Author Topic: Dion Waiters Qualifying Offer Rescinded  (Read 3967 times)

Re: Dion Waiters Qualifying Offer Rescinded
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2016, 12:39:00 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Because of the Nets picks, I hope he ends up in Brooklyn.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2016, 01:14:22 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I don't.  He's still an upgrade on Bogdanovich.  I'm rooting for the Jazz myself.

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2016, 01:37:36 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Pass with flying colors. Dude is terrible.

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2016, 02:24:28 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Can't we set our sights higher for someone like Westbrook?

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2016, 02:33:32 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
To give Waiters credit, he did perform amazingly well on defense against GSW, and definitely used his bulk to give Kawhi Leonard fits on offense when he switched on him.

While his shot selection is still putrid, I still believe he's a player that should be given a chance if he is willing to sign for an affordable contract.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2016, 02:35:27 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
To give Waiters credit, he did perform amazingly well on defense against GSW, and definitely used his bulk to give Kawhi Leonard fits on offense when he switched on him.

While his shot selection is still putrid, I still believe he's a player that should be given a chance if he is willing to sign for an affordable contract.

Someone's almost guaranteed to throw silly $$$ at him.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2016, 03:06:34 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I think the more relevant aspect of this is that I think this (renouncing Waiters' 12.8M cap hold) gives OKC enough cap room to do a renegotiation of Westbrook that would be big enough that he might do it.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2016, 03:19:07 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
I think the more relevant aspect of this is that I think this (renouncing Waiters' 12.8M cap hold) gives OKC enough cap room to do a renegotiation of Westbrook that would be big enough that he might do it.

To clarify, they did not renounce his cap hold.  They still have his Bird rights.  They rescinded the qualifying offer so that they have the flexibility to work out a deal with Westbrook (they can renounce Waiters at that time should a deal with Westbrook be struck), but at this point, they can still go over the cap to re-sign Waiters.

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2016, 03:27:06 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Does Oladipo not make Waiters redundant now? I could see him filling that role nicely, but given he's also more of a PnR player, maybe he would be better suited to be the back-up PG and primary ballhandler when RW rests (if RW ever rests, which in that case, would make it useful to keep Waiters if possible).

Also, I'd take a flier on Waiters. Obviously increases the log jam and will undeniably be dysregulated, inconsistent, and a locker-room negative -- just the player I love to root for. Our Nat Rob / Delonte / Ricky Davis replacement. :)
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2016, 03:27:12 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Because of the Nets picks, I hope he ends up in Brooklyn.

I agree.  I think he chases stats and makes that team worse if he's on it, which is almost ridiculous to say given their line up.  But still, he is free to go ahead and sign with them.  I think if any other team gives him an offer though, he takes it.  The Nets are a dumpster fire.

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2016, 03:56:16 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I'd make a play for him!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2652832-dion-waiters-qualifying-offer-from-thunder-reportedly-rescinded
And do what with him? Right now it's unclear whether he's better than Terry Rozier.
in cleveland, people complained that waiters only played the way waiters wanted to play. he was known as someone who would kill offensive sets by breaking off a play, taking over a possession, dribble for 15 seconds, and then take a poor shot.

great physical talent. not much of a team player. i am not sure CBS could change this, but then again, look at what CBS did for turner.
What did CBS do for Turner?  He came here committed to getting his points so he could have a big payday, and he did it.  I don't think CBS made him better and he won't make Waiters better either.

The league is changing.  Players are their own 'corporations' and play for themselves.  Pretty sad.

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2016, 04:07:04 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
I'd make a play for him!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2652832-dion-waiters-qualifying-offer-from-thunder-reportedly-rescinded
And do what with him? Right now it's unclear whether he's better than Terry Rozier.
in cleveland, people complained that waiters only played the way waiters wanted to play. he was known as someone who would kill offensive sets by breaking off a play, taking over a possession, dribble for 15 seconds, and then take a poor shot.

great physical talent. not much of a team player. i am not sure CBS could change this, but then again, look at what CBS did for turner.
What did CBS do for Turner?  He came here committed to getting his points so he could have a big payday, and he did it.  I don't think CBS made him better and he won't make Waiters better either.

The league is changing.  Players are their own 'corporations' and play for themselves.  Pretty sad.

Then why didn't Turner do that in his last year with the 76ers/Pacers if all he had to do was score his points?   If it had nothing to do with CBS, why did his career turn around when he got to Boston?

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2016, 04:15:16 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
I'd make a play for him!

Um, you know that Evan Turner scored less with Boston than he did before he came here, correct?  He took fewer shots per 36 minutes, but scored more efficiently.  His assists, on the other hand, skyrocketed.  He became much more of a team player, which was not his reputation before he arrived.

I'm not sure Portland won't regret the contract they gave him, but he was definitely a better player (not a better scorer) during his time here.

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2016, 06:51:36 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Agreed.  Turner made big improvements as a team player under Brad and the Celtics.  Anyone who doesn't see that is smoking some good crack.  LOL.  And it's still to be seen whether Turner will continue with that attitude under new coaching or if he regresses.  But he earned his payday by improving as an overall team player.  There's no way he gets that shiny 70m contract without having improved under Brad Stevens.

Pass on Waiters.

As for Rudy Gay if he would sign a 1+1 for our remaining cap space that might not be a bad pickup.  But I have a feeling he will get way more money on the open market.

I'd make a play for him!

Um, you know that Evan Turner scored less with Boston than he did before he came here, correct?  He took fewer shots per 36 minutes, but scored more efficiently.  His assists, on the other hand, skyrocketed.  He became much more of a team player, which was not his reputation before he arrived.

I'm not sure Portland won't regret the contract they gave him, but he was definitely a better player (not a better scorer) during his time here.

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2016, 09:31:52 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The Nets met with him when he was a restricted free agent and passed on him.  Not sure much has changed, unless Waiters demands are a lot lower.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip