Author Topic: Do nothing  (Read 18958 times)

Re: Do nothing
« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2016, 11:23:57 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I also really like Marcus  Smart.  I don't think it's some emotional attachment either.  I think he's going to be very good from a basketball perspective to go with Brown, Isaiah and Horford.  We add another piece or two to that we are in business but I would be careful.

That's good, because he wouldn't help from a hairdo standpoint, lol ;D. Why do you 'really like' Smart, btw?  What is it about him that people like so much?  I'm not trying to make fun of anyone, here, I'm honestly curious, because I don't see it in him.  Does flopping really do it for you, or something, lol?

« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2016, 11:26:13 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Marcus's shot starts going he is awesome.  He isn't westbrook but he is a guy who can play anywhere and put up numbers and not detract from the team.

I like him because he is a star player who plays like a roleplayer.  He is going to become more aggressive offensively over time.  He does so many things well though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laIXeC2mk2k

« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2016, 11:30:37 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Marcus's shot starts going he is awesome.  He isn't westbrook but he is a guy who can play anywhere and put up numbers and not detract from the team.

I like him because he is a star player who plays like a roleplayer.  He is going to become more aggressive offensively over time.  He does so many things well though.

Wat.

« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2016, 11:33:28 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

Wat.

The game isn't just about scoring points.  His offense is going to improve over time anyways. Everything else he does is star level. He's a throwback pg though like Dj ultimately.

I bet as far as winning and scoring plays Marcus had his handful of those anyways regardless of his shooting most games.

« Reply #79 on: July 19, 2016, 11:36:54 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
He's also super talented. He is a star player that way.  He is one of our most talented players if not the most.  His shooting has just sucked so far in 2 years.

Marcus will be fine. He'll have some inconsistant shooting but who cares. I think these first 2 seasons were a fluke and him just being young.

Here's more Marcus awesomeness.  I would not trade him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_ICWtUOW6A

« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2016, 11:40:42 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
I also really like Marcus  Smart.  I don't think it's some emotional attachment either.  I think he's going to be very good from a basketball perspective to go with Brown, Isaiah and Horford.  We add another piece or two to that we are in business but I would be careful.

That's good, because he wouldn't help from a hairdo standpoint, lol ;D. Why do you 'really like' Smart, btw?  What is it about him that people like so much? I'm not trying to make fun of anyone, here, I'm honestly curious, because I don't see it in him.  Does flopping really do it for you, or something, lol?

most young guys come into the league and hang their heads when they cant find their shots. They are practically useless to a team who is trying to win because they can do nothing else.. Smart is different, He effects winning in so many ways despite his shot being broken..  He is on the path to becoming a star, he is just doing it in reverse order.. Defense before offense..  He is the attitude and toughness that our team is known for.. 
And he has the clutch Gene..
People say he jacks up shots, but he just has the Stones to take those shots late in the clock after others passed up better shots.. this is why CBS leaves him out there despite the bad shooting.. He is a coach, he sees whats really going on.   

« Reply #81 on: July 19, 2016, 11:46:45 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I think Marcus's shooting will be an afterthought after this year. He was an inconsistant shooter but pretty good in college.  He's basically 22 years old and has had 2 years playing against nba level competition. He's going to shoot fine this year I think.

There is more a chance of Marcus actually having a break through year than there isn't which is the silly part. 

Even so I don't give up that kind of talent on a rookie deal. I think we have Marcus he is a guy we should keep.

Why trade a guy like Marcus?  There is much more risk in that then anything.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 11:52:15 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2016, 12:00:21 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Wat.

The game isn't just about scoring points.  His offense is going to improve over time anyways. Everything else he does is star level. He's a throwback pg though like Dj ultimately.

I bet as far as winning and scoring plays Marcus had his handful of those anyways regardless of his shooting most games.

I completely disagree, and don't insult DJ, lol.  Having said that, even in watching that highlight reel, the first thought I had was 'too many 3s', lol ;D. I get that the game isn't just about scoring points, but it's also not just about 'defense', either, imo.

He's also super talented. He is a star player that way.  He is one of our most talented players if not the most.  His shooting has just sucked so far in 2 years.

Marcus will be fine. He'll have some inconsistant shooting but who cares. I think these first 2 seasons were a fluke and him just being young.

Here's more Marcus awesomeness.  I would not trade him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_ICWtUOW6A

:o Umm, no.  Just no, lol ;D. Two seasons worth of offensive ineptitude, which somehow looks to be getting worse *facepalm*, percentage-wise, is hardly a fluke, imo.  Tons of players struggle shooting during their rookie year, but usually they get better the following season, and that's not the case, here.  I also don't get the 'just being young' thing, either.  He didn't come straight from high school, he played two years of college basketball, and has played at least 27 mpg in each of his two seasons, so he's not young in terms of experience, either, imo. 

What do you mean by 'super talented', btw, because I see none of that, quite honestly, unfortunately :-\. If Smart is the most talented player on our team, which he isn't, imo, then we're in big trouble, lol ;D.

To be fair, I don't have anything against hustle/high effort players at all, but I expected much more from a 6th pick in any draft. 

« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2016, 12:07:54 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

That's good, because he wouldn't help from a hairdo standpoint, lol ;D. Why do you 'really like' Smart, btw?  What is it about him that people like so much? I'm not trying to make fun of anyone, here, I'm honestly curious, because I don't see it in him.  Does flopping really do it for you, or something, lol?

most young guys come into the league and hang their heads when they cant find their shots. They are practically useless to a team who is trying to win because they can do nothing else.. Smart is different, He effects winning in so many ways despite his shot being broken..  He is on the path to becoming a star, he is just doing it in reverse order.. Defense before offense..  He is the attitude and toughness that our team is known for.. 
And he has the clutch Gene..
People say he jacks up shots, but he just has the Stones to take those shots late in the clock after others passed up better shots.. this is why CBS leaves him out there despite the bad shooting.. He is a coach, he sees whats really going on.

He does seem to hit big shots, I'll give you that, but I don't see how he is on any path to stardom, unless he keeps flopping without shame, in which case he'll likely become the next star of Shaqtin' a Fool, lol ;D.

His shot selection has been horrible since college, btw, so I don't see how you can pin his poor percentages on having to take bad shots with the clock running down all the time, because he takes terrible shots, regardless, probably because he doesn't know his offensive strengths, which I seriously doubt that he has at all, as of right now, unfortunately, lol ;D. Ugh.

« Reply #84 on: July 20, 2016, 12:08:46 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
I think Marcus's shooting will be an afterthought after this year. He was an inconsistant shooter but pretty good in college.  He's basically 22 years old and has had 2 years playing against nba level competition. He's going to shoot fine this year I think.

There is more a chance of Marcus actually having a break through year than there isn't which is the silly part. 

Even so I don't give up that kind of talent on a rookie deal. I think we have Marcus he is a guy we should keep.

Why trade a guy like Marcus?  There is much more risk in that then anything.

Only if we trade him to OKC, lol ;) ::) ;D.

« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2016, 12:40:13 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Smart, Rozier and Brown are going to be better than ET and get an opportunity.
Smart was repeatedly given the opportunity to take control of the second unit and we had to revert to Turner every time because he ended up so patently awful. Rozier better be ready.

This is just categorically untrue. He was never given the opportunity to "take control of the second unit," because he probably played greater than 85% of his minutes with Turner himself. Hell, virtually every game they came in together in the first and second halves.

How exactly is that giving him that opportunity?? Brad really liked that pairing together, and though it's undeniable that Smart would have more opportunity to grow without Turner always on the floor alongside him, Brad prioritized winning and the better overall unit on the floor than necessarily working on developing Smart.

Many of you are going to be blown away with how different Smart's game will be when he's not having to play with Turner all the time.

66% of Smart's minutes can with Turner on the floor.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #86 on: July 20, 2016, 12:48:23 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Smart was repeatedly given the opportunity to take control of the second unit and we had to revert to Turner every time because he ended up so patently awful. Rozier better be ready.

This is just categorically untrue. He was never given the opportunity to "take control of the second unit," because he probably played greater than 85% of his minutes with Turner himself. Hell, virtually every game they came in together in the first and second halves.

How exactly is that giving him that opportunity?? Brad really liked that pairing together, and though it's undeniable that Smart would have more opportunity to grow without Turner always on the floor alongside him, Brad prioritized winning and the better overall unit on the floor than necessarily working on developing Smart.

Many of you are going to be blown away with how different Smart's game will be when he's not having to play with Turner all the time.

He played nearly 300 more minutes with turner than any other player.

All 10 of his most common 5 man lineups included either Thomas or Turner.

He was not repeatedly handed the reigns to the offense. He was very rarely the main ball handler.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #87 on: July 20, 2016, 12:50:01 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929

TP. Obviously I was a bit high, but that's still a huge proportion of the time that they shared the floor together.

Where did you find that stat at? I'd really like to see the proportion of the time that he was out there without one of IT or Turner on the floor, or even Rozier, i.e. when he was the primary ball-handler or at least had significant ball-handling responsibilities.

« Reply #88 on: July 20, 2016, 12:51:05 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

TP. Obviously I was a bit high, but that's still a huge proportion of the time that they shared the floor together.

Where did you find that stat at? I'd really like to see the proportion of the time that he was out there without one of IT or Turner on the floor, or even Rozier, i.e. when he was the primary ball-handler or at least had significant ball-handling responsibilities.
bball ref has [dang] near every stat you can imagine. Click on lineups and then scroll down to 2 man combos and compare the Turner minutes with his total minutes.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #89 on: July 20, 2016, 12:51:19 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929

He played nearly 300 more minutes with turner than any other player.

All 10 of his most common 5 man lineups included either Thomas or Turner.

He was not repeatedly handed the reigns to the offense. He was very rarely the main ball handler.

TP. I think even just playing with Rozier without those other two would be a much different style, because they've both shared the ball-handling duties pretty equitably when they were at the 1-2 together.