guys, but I'm not going to bore everyone by reciting that list, lol ;D. Still, I'd say that Dunn, as of right now, was our biggest miss, overall, imo, but perhaps we should break it down by pick, instead?

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2016, 09:43:31 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Chinanu Onuaku

looks like a Amir Johnson part 2.  He was solid in the SL. can't shoot but does alot of the dirty work down low

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2016, 09:46:50 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Danny and CBS look like will never draft players that think they are bigger than the NBA

The only thing Lab did was hold an open gym workout . That is not what most teams want to see

Dejounte Murray is another guy that took bad advice and paid for it. But Spurs look like they got a steal. Kid has Livingstone written all over him

Imo not too sure about yabu still but is betting good things will come out from drafting Brown and Zizic.  Zizic is a beast down low.  Like a Verajao