Author Topic: Kevin Pelton suggesting C's kick tyres on JR Smith  (Read 7692 times)

Re: Kevin Pelton suggesting C's kick tyres on JR Smith
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2016, 10:12:30 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
The title alone of this conversation was offensive. I mean, we spell "tires" with an "i" in this country. U-S-A!!!
this board is not so parochial as to restrict itself to the US. check out the posters here and you will see many are from other places....which is a very good thing.  ;D

I think you missed the humor.

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2016, 10:19:51 AM »

Offline fubar089

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 11
I wouldn't sign him if he played for free.

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2016, 10:45:17 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2016, 12:24:49 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'm not against JR Smith. Sure he has a little Ricky Davis in him but he also has skills and experience. It also takes away a role player from the the most dominant team in the East. He provides shooting as well for those tired of waiting on Hunter and Young. I think it would come down to a few things.
1. Money (must be under 12 million)
2. Years (must be 1+1)
3. Can I move Hunter or Young for a first or high second.

I think if you add him he gives you a stronger offensive small ball line up as well with IT, AB, Smith, Crowder, Hordford. There is also a much better top nine guys (no offense to Brown)

IT, AB, Crowder, Hordford, KO
Rozier, Smart, Smith, AJ

After two years you have IT, AB, AJ* and Smith all off the books to target another big FA. At the same time hopefully Smart is hitting his peak with Rozier and Brown coming into their own as well. It's a decent 2 year plan especially because right now this team isn't setup with a good enough bench for a deep playoff run without adding another vet like Smith.

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2016, 12:34:41 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Why would we want JR Smith?

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2016, 12:39:16 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'm not against JR Smith. Sure he has a little Ricky Davis in him but he also has skills and experience. It also takes away a role player from the the most dominant team in the East. He provides shooting as well for those tired of waiting on Hunter and Young. I think it would come down to a few things.
2. Years (must be 1+1)

I think if you add him he gives you a stronger offensive small ball line up as well with IT, AB, Smith, Crowder, Hordford. There is also a much better top nine guys (no offense to Brown)

Rozier, Smart, Smith, AJ

After two years you have IT, AB, AJ* and Smith all off the books to target another big FA. At the same time hopefully Smart is hitting his peak with Rozier and Brown coming into their own as well. It's a decent 2 year plan especially because right now this team isn't setup with a good enough bench for a deep playoff run without adding another vet like Smith.

Amir's off the books after this year.  Also, I find it extremely unlikely that Danny just lets IT and AB's deals expire without either resigning them or trading them for something.

Smith is meh.  too inconsistent and we're already guard heavy with better defenders.  There's 28 other teams that can take him from Cleveland for us.  if no one else does, says a lot about how little he's valued by the league. 

« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2016, 12:40:55 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Why would we want JR Smith?

Because guys who shoot 40% from 3 on 500 attempts in a season are rare.  Last year it was Curry, Klay, and Smith.

I'm not sure that's enough to overcome the reasons we don't want him, but he is top-notch at what he does.

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2016, 01:04:29 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
2. Years (must be 1+1)

Rozier, Smart, Smith, AJ

Amir's off the books after this year.
  Also, I find it extremely unlikely that Danny just lets IT and AB's deals expire without either resigning them or trading them for something.

Smith is meh.  too inconsistent and we're already guard heavy with better defenders.  There's 28 other teams that can take him from Cleveland for us.  if no one else does, says a lot about how little he's valued by the league.
AJ being up sooner is why I stuck a "*" next to him. JR can play SF not just guard. It's less pressure on Brown having to play big early his first two years.

Do hope no matter what he leaves Cavs.

Sign JR Smith?
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2016, 12:16:47 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
The Celts can sign Smith to a 12 million dollar 1 year deal (after they get rid of Zeller)

Could workout for both parties as Smith can get a nicer bigger deal next season and the Celtics can use a shooter. 

Smith is mainly a SG but also can play some SF.   

Not a big fan of his, but no doubt he can shoot. 

yay or nay?

Re: Sign JR Smith?
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2016, 12:34:47 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
I think we covered that in this thread yesterday.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=86622.30

Re: Sign JR Smith?
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2016, 12:55:44 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
nayyyyy

« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2016, 09:40:59 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
JR Smith is, at this point, probably a net negative to have on the court.

Every ounce of offense he provides is cancelled out by absolutely pathetic defense.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2016, 09:43:19 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
The signing of Green makes this thread a moot point IMO
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2016, 10:39:37 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
I don't like his attitude. Fortunately we signed Green instead ::)
Jack of all trades, master of none.