Author Topic: jahlil-okafor-trade-rumors  (Read 10771 times)

Re: jahlil-okafor-trade-rumors
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2016, 02:49:00 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Get it done.

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2016, 02:52:13 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Still getting a kick out of people who have written off a 20 year old who had per-36 numbers of 21 points, 8.4 rebounds, 1.4 blocks and 51% shooting in his first season.

He's finished!  He might as well retire!  lol

Anyways... hopefully James Young can show enough improvement in year 3 to get some bench minutes.  Kid still might have potential.  A lot of us are crossing our fingers that 25 year old Kelly Olynyk will make a leap this season.

Glad I could return the favour and make you chuckle, considering the countless laughs I got out of your braindead drivel over the years.

But yeah, hyperbole and stats out of context, as usual.

What exactly is hyperbolic about what he said?  Kid is more than capable of scoring and he's only 20!  He fufills two things we desperately need, a center who can score.  We don't want Okafor today, we want him yesterday!

Wow, some people on this board...smh...

Amen

18 brooklyn pick and a few guards not named Bradley or smart

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2016, 02:59:52 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Still getting a kick out of people who have written off a 20 year old who had per-36 numbers of 21 points, 8.4 rebounds, 1.4 blocks and 51% shooting in his first season.

Anyways... hopefully James Young can show enough improvement in year 3 to get some bench minutes.  Kid still might have potential.  A lot of us are crossing our fingers that 25 year old Kelly Olynyk will make a leap this season.

Hopefully on someone else's bench, lol ;D.
TP to both.
But remember it is a very good thing that people are down on Okafor and belive that he is incapable of improving. That is how and why we will end up getting him. I bled for Myles Turner and tried to explain that he was undervalued, but people were too focused on how the 18year old ran lol, now he has exploded and the same people that said he ran funny now say he is an unbelievable athlete.

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2016, 03:10:35 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Glad I could return the favour and make you chuckle, considering the countless laughs I got out of your braindead drivel over the years.

What exactly is hyperbolic about what he said?  Kid is more than capable of scoring and he's only 20!  He fufills two things we desperately need, a center who can score.  We don't want Okafor today, we want him yesterday!

Amen

18 brooklyn pick and a few guards not named Bradley or smart
Philly stats are borderline meaningless. They were trash and trash teams need someone to score, but then thats countered with they were trash and the lack of spacing etc makes it hard for a post guy to score. He was efficient, then that gets countered, with he was the only offensively talented guy on the roster so they built the offense around him. His awful awful advanced stats can be once again countered with how trash that team was. Stats are meaningless. I dont care that he put up 21 and 8 per 36.

With Jahlil, I think you have to look at this skills and talent and then try to almost evaluate him as a draft pick. What is his talent? How will these skills translate to the non-Philly NBA? How much can he develop? Does he have the right mental makeup to improve?

The hyperbole is that people are saying "He's finished!  He might as well retire!" very few are saying this.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2016, 03:23:41 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

There are a lot of people on this board who will have egg on their face when Okafor blossoms. Hopefully Ainge is smart enough that he blossoms in green - but I wonder.

I'm hopeful that DA can get the right package together to pull it off and then bring McHale in as a big man coach. DA did offer him a job, and McHale said he wouldn't mind being back in Boston.

The hyperbole thing is, well, BS. Yeah he played on a bad team that could inflate numbers, but he also played on a bad team that wasn't trying to win. So who knows how much he was being held back in either playing time, or coaching. I think he's a better passer than some give credit for. Hard to get assists when you don't have anyone that can shoot on your team. I think Stevens can make a legit player out of this kid and Horford would be a great mentor for him.
I think all of us Celt fans are hopeful DA can pull it off, but I'm not counting on it.  If I'm Philly, I look for more than a draft pick or a questionable prospect like Marcus Smart.  Minimally, they need established borderline star talent if they move a prospect like Okafor. 

But I do commend the work done to deteriorate Okafor's perceived value.  It seems to have worked on this fan base.  Unfortunately, I'm not certain the Colangelos are that stupid.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 03:29:00 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2016, 03:35:04 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Nice one, Caspiar. 

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2016, 04:02:49 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

There are a lot of people on this board who will have egg on their face when Okafor blossoms. Hopefully Ainge is smart enough that he blossoms in green - but I wonder.

I'm hopeful that DA can get the right package together to pull it off and then bring McHale in as a big man coach. DA did offer him a job, and McHale said he wouldn't mind being back in Boston.

The hyperbole thing is, well, BS. Yeah he played on a bad team that could inflate numbers, but he also played on a bad team that wasn't trying to win. So who knows how much he was being held back in either playing time, or coaching. I think he's a better passer than some give credit for. Hard to get assists when you don't have anyone that can shoot on your team. I think Stevens can make a legit player out of this kid and Horford would be a great mentor for him.
I think all of us Celt fans are hopeful DA can pull it off, but I'm not counting on it.  If I'm Philly, I look for more than a draft pick or a questionable prospect like Marcus Smart.  Minimally, they need established borderline star talent if they move a prospect like Okafor. 

But I do commend the work done to deteriorate Okafor's perceived value.  It seems to have worked on this fan base.  Unfortunately, I'm not certain the Colangelos are that stupid.
Starting line-up 3pm per game:

IT=  2
AB=1.9
Crowder=1.7
Hortford=1
Okafor

IMO adding Okafor would open the floor up even more and take pressure off our players playing on the perimeter. We do not need to run an offense through Okafor but having a legit big man that can not only dribble and pass out of the post to hit a perimeter shooter but also has the ability to score quickly; should help our offense and give our shooters much better looks from 3.Basically our 3 pointers should increase in efficiency and made field goals.

Also IMO Okafor will have a much improved shot, left hand, and overall defensive ability because of his year of experience. While physically maturing and getting not only stronger but more conditioned, Okafor would be a giant for us and just as dominant as any player we posses. The signs are there....again this is IMO, but I didn't do too bad with Myles Turner or Brandon Ingram.

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2016, 04:10:16 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Another season of hoping I fall asleep and the trade deadline magically passes by while I sleep. It can't come fast enough. I feel that way whether we trade or not, I just wanna know that who I'm cheering for will be there until the next deadline.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2016, 04:17:17 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Another season of hoping I fall asleep and the trade deadline magically passes by while I sleep. It can't come fast enough. I feel that way whether we trade or not, I just wanna know that who I'm cheering for will be there until the next deadline.
I think most likely the roster you see now is the roster you'll be rooting for after the trade deadline.  Saving the picks and hoping for the best might be the best play here.  But I wouldn't rule out seeing us somehow grab a Philly big before the season starts... and I wouldn't rule out making a big trade at the deadline for a guy heading into free agency.  Anything could happen.

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2016, 05:57:59 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I think most likely the roster you see now is the roster you'll be rooting for after the trade deadline.  Saving the picks and hoping for the best might be the best play here.  But I wouldn't rule out seeing us somehow grab a Philly big before the season starts... and I wouldn't rule out making a big trade at the deadline for a guy heading into free agency.  Anything could happen.

Yep. The "anything can happen" is the problem. When the deadline passes a trade can't happen. Come on down deadline!! I definitely worry more about this because of this site and others. I still enjoy it somewhat otherwise I would just stop reading some of this stuff!  ;D
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2016, 07:29:51 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
It was only about 18 months ago that Okafor and Towns were battling for possible #1 pick.  We now know that the right guy went #1, but that doesn't mean Okafor hasn't shown some good skills that translate to the NBA game.  Clearly he has some issues, but at the right price I would go get him.  He would "make the Celtics better", a phrase that DA has used on many occasions.

We don't know that.   We're one year into two careers.  Let's give them time.  That said, I would have taken Towns for sure at #1!
Yes we do.  Let's agree to disagree.

yeah, we don't.  porzingas could be better than both!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2016, 01:08:13 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
It was only about 18 months ago that Okafor and Towns were battling for possible #1 pick.  We now know that the right guy went #1, but that doesn't mean Okafor hasn't shown some good skills that translate to the NBA game.  Clearly he has some issues, but at the right price I would go get him.  He would "make the Celtics better", a phrase that DA has used on many occasions.

We don't know that.   We're one year into two careers.  Let's give them time.  That said, I would have taken Towns for sure at #1!

so porzingas has potential but okafor doesn't ?

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2016, 01:13:00 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja

not quite the zero sum you posit here, perhaps. i think the real point is the porzingas projects, right now, to be better than oakfur. both can develop, but porzingas is, and probably will be, the better player.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2016, 01:39:40 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

I think it's fair to say porzingas has stronger potential to be a dynamic player. i seriously doubt there's a single NBA GM who would take Okafor if given the option of either....
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2016, 02:11:35 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I think it's fair to say porzingas has stronger potential to be a dynamic player. i seriously doubt there's a single NBA GM who would take Okafor if given the option of either....
The actual comparison here was Okafor to Towns, but if you want to compare Porzingas to Towns, I take Towns right now.  However, it would not surprise me if GM's are much more split on that choice than Okafor/Towns.