Author Topic: Ivica Zubac: huge miss by the Celtics  (Read 29121 times)

Re: Ivaca Zubac: huge miss by the Celtics
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2016, 07:14:00 PM »

Offline Dennis_D

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
By exactly the same token, Zizic could play in the NBA today if they wanted him to. He played in the same league that Zubac did and his performance was vastly superior.
From what I have read, Zubac was rated slightly higher than Zizic in the mock drafts. See here for example. Zizic was projected a better fit for the Celtics because Zubac was considered a more of a "traditional" big in that he lacks athleticism whereas Zizic runs the court much better. Both were considered projects. However, Zubac played in the summer league much, much better than he was projected to. He put up much better numbers that Yabusele did. There's no way of knowing if Zizic would also play that much better than projected.

« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2016, 07:21:48 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
By exactly the same token, Zizic could play in the NBA today if they wanted him to. He played in the same league that Zubac did and his performance was vastly superior.
From what I have read, Zubac was rated slightly higher than Zizic in the mock drafts. See here for example. Zizic was projected a better fit for the Celtics because Zubac was considered a more of a "traditional" big in that he lacks athleticism whereas Zizic runs the court much better. Both were considered projects. However, Zubac played in the summer league much, much better than he was projected to. He put up much better numbers that Yabusele did. There's no way of knowing if Zizic would also play that much better than projected.
Zubac posted 10 and 7 with 2.5 blocks in SL, Yabusele had 8 and 6 with a steal and a block. I don't see these as materially different.

Zizic projections were all over the place prior to the draft -- some of the last mocks had him in the lottery.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2016, 08:27:38 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Zubac posted 10 and 7 with 2.5 blocks in SL, Yabusele had 8 and 6 with a steal and a block. I don't see these as materially different.

Perhaps that's because you're trying not to.  Yabusele shot 48% from the field and 58% from the free throw line.

Zubac shot 61.7% on Field goals and 82% from the line.  Also Zubac is 7'2 while Yabs is 6'7.

« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2016, 08:29:07 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
We can all agree Yab was an absolute dumb move that made no sense. Also giving up the 31 and 35 was stupid and those 3 picks are basically in the dumpster......you don't rebuild a team by throwing away picks and missing value.

We may not all agree, but I agree. The exception being we really don't know the outcome of the 31 and 35 pick yet.

Yab makes no sense in that we needed a rim protector and a rebounder. Almost everyone on the board is comparing him to Glenn Davis or Sully. Haven't we had enough of this type of player. From the scouting reports he is neither a rebounder nor a rim protector. He is an undersized 4 who will likely be asked to play both the 4 and 5 positions. We don't need that aggravation. Why not get someone who is a true 5 or who has the height of a 4. Also, video clips and SL show he's a pathetic defender.
Many are enamored with the idea of stashing a player overseas for a year because there wasn't enough roster space. So, the answer is draft and stash? Sure, there was/is plenty of roster space. Just cut players who don't contribute. Let everyone compete for a job. Danny did it last year without any problem. The C's are not the D-League proving grounds. 

There was too much talent on the board to waste these picks. The Spurs Championships came about partly because of smart late round picks, e.g., Tony Parker, Ginobelli and later signing players who were late round picks for other teams like Patty Mills and Matt Bonner.

Taking a chance on someone like Zubac would have been better than waiting. What are we waiting for?
i believe the general opinion is that you draft for talent, trade for need. ainge took the player he thought was bpa at that time.

and please keep in mind that zubac was not picked by every single GM in the league during the first round. obviously, many basketball professionals throughout the league did not hold zubac in the same light as some posters here.

After reading a lot of post on CB I got the impression that Yabu was selected more for his draft and stash status than being the BPA. And, judging from the pre-NBA-draft boards...Yabu should have been a second round selection.

You mean the boards that were completely wrong about every single pick after the top 9?  For some reason I don't trust them as much as the actual NBA GMs
I'm bitter.

« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2016, 02:11:11 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Let's not put him in Springfield quite yet...

I respectfully disagree. This kid is borderline Hall of famer right now.

« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2016, 04:12:29 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Let's not put him in Springfield quite yet...

I respectfully disagree. This kid is borderline Hall of famer right now.
Yep. Maybe Mickey can give him tips for his HOF speech.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2016, 06:18:40 AM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
I think zubac was the bigger project as zizic still had a floor as a role player because of his high motor and good rebounding ability

The biggest knock on zubac was FT shooting, defense and defense rebounding
He was seen as having a higher potential because of his better physical tools (size and wingspan), slightly younger age and was seen as a late bloomer

« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2016, 06:54:50 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
when you open your computer and see that a thread about a Croatian drafted at #32 has reached 80+ replies

out of curiosity, had anyone expressed interest in zubac before the draft or is this more about the pick swap with the Clips and LAL potentially getting a good prospect?

« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2016, 07:21:48 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
So passing on NBA players in this draft because we "didn't have the roster space" is not really currently a valid argument in my mind because we have 4 roster spots that are CLEARLY UP FOR GRABS.
Right, except you'll still have to cut or renounce someone, because we currently hold the rights to 16 players and only have 15 spots.

I don't see what's so hard to grasp about the fact that in these circumstances it's better to give up two lesser players now for one better player in the future. It's not rocket science.

That's fair.  I didn't realize the concept of renouncing some of the cheapest contracts on the roster (of guys who can't play at this level) would be so baffling to some people.

Also, I don't see trading 2 second round picks for a lottery protected first that could become a second round pick under certain conditions to be the slam dunk you do.

I'd rather just draft the 19 year old 7'2 center who's going to play in the NBA this year.

Even if we waive players they will still count towards our cap. Its not as simple as you think. Zizic and Yab were taken because they can be first round stash. We do not need more guaranteed contracts.

The trade for the future pick is excellent. Why? Because you have traded assets you do not need now for something you can use in the future. GMs cannot live only for today, they have to plan for the future as well. You do not want to be another Brooklyn Nets.

Perhaps that's because you're trying not to.  Yabusele shot 48% from the field and 58% from the free throw line.

Zubac shot 61.7% on Field goals and 82% from the line.  Also Zubac is 7'2 while Yabs is 6'7.

I dont get why the height difference is important here.

Jordan Mickey averaged 13.8ppg 9.6rpg and 2.6 blocks per game while shooting .529 from the field on a much larger sample size at last year's summer league.  He saw little floor time last year. I dont see why you think Zubac will "see time this year" based on effin Summer League.

« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2016, 08:26:45 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Eric Montrose lives.   I hate summer league basketball.  While it is better to do good than bad there.   It is a poor basketball.  Zubac is big, but he did show much NBA athleticism in these clips.  It is one thing to try to block Jack Cooley and another thing in trying to block LeBron.

« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2016, 06:39:57 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
I think it's clear that Danny and Brad believe that the big shot blocking center who can't shoot threes is a relic of the past.

Golden State might have thought that too before Bogut went down in the finals.  Of course, they lost three games in a row without him for the first 3-1 collapse in finals history.

In just 12 minutes a night he averaged 2 blocks per game in that series and forced Cleveland to change their offensive approach while he was in.

Bogut was drafted #1 in a draft with Chris Paul and Deron Williams.   I just don't see the comparison at all.   You are comparing an elite talent to rotation guys off the bench.

Whoa whoa whoa, Marvin Williams was taken second overall in that draft.  Let's not pretend where you were drafted matters once you're in the NBA (especially when said draft was 11 years ago).  The NBA is simply about who can play.   

« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2017, 04:45:54 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
Looks like our assessment was right on the money with this kid. 

Profile:  19 year old 7'2 240 lbs. center. 

Worth Noting: He's posted 3 double-doubles in the Laker's last five games playing minutes in the mid-twenties.

Luke Walton Quote: "We don’t call any plays for Zu and he ends up with 15 shot attempts because he sets hard screens or rolls hard to the basket with his hands ready."

History:  Celtics had the 31st pick but took Deyonta Davis and traded him to Memphis, the Lakers took Zubac 32nd. 

« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2017, 04:50:54 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Looks like our assessment was right on the money with this kid. 

Profile:  19 year old 7'2 240 lbs. center. 

Worth Noting: He's posted 3 double-doubles in the Laker's last five games playing minutes in the mid-twenties.

Luke Walton Quote: "We don’t call any plays for Zu and he ends up with 15 shot attempts because he sets hard screens or rolls hard to the basket with his hands ready."

History:  Celtics had the 31st pick but took Deyonta Davis and traded him to Memphis, the Lakers took Zubac 32nd.

This is incorrect.  They traded the pick to Memphis.  Memphis took Davis.  Please learn how draft trades work.  It's a broken record around here...

« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2017, 04:51:53 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Yeah, in a game where he made 5 shots and scored 12 points. Sorry, but that's not exactly impressive.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2017, 04:56:23 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
was he willing to be stashed in Europe?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.