Author Topic: jahlil-okafor-trade-rumors  (Read 10763 times)

Re: jahlil-okafor-trade-rumors
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2016, 08:49:03 AM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Why are people taking Blakely's report seriously lol?

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2016, 08:50:24 AM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Not to keep the Rumor Mill buzzing: 

"Keith Pompey of Philly.com reported that a trade for Okafor is still the move "most likely to happen" for the Boston Celtics after a deal didn't wind up happening during the NBA draft."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2642770-jahlil-okafor-trade-rumors-latest-news-speculation-surrounding-76ers-star
That's Bleacher Report quoting a Philly writer from the Inquirer who in turn is quoting CSNNE.com (so effectively A.Sherrod).

Please, folks. Get a grip.

Oh A Sherod, what's it like being a clown? Wish he would do an AMA on reddit, so we could roast him
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2016, 08:55:04 AM »

Online mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
Still getting a kick out of people who have written off a 20 year old who had per-36 numbers of 21 points, 8.4 rebounds, 1.4 blocks and 51% shooting in his first season.

He's finished!  He might as well retire!  lol

Anyways... hopefully James Young can show enough improvement in year 3 to get some bench minutes.  Kid still might have potential.  A lot of us are crossing our fingers that 25 year old Kelly Olynyk will make a leap this season.

Glad I could return the favour and make you chuckle, considering the countless laughs I got out of your braindead drivel over the years.

But yeah, hyperbole and stats out of context, as usual.

What exactly is hyperbolic about what he said?  Kid is more than capable of scoring and he's only 20!  He fufills two things we desperately need, a center who can score.  We don't want Okafor today, we want him yesterday!

Wow, some people on this board...smh...

There are a lot of people on this board who will have egg on their face when Okafor blossoms. Hopefully Ainge is smart enough that he blossoms in green - but I wonder.
It's not that this kid doesn't have potential, clearly he does.  the questions are:
- will he be motivated to actually play defense?  Someone else on another thread who watched him at Duke and some of his Philly games noted that on offense, he was moving quickly with purpose and solid footwork but on D it was like he was moving in mud.  It suggests that he can't be bothered to make the effort on D and that's a real concern.
- his offensive skills may not mesh with the system Brad runs.  While he does offer good post scoring skills, how does that impact the ability of the rest of the team to drive to the basket?  IT, Smart, Rozier, Brown are drivers.  AB cuts to the hoop quite a bit.  Does Okafor being in the lane clog it for them and/or allow the center on the other team a better opportunity to block or alter their shots?  This is something to consider.
- his attitude may be an issue.  His lack of effort on D, his displayed irritation with being selected by Philly, his offcourt antics -- is this an issue of immaturity that can be addressed or is this kid going to be a prolonged headache for whatever team he plays for?

I'm not against adding him for a reasonable cost but I wouldn't give one of our top assets for him since he doesn't move the needle for this team in terms of pushing us to contention for the title.  He'd really just be another asset with which to land an all-star player in a deal.  I'd prefer to keep the top assets we have to land a bigger fish -- one that's more established as an all-star, preferably without mental/emotional baggage.

20 years old. There's time for the kids to change. I'm not going to say I have any idea of what his upsid is; I don't. I've gotta think, though, that he's better off in the Celtics locker room than he is with the 76ers. I'm not going to give up a Nets pick for him, but there is a fair trade to be made.

Mike

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2016, 09:28:26 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Still getting a kick out of people who have written off a 20 year old who had per-36 numbers of 21 points, 8.4 rebounds, 1.4 blocks and 51% shooting in his first season.

Anyways... hopefully James Young can show enough improvement in year 3 to get some bench minutes.  Kid still might have potential.  A lot of us are crossing our fingers that 25 year old Kelly Olynyk will make a leap this season.

Glad I could return the favour and make you chuckle, considering the countless laughs I got out of your braindead drivel over the years.

What exactly is hyperbolic about what he said?  Kid is more than capable of scoring and he's only 20!  He fufills two things we desperately need, a center who can score.  We don't want Okafor today, we want him yesterday!

There are a lot of people on this board who will have egg on their face when Okafor blossoms. Hopefully Ainge is smart enough that he blossoms in green - but I wonder.

I'm hopeful that DA can get the right package together to pull it off and then bring McHale in as a big man coach. DA did offer him a job, and McHale said he wouldn't mind being back in Boston.

The hyperbole thing is, well, BS. Yeah he played on a bad team that could inflate numbers, but he also played on a bad team that wasn't trying to win. So who knows how much he was being held back in either playing time, or coaching. I think he's a better passer than some give credit for. Hard to get assists when you don't have anyone that can shoot on your team. I think Stevens can make a legit player out of this kid and Horford would be a great mentor for him.

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2016, 09:35:22 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

It's not that this kid doesn't have potential, clearly he does.  the questions are:
- will he be motivated to actually play defense?  Someone else on another thread who watched him at Duke and some of his Philly games noted that on offense, he was moving quickly with purpose and solid footwork but on D it was like he was moving in mud.  It suggests that he can't be bothered to make the effort on D and that's a real concern.
- his offensive skills may not mesh with the system Brad runs.  While he does offer good post scoring skills, how does that impact the ability of the rest of the team to drive to the basket?  IT, Smart, Rozier, Brown are drivers.  AB cuts to the hoop quite a bit.  Does Okafor being in the lane clog it for them and/or allow the center on the other team a better opportunity to block or alter their shots?  This is something to consider.
- his attitude may be an issue.  His lack of effort on D, his displayed irritation with being selected by Philly, his offcourt antics -- is this an issue of immaturity that can be addressed or is this kid going to be a prolonged headache for whatever team he plays for?

I'm not against adding him for a reasonable cost but I wouldn't give one of our top assets for him since he doesn't move the needle for this team in terms of pushing us to contention for the title.  He'd really just be another asset with which to land an all-star player in a deal.  I'd prefer to keep the top assets we have to land a bigger fish -- one that's more established as an all-star, preferably without mental/emotional baggage.
tp for a good post slam. this sums much of it for me as well. it is not a case of not wanting okafur at all, or thinking he is a no talent bum. our take is more nuanced than that.

for a price that does not include top picks, players, etc. okafur is appealing. but his limitations make me think he would not be a good fit wit CBS and the celtics.

i too think the celtics could get a player who would help them more.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2016, 09:36:54 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

I'm hopeful that DA can get the right package together to pull it off and then bring McHale in as a big man coach. DA did offer him a job, and McHale said he wouldn't mind being back in Boston.

The hyperbole thing is, well, BS. Yeah he played on a bad team that could inflate numbers, but he also played on a bad team that wasn't trying to win. So who knows how much he was being held back in either playing time, or coaching. I think he's a better passer than some give credit for. Hard to get assists when you don't have anyone that can shoot on your team. I think Stevens can make a legit player out of this kid and Horford would be a great mentor for him.
yet, while at duke, scouts said similar things about him. i am not saying okafur cannot change. but i am questioning the likelihood of it happening....and THAT is next to impossible to predict with any certainty.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2016, 09:45:14 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
It was only about 18 months ago that Okafor and Towns were battling for possible #1 pick.  We now know that the right guy went #1, but that doesn't mean Okafor hasn't shown some good skills that translate to the NBA game.  Clearly he has some issues, but at the right price I would go get him.  He would "make the Celtics better", a phrase that DA has used on many occasions.

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2016, 10:15:40 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
It was only about 18 months ago that Okafor and Towns were battling for possible #1 pick.  We now know that the right guy went #1, but that doesn't mean Okafor hasn't shown some good skills that translate to the NBA game.  Clearly he has some issues, but at the right price I would go get him.  He would "make the Celtics better", a phrase that DA has used on many occasions.

We don't know that.  We're one year into two careers.  Let's give them time.  That said, I would have taken Towns for sure at #1!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2016, 10:16:36 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

We don't know that.   We're one year into two careers.  Let's give them time.  That said, I would have taken Towns for sure at #1!
Yes we do.  Let's agree to disagree.

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2016, 10:19:15 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Not to keep the Rumor Mill buzzing: 

"Keith Pompey of Philly.com reported that a trade for Okafor is still the move "most likely to happen" for the Boston Celtics after a deal didn't wind up happening during the NBA draft."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2642770-jahlil-okafor-trade-rumors-latest-news-speculation-surrounding-76ers-star
That's Bleacher Report quoting a Philly writer from the Inquirer who in turn is quoting CSNNE.com (so effectively A.Sherrod).

Please, folks. Get a grip.

Oh A Sherod, what's it like being a clown? Wish he would do an AMA on reddit, so we could roast him

It wouldn't do any good, he'd insist that people get back on topic and ask about Rampart whatever poorly thought out idea he had
I'm bitter.

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2016, 10:43:23 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
For anyone who is in doubt about the potential greatness of this guy, Okafor, I would like you temporarily drop your preconceived notion about the guy and just imagine what a masterpiece a clay like Okafor could mold into with Brad Stevens as the architect.  Just imagine it.  He is 20...what in tha blue hell makes you think the guy can't develop into a defensive player you are imagining?

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2016, 10:58:54 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
For anyone who is in doubt about the potential greatness of this guy, Okafor, I would like you temporarily drop your preconceived notion about the guy and just imagine what a masterpiece a clay like Okafor could mold into with Brad Stevens as the architect.  Just imagine it.  He is 20...what in tha blue hell makes you think the guy can't develop into a defensive player you are imagining?

I helped lead the "anti-Okafor" campaign a month ago but I agree it has gone too far. My biggest complaint was with the price some of his advocates wanted to pay. The #3 pick + Bradley/Smart + even perhaps the 2017 Brooklyn pick? That was madness.

Now the situation has changed. We have the JBrown and he impressed in SL. We see after FA exactly what I said would happen - Brooklyn striking out on any good FAs - did happen. We saw that there was no mad rush for Okafor by other teams. We have an excellent interior presence in Hortford who can compliment Okafor's limited game and teach him the finer points of playing in the NBA. We know that Philly has an even worse overload in their front court that they need to resolve.

So I agree now is the time to make a deal. I don't know what that deal will entail but will have to give up something (not the Brooklyn picks) to get something. It makes too much sense for both teams.

As for Okafor himself, I have been and remain critical of his game. His stat line last year wasn't impressive as someone had to score on such a horrible team. Every advanced metric was so dismal that it's really not debatable that he was awful last year. But...

(1) Part of that is being young and I believe (unlike Greg Monroe) he can and probably will improve. I believe he has a great deal more natural talent than Monroe. I believe he has more limitations to his game than some, especially in the modern NBA, but I also believe he still can be an impact player in the NBA.

(2) Part of that is due to his immaturity, conditioning and motivation. This is a big question mark and this is why I don't want to overpay.

(3) Part of that is due to the environment. Philly was a horrible place to be last year. They were trying to lose (again), massive conflicts in the front office, no team leaders...it was a hell-hole and Okafor would very likely massively benefit from being in a different place.

So for the right price I'd be happy to have Okafor on the team. I think this could be a very good environment for him to blossom into a good NBA player.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2016, 12:23:56 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

The idea that Okafor cannot improve is absolutely ludicrous. Good post. TP.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2016, 01:28:27 PM »

Offline OHCeltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
I would trade Rozier,Young and a non Brooklyn 1st or 2 for Okafor

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2016, 02:22:27 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
I would trade Rozier,Young and a non Brooklyn 1st or 2 for Okafor

Bag of balls and Young for Okafor, but Young has to carry the bag of balls to their practice facility.