Author Topic: jahlil-okafor-trade-rumors  (Read 10774 times)

jahlil-okafor-trade-rumors
« on: July 20, 2016, 05:03:22 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Not to keep the Rumor Mill buzzing: 

"Keith Pompey of Philly.com reported that a trade for Okafor is still the move "most likely to happen" for the Boston Celtics after a deal didn't wind up happening during the NBA draft."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2642770-jahlil-okafor-trade-rumors-latest-news-speculation-surrounding-76ers-star
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

Re: jahlil-okafor-trade-rumors
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 05:09:19 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Id love to see him in green. Its tougher than it maybe should be think to find a trade that makes sense between the 2 teams.

Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 05:09:29 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

"Keith Pompey of Philly.com reported that a trade for Okafor is still the move "most likely to happen" for the Boston Celtics after a deal didn't wind up happening during the NBA draft."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2642770-jahlil-okafor-trade-rumors-latest-news-speculation-surrounding-76ers-star

This isn't a rumor, it's just speculation
I'm bitter.

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 06:02:00 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
He's basically Enes Kanter without the ability to hit the occasional 3-ball. I'd do a trade if the price was right, but he's not worth multiple assets.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 06:05:34 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

That's Bleacher Report quoting a Philly writer from the Inquirer who in turn is quoting CSNNE.com (so effectively A.Sherrod).

Please, folks. Get a grip.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 08:26:30 PM »

Offline EvilEmpire

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 02:41:48 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
...and the reality lies here:

...Boston doesn't want to get rid of a ton of assets for anything less than a star, and Philadelphia doesn't want to trade him merely for the sake of trading him...

End of story.

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 02:54:46 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
He's basically Enes Kanter without the ability to hit the occasional 3-ball. I'd do a trade if the price was right, but he's not worth multiple assets.

There is no "right" price.

No team with Okafor as one of their best three players will ever win a championship, unless it also has Lebron.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 03:40:16 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Still getting a kick out of people who have written off a 20 year old who had per-36 numbers of 21 points, 8.4 rebounds, 1.4 blocks and 51% shooting in his first season.

He's finished!  He might as well retire!  lol

Anyways... hopefully James Young can show enough improvement in year 3 to get some bench minutes.  Kid still might have potential.  A lot of us are crossing our fingers that 25 year old Kelly Olynyk will make a leap this season.

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2016, 03:51:02 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Still getting a kick out of people who have written off a 20 year old who had per-36 numbers of 21 points, 8.4 rebounds, 1.4 blocks and 51% shooting in his first season.

Anyways... hopefully James Young can show enough improvement in year 3 to get some bench minutes.  Kid still might have potential.  A lot of us are crossing our fingers that 25 year old Kelly Olynyk will make a leap this season.

Hopefully on someone else's bench, lol ;D.

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2016, 06:06:20 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

Glad I could return the favour and make you chuckle, considering the countless laughs I got out of your braindead drivel over the years.

But yeah, hyperbole and stats out of context, as usual.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2016, 06:52:11 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

I'd trade Olynyk and Young for Okafor. Glad to see you've tempered your opinion of Okafor's trade value.

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2016, 07:02:45 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

Glad I could return the favour and make you chuckle, considering the countless laughs I got out of your braindead drivel over the years.

What exactly is hyperbolic about what he said?  Kid is more than capable of scoring and he's only 20!  He fufills two things we desperately need, a center who can score.  We don't want Okafor today, we want him yesterday!

Wow, some people on this board...smh...

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2016, 08:19:04 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

What exactly is hyperbolic about what he said?  Kid is more than capable of scoring and he's only 20!  He fufills two things we desperately need, a center who can score.  We don't want Okafor today, we want him yesterday!

There are a lot of people on this board who will have egg on their face when Okafor blossoms. Hopefully Ainge is smart enough that he blossoms in green - but I wonder.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2016, 08:31:26 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

There are a lot of people on this board who will have egg on their face when Okafor blossoms. Hopefully Ainge is smart enough that he blossoms in green - but I wonder.
It's not that this kid doesn't have potential, clearly he does.  the questions are:
- will he be motivated to actually play defense?  Someone else on another thread who watched him at Duke and some of his Philly games noted that on offense, he was moving quickly with purpose and solid footwork but on D it was like he was moving in mud.  It suggests that he can't be bothered to make the effort on D and that's a real concern.
- his offensive skills may not mesh with the system Brad runs.  While he does offer good post scoring skills, how does that impact the ability of the rest of the team to drive to the basket?  IT, Smart, Rozier, Brown are drivers.  AB cuts to the hoop quite a bit.  Does Okafor being in the lane clog it for them and/or allow the center on the other team a better opportunity to block or alter their shots?  This is something to consider.
- his attitude may be an issue.  His lack of effort on D, his displayed irritation with being selected by Philly, his offcourt antics -- is this an issue of immaturity that can be addressed or is this kid going to be a prolonged headache for whatever team he plays for?

I'm not against adding him for a reasonable cost but I wouldn't give one of our top assets for him since he doesn't move the needle for this team in terms of pushing us to contention for the title.  He'd really just be another asset with which to land an all-star player in a deal.  I'd prefer to keep the top assets we have to land a bigger fish -- one that's more established as an all-star, preferably without mental/emotional baggage.