Author Topic: If OKC demanded we take Enes Kanter back in a trade for Russell Westbrook...  (Read 4950 times)

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
what would you say?

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484
Well, that would certainly complicate matters. But this post is assuming that Kanter has negative trade value, which I'm not sure is the case with the new monster cap. When you have stiffs like austin rivers making $12M then Kanter's $17M doesn't look so bad. OKC might be better off pawning him off on some desperate small market team that will give up a real asset. A contender might need him too, enough to dump a prospect and late pick perhaps.

And by not including Kanter in a Westbrook trade with us means they can focus on getting more assets for a proper rebuild, as Ainge would use Kanter's big contract as leverage to give up less. We're not the right buyer for him.

Kanter and Westbrook's salary combined would total almost $35M - we'd have to dump amir, JJ, bradley/IT/crowder + loose change to make it work.

we'd lose a lot of players, and, assuming we resign westbrook at $30M+, we'd have $77M tied up in horford, westbrook, and Kanter. that wouldn't leave us much space for the rest of the roster, even with the cap jumping to $102M the next year (NOT the original $107M that had been projected earlier by the media).

Doesn't look like a championship core to me, especially if we gut our young prospects/picks in the trade.

I think I'd rather keep the cap space and make a second big trade/FA signing.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Why would Kanter have negative value? He's 23, he gave you 18 and 11 in the starting lineup last season, and he's locked up for 3 seasons at about 60% of the max salary. Not his fault that OKC has Steven Adams to start ahead of him.

If Kanter ended up on the Celtics, he might find himself in the starting lineup by default.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Why would Kanter have negative value? He's 23, he gave you 18 and 11 in the starting lineup last season, and he's locked up for 3 seasons at about 60% of the max salary. Not his fault that OKC has Steven Adams to start ahead of him.

If Kanter ended up on the Celtics, he might find himself in the starting lineup by default.

I agree with this as well

Getting Russel Westbrook a top 10 player along with a quality center. I'd do it, and also depends who we give up. Not to mention, It slips Horford onto the PF spot which is a spot where he wants to play.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
... also somewhat shockingly to me, Kanter has made 40% of his trees in a nontrivial sample of 70 attempts.

*stare*
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Getting Russel Westbrook a top 10 player along with a quality center. I'd do it, and also depends who we give up.
Me too, but the problem is that it's rather hard to make the salaries match without including Bradley + Thomas/Crowder -- which I think makes it a nonstarter.

Perhaps the closest to acceptable would be something like this:
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=hxf9b4r
or this:
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=gpbjlad

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
If Kanter was added to the deal that'd mean we'd have to give up more. Kanter is a 23 year old who is almost a 20/10 guy. He's way more than a salary dump.

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I would probably work in a third team willing to take in Kanter and send out a matching salary (I feel like the Kings would trade Gay for him) to avoid having to send out too much
I'm bitter.

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
A 3 way trade between Philly/OKC/Boston would work in the following manner:

Boston receives: Russell Westbrook/Enes Kanter

Philly receives: Marcus Smart/James Young

OKC receives: Jahlil Okafor/Avery Bradley/Jonas Jerebko/Amir Johnson/Terry Rozier (would likely require some of our draft assets given the premium OKC would place on Westbrook)

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
With the 3rd team we could work a sign and trade of Zeller rather than relinquishing some of the parts from our current roster...

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Getting Russel Westbrook a top 10 player along with a quality center. I'd do it, and also depends who we give up.
Me too, but the problem is that it's rather hard to make the salaries match without including Bradley + Thomas/Crowder -- which I think makes it a nonstarter.

or this:

I like the first trade better, not comfortable trading BOTH IT and Bradley. My only concern is IT/Westbrook combo after the trade as both are very ball dominant players. In my honest opinion, I will trade IT in a deal for Westbrook before I trade Bradley. That at least gives Westbrook and option of drive and dish like he did in OKC with Bradley being that 3 and D guy. Actually now that I thought of it, Bradley might be a better SG alongside Westbrook as Bradley is better suited as a 3 and D vs what he has now in OKC with Waiters

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

or this:

I like the first trade better, not comfortable trading BOTH IT and Bradley. My only concern is IT/Westbrook combo after the trade as both are very ball dominant players. In my honest opinion, I will trade IT in a deal for Westbrook before I trade Bradley. That at least gives Westbrook and option of drive and dish like he did in OKC with Bradley being that 3 and D guy. Actually now that I thought of it, Bradley might be a better SG alongside Westbrook as Bradley is better suited as a 3 and D vs what he has now in OKC with Waiters
I find IT and Westbrook redundant, so I'd be fine putting him in a trade. Also, I'm probably comfortable with starting Westbrook and Smart, since Westbrook will have the ball a ton anyhow. We'll have to sign a veteran backup SG, but we can use a spot-up shooter (Eddie House style) either way.

Alternatively, there's something like this:
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=gql4cs8

But this means we're paper thin at C, and will have to put the likes of Bentil, Yabusele and Mickey in uniform.

*shiver*

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I think the Nets have enough cap space to absorb Kanter. I'm not too worried about him helping their win total too much. I think they are looking to add talent and take a flier on a guy like Kanter.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=jve4mpx

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I guess if we sent back Amir and Jonas that's like 17. So then our big three is Russell, IT, and Horford.

I suppose that's a decent situation. It wouldn't kill me

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Absolutely, he's a weapon off the bench, a better version of Jahlil Okafor.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers