Author Topic: What WOULD you trade for Okafor?  (Read 9562 times)

Re: What WOULD you trade for Okafor?
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2016, 04:07:53 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Marcus Smart or Avery Bradley straight up. (With any requested throw ins of second rounders or guys on the Hunter/Mickey/Bentil/Jackson tier)
TP
This.
I wish we drafted better at 16 and 31 so we could add them to the trade. I would much prefer Wade Baldwin than Yab and Wade would be a good throw in.

The best trade would be:
 Marcus Smart
Okafor

But Philly needs to get it done and everyone is super low on Okafor and how he translates to the current style of NBA play.

If we could trade Rozier, RJ, and etc for Okafor that would be crazy good for us and we could give Marcus more time to develop..

In the end if Okafor comes back and shows an improvement in his jumper and uses his 1 year of NBA experience to play better defense, well then the asking price would go through the roof....especially if he physically matures and becomes more conditioned.

This. Marcus Smart straight up.

Great value for us, parlaying an offensively-impaired 6 into a skilled offensive 3 pick with lots of room to grow.

Offensively impaired, defensively skilled net positive player for an offensively akilled, defensively horrible net negative playe4. Yup that's coach bo for you.

And your post represents the silly hyperbole all over this board about a one-trick pony. Smart is what he is = Tony Allen lite.

All the nonsense about his greatness makes me laugh. Not as hard as suggested trades for a player who will never be available, like Klay Thompson.

But close. Ainge should jump on the first chance to get value for his miss on Marcus Smart.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2016, 04:17:43 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Marcus Smart or Avery Bradley straight up. (With any requested throw ins of second rounders or guys on the Hunter/Mickey/Bentil/Jackson tier)
TP
This.
I wish we drafted better at 16 and 31 so we could add them to the trade. I would much prefer Wade Baldwin than Yab and Wade would be a good throw in.

The best trade would be:
 Marcus Smart
Okafor

But Philly needs to get it done and everyone is super low on Okafor and how he translates to the current style of NBA play.

If we could trade Rozier, RJ, and etc for Okafor that would be crazy good for us and we could give Marcus more time to develop..

In the end if Okafor comes back and shows an improvement in his jumper and uses his 1 year of NBA experience to play better defense, well then the asking price would go through the roof....especially if he physically matures and becomes more conditioned.

Great value for us, parlaying an offensively-impaired 6 into a skilled offensive 3 pick with lots of room to grow.

Offensively impaired, defensively skilled net positive player for an offensively akilled, defensively horrible net negative playe4. Yup that's coach bo for you.

And your post represents the silly hyperbole all over this board about a one-trick pony. Smart is what he is = Tony Allen lite.

All the nonsense about his greatness makes me laugh. Not as hard as suggested trades for a player who will never be available, like Klay Thompson.

But close. Ainge should jump on the first chance to get value for his miss on Marcus Smart.

Why is it that Okafor after 1 season is "far from a finished product" but Smart after 2 seasons "is what he is"?
I'm bitter.

« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2016, 04:19:21 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
TP
This.

The best trade would be:
 Marcus Smart
Okafor

Why is it that Okafor after 1 season is "far from a finished product" but Smart after 2 seasons "is what he is"?

Bias & agenda?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 04:33:15 PM by Donoghus »

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2016, 04:24:21 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
TP
This.

The best trade would be:
 Marcus Smart
Okafor

The media should take a ton of blame for the dissapointment smart has been. I don't care what hogwash they try to sell now they 100 percent called this guy the next Celtic pain guard and hid to rondo before rondo was even gone. Then had " the unction of Marcus Smart" special. It was embarrassing how much they pumped him up way beyond his abilities. They set him up I fall short. He's a very nice role player you'd love to have on your squad.

« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2016, 04:25:26 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Sorry about typos. " heir to rondo"

« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2016, 05:02:43 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
TP
This.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/sixers/Report-Celtics-more-likely-to-trade-for-Okafor.html

The best trade would be:
 Marcus Smart
Okafor

Diggles

« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2016, 05:03:26 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
TP
This.

The best trade would be:
 Marcus Smart
Okafor

Marcus Smart in his second season at 21 was already a better player than Tony Allen was in his second season at 24.

Mike

« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2016, 05:12:41 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
TP
This.

The best trade would be:
 Marcus Smart
Okafor

Marcus Smart in his second season at 21 was already a better player than Tony Allen was in his second season at 24.

Mike
The devastating injury Tony Allen suffered absolutely draining his explosiveness really makes the exercise of comparing their career arcs a bit useless.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2016, 05:16:24 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
TP
This.

The best trade would be:
 Marcus Smart
Okafor

Mike
The devastating injury Tony Allen suffered absolutely draining his explosiveness really makes the exercise of comparing their career arcs a bit useless.

To an extent although the TA injury didn't happen until year 3.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2016, 05:21:38 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Okafor doesn't fit this team, so I wouldn't even entertain a deal at this point.   Philly shot themselves in the foot in draft night, now that we have Horford that ship has sailed. 

Say what you want about Smart, but he fits our core and is one of the top 5 best defenders in the league.   I'd keep him around b/c he's proven a difference maker in big games.   That kind of contribution is hard to replace.  Should be improve his shooting, we will all be pleased Danny kept him. 

Noel, different story.   I'd offer Rozier and a raft of non-BKL picks.  Terry is legit, would kill it in a starting role for Philly. 

« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2016, 05:30:22 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
The ratio of trade proposals to actual trade value is so insane with Okafor. He is a solid player, perhaps even good, but he is not worth wasting your life thinking about. He really isn't going to move the needle for us if we get him. By a lot of metrics, he is marginally better than a durable sullinger. Why waste so much energy thinking about this guy?

« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2016, 05:33:33 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
The ratio of trade proposals to actual trade value is so insane with Okafor. He is a solid player, perhaps even good, but he is not worth wasting your life thinking about. He really isn't going to move the needle for us if we get him. By a lot of metrics, he is marginally better than a durable sullinger. Why waste so much energy thinking about this guy?
I definitely agree that the trade threads often go too far.
Having said this, a durable Sullinger with still three years on his rookie contract and the potential to improve is nothing to scoff at.

« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2016, 05:39:18 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Philly.com sports story today that Celtics and Sixers are talking about Okafor again.

I have the link but it won't paste. Sorry.

It says they were more interested in Noel before, but Johnson option changed that.

Story is a repetition of Blakely story, but writer probably has ties to Sixers. My guess is they are talking.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 05:52:27 PM by Bobshot »

« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2016, 05:43:19 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
Not Smart, Brown, Crowder or Nets Picks.

Pretty much anything else.

I think AB + Rozier + 18 Celtics 1st + 18 Griz 1st is probably an overpay, but I think it'd get it done.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2016, 05:54:07 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Not Smart, Brown, Crowder or Nets Picks.

Pretty much anything else.

I think AB + Rozier + 18 Celtics 1st + 18 Griz 1st is probably an overpay, but I think it'd get it done.

Might make sense Rozier would be involved.