Author Topic: Do nothing  (Read 18950 times)

Re: Do nothing
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2016, 09:15:27 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Doing nothing is probably the most likely scenario at this point.

Sure I would like a trade, but only if it is good value. I'd much rather roll with what we have, then go into next season with the cap space to sign a max player and a top 5 pick than force a trade to a team that is trying to screw us.

As to the weakness' of the current roster, clearly they are shooting and rebounding. I'm optimstic that we can deal with these internally.

Horford was a huge upgrade in the shooting department over Sully. On the aggregate, I expect shooting improvement from the group of Smart, Bradley, Crowder, Hunter, and Rozier. It will also help that we will probably be playing Olynyk and Jerebko more minutes than either got last year. If those two take more 3's than they did last year it will help our percentages .

As to rebounding, we really will need to count on our guards and wings to hit the glass hard. If we end up being even an average rebounding team, it will have a lot to due with contribution from Smart, Rozier, Brown, Bradley and Crowder on the glass.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2016, 09:20:43 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
a 30 year old Horford, signed here so we could Do NOTHING-?
Win The NBA title "No" but make the Eastern Conference finals and Grow. "Yes" I don't call that Nothing I call It something. All Teams have to win a series and grow.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2016, 09:37:50 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
We have a +\- 55 win team, one of the youngest rosters in the league and ANOTHER top 5 pick coming next draft if we stay put.

Only Celtic fans could complain about that.

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2016, 10:55:13 AM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!

Sure I would like a trade, but only if it is good value. I'd much rather roll with what we have, then go into next season with the cap space to sign a max player and a top 5 pick than force a trade to a team that is trying to screw us.

As to the weakness' of the current roster, clearly they are shooting and rebounding. I'm optimstic that we can deal with these internally.

Horford was a huge upgrade in the shooting department over Sully. On the aggregate, I expect shooting improvement from the group of Smart, Bradley, Crowder, Hunter, and Rozier. It will also help that we will probably be playing Olynyk and Jerebko more minutes than either got last year. If those two take more 3's than they did last year it will help our percentages .

As to rebounding, we really will need to count on our guards and wings to hit the glass hard. If we end up being even an average rebounding team, it will have a lot to due with contribution from Smart, Rozier, Brown, Bradley and Crowder on the glass.

This.  No need to trade for big name players who will be FAs next summer.  We need a year of development and to win a playoff series or two.

I would not even trade Oakafor straight up for Rozier.  Terry is going to be very good at this level, Oakafor is a younger Greg Monroe.

Do nothing until next summer!

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2016, 11:14:12 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
By doing nothing, I think we're good enough to make it to the ECF with a diminutive chance to knock off the Cavs. But man, can you imagine if we make it to the Finals??? Wouldn't FA's be lining up to join us then? Plus a top 5 pick!

When the heck does the season start?!?
- LilRip

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2016, 11:14:50 AM »

Offline WolfofCausewayStreet

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
At the very minimum we need a rebounding center, ideally who can protect the rim.
And I say we scrap Hunter and trade for Noel and Covington, someone who can shoot off the bench.

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2016, 11:31:35 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

This.  No need to trade for big name players who will be FAs next summer.  We need a year of development and to win a playoff series or two.

I would not even trade Oakafor straight up for Rozier.  Terry is going to be very good at this level, Oakafor is a younger Greg Monroe.

Do nothing until next summer!
Tp!

The one caveat I would add is that I am more than willing to trade a future C's pick, the Clipper pick or the Memphis pick to improve our roster this year (provided we aren't adding salary that prevents us from having max cap room next year).

Rudy Gay for a pick or Monroe for a pick would make sense to me, since I believe both will amount to expiring contracts.

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2016, 11:33:21 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Probably the end result

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2016, 12:24:05 PM »

Offline straightouttabahstun

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
  • That's turrible
This has been a great offseason. I won't complain one bit about a starting lineup of IT-AB-Jae-Horford-Amir. That's a HUGE improvement from last season. Our bench looks good too, especially if Terry's improvement translates to more than Summer League. If our bench players have showed development from last year than we don't miss a beat and have a better product on the floor. We can legitimately aim for the Eastern Conference Finals and that looks great to next year's FA class if we make it.

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2016, 12:26:21 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
We have a +\- 55 win team, one of the youngest rosters in the league and ANOTHER top 5 pick coming next draft if we stay put.
I think it's safe to take the under on this one.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2016, 12:50:39 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
If you were to set the over under what do you think would be a better number?

I think they will win 52-54 games as of their roster today, so 55 isn't that far off.

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2016, 12:51:44 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537
Agree.  As is I'm not sure the record is even better than last season's.  Might be about a 44 win team right now.  That goes up if they address their rebounding problem which is going to cost them more than any shooting issue. 

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2016, 12:55:45 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The main glaring need I see is for a big-bodied, traditional center... it's shocking to see how glaring this need is and how reasonable veteran bigs like Ezeli were.

The Celtics could use a fifth big who fills this role.  They to spend money on someone who would demand a bigger role than that.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2016, 01:01:50 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Agree.  As is I'm not sure the record is even better than last season's.  Might be about a 44 win team right now.  That goes up if they address their rebounding problem which is going to cost them more than any shooting issue.
How are they 4 games worse than last year after signing Horford? Do you think Horford/Brown is a downgrade from Sully/Turner? Do you expect some of our players to regress? Do you think none of our young players get better?

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2016, 01:07:56 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
If you were to set the over under what do you think would be a better number?

I think they will win 52-54 games as of their roster today, so 55 isn't that far off.
50, and even so I may take the under.

First, record is relative to the opposition. Even if you believe we've made the team better unconditionally, that doesn't automatically translate in more wins. Many of the teams in the East that we will play a lot of games with are better this season.

Second, this team has a laundry list of things to prove:
* Crowder needs to prove his offensive contribution was not a flash in the pan
* The bigs have to prove they can rebound the ball consistently
* Amir has to prove he can stay healthy
* Rozier has to prove he can replicate Turner's ballhandling and scoring off the bench
* Smart has to prove his three-point shooting woes last year were a fluke
(well, that one might be a longshot)

Sure, adding Horford is great, but it seems that the fanbase has to be repeatedly cautioned that despite his contract, Horford is not a transformational piece. Sure, he's a good player, an overall nice guy, and a clear upgrade over Jared Sullinger, but he's not going to carry you on his back to 5 or 7 more wins by himself.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."