Author Topic: Ivica Zubac: huge miss by the Celtics  (Read 29254 times)

Re: Ivaca Zubac: huge miss by the Celtics
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2016, 06:21:31 PM »

Offline CelticsJG

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
Ante going to be better

« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2016, 06:29:47 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Are we really calling draft misses based on summer league?  Not to mention that Zizic didn't play, and could very well have done better than Zubac if he had.  It's one thing to say that you really like Zubac and think he'll be a good player, or that you wished we had taken him, but saying that we screwed up by taking Zizic over him makes no sense
I'm not sure why the thread continued after this post.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2016, 06:39:39 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Let's wait until these guys play a single NBA game before reaching big conclusions.

Also, as BitterJim suggests, commenters often forget that a team's roster only has 15 spots...

« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2016, 07:32:07 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
We can all agree Yab was an absolute dumb move that made no sense. Also giving up the 31 and 35 was stupid and those 3 picks are basically in the dumpster......you don't rebuild a team by throwing away picks and missing value.

« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2016, 07:33:57 PM »

Offline elcotte

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 52
We can all agree Yab was an absolute dumb move that made no sense. Also giving up the 31 and 35 was stupid and those 3 picks are basically in the dumpster......you don't rebuild a team by throwing away picks and missing value.

no. we don't all agree with it.

« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2016, 07:38:01 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

no. we don't all agree with it.
^
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2016, 11:05:43 PM »

Offline rochrist

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17

No, we pretty much can't all agree.

« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2016, 11:19:38 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

No I don't agree with you at all.  You should think before you post this kind of stuff.

« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2016, 11:20:30 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

nah
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2016, 11:30:31 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

No, we can't agree.  You are free to have your own opinion of course.
Yab and Zizic are both overseas stashes.

So that means:
1. They don't take up roster spots. 
2.  We save money. 
3.  We can develop the young players and prospects we do have with the minutes available.  Example - look at the Kings and the Sixers.  They have logjams at their big positions and now either have to sell low, or watch some of their young, highly drafted prospects suffer in terms of development. 
4.  We are a playoff team right now.  It's better to have youngster develop off the team in foreign leagues than in the NBADL which I feel is lacking in competition.  I mean how many guys have we sent to the NBADL outside of Rozier have actually developed?

« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2016, 12:03:30 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Are we really calling draft misses based on summer league?  Not to mention that Zizic didn't play, and could very well have done better than Zubac if he had.  It's one thing to say that you really like Zubac and think he'll be a good player, or that you wished we had taken him, but saying that we screwed up by taking Zizic over him makes no sense

I feel totally comfortable pointing out that Zubac is a better player than both Jared Sullenger and Tyler Zeller right now based on his summer league performance as well as his professional career in Europe.  He could step in and play 18 minutes a night as a center for the Celtics immediately.  This is not even a "risky prediction" since we're going to see him do exactly that for the Lakers this year - they currently believe in him so much that they have no plan B at center.

I'm not saying we screwed up by taking Zizic - I'm saying we screwed up by NOT taking Zubac.  Try to wrap your head around the idea that we had eight draft picks and had the opportunity to draft multiple impact players THIS YEAR.  Since the Celtics made repeated claims of exhaustively scouting the Euro prospects I find it hard to believe that they whiffed that badly on a guy who was one of four Euro centers available and lasted into the second round.   

If he was some raw prospect who wasn't going to be ready to play a role in the NBA for several years (think Young, Hunter, Mickey, Yabu, Zizic, Bentel, Jackson) I could understand passing on him to avoid having to keep him on the roster, but this a 7'2 260 lbs shot-blocker with a post-game...  He's NBA ready right now and has a skillset that people on this board have been clamoring for for ages. 

There's not really an excuse available that justifies the Celtics trading their two top second round picks away and missing on a player who would A. Make an NBA impact this year, B. Is 19 and has as much potential to improve as any other 19 year old player. C.  Has more trade value today than he did when he was drafted. 

Furthermore, many people on this board are creaming themselves over the possibility of trading first round picks and prospects for Jahil Okafor who had a similar impact in summer league to Zubac last year.

You just lost your credibility.

BTW, a team can only have 15 players on their roster. You and Future Celtics Owner think the celtics have 20+ roster space.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 12:15:08 AM by RockinRyA »

« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2016, 12:37:24 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

So that means:
2.  We save money. 
3.  We can develop the young players and prospects we do have with the minutes available.  Example - look at the Kings and the Sixers.  They have logjams at their big positions and now either have to sell low, or watch some of their young, highly drafted prospects suffer in terms of development. 
4.  We are a playoff team right now.  It's better to have youngster develop off the team in foreign leagues than in the NBADL which I feel is lacking in competition.  I mean how many guys have we sent to the NBADL outside of Rozier have actually developed?

I agree with the gist of this post only have some doubts about /2/

I mean, they still count towards our salary cap if I'm not mistaken.

And yes, sure we do not pay their salaries now, but a/ they are peanuts and b/ some others will have to take their place in the roster - and they will have to get paid ofc

I'm splitting hair here, I know, but as I said I otherwise agree with the comment.

« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2016, 04:26:44 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

So that means:
2.  We save money. 

I agree with the gist of this post only have some doubts about /2/

I mean, they still count towards our salary cap if I'm not mistaken.

And yes, sure we do not pay their salaries now, but a/ they are peanuts and b/ some others will have to take their place in the roster - and they will have to get paid ofc

I'm splitting hair here, I know, but as I said I otherwise agree with the comment.

stash do not count towards our cap.

« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2016, 04:33:30 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Croatian speaker here, to contribute some.
His name is Ivica Zubac, not Ivaca.
It is pronaunced;
EVE-IZZA no pause between the two.
Izza is like a pizza, but without the letter P. Surname is ZOO-BUTTS.
EVE-IZZA ZOO-BUTTS
Sounds funny now that i see it.
Ivica is translates to Johnny.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 05:28:28 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2016, 08:38:49 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Croatian speaker here, to contribute some.
His name is Ivica Zubac, not Ivaca.
It is pronaunced;
EVE-IZZA no pause between the two.
Izza is like a pizza, but without the letter P. Surname is ZOO-BUTTS.
EVE-IZZA ZOO-BUTTS
Sounds funny now that i see it.
Ivica is translates to Johnny.
Zoo-butts is clearly THE best name a basketball player has ever had. The celtics need to trade for him right NOW!

Oh,  and a tp for the language lesson.  :)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva