Author Topic: Do nothing  (Read 18966 times)

Do nothing
« on: July 18, 2016, 11:33:17 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
This is the smartest thing Ainge can do.   We got Horford.  Too many players are paid huge contracts that don't necessarily improve our team or put us in position to win.  I'm excited for our team.  Isaiah, Bradley, Crowder, Amir and Horford is a formidable lineup.  I'm more excited for our bench and developing players like Rozier, Smart, Brown, jerebko and Olynyk.  the celtics have a good team.   We could use a star but I'm not willing to give up Smart or Brown to do that.  Smart in particular is getting cast aside in deals here where I don't think it's smart. Keep the nets 17 draft pick.  Unless we can add a couple stars without giving up our core, there is no reason to do that.

The Celtics are in position where they can be sitting really pretty with that 17 draft pick. I would possibly move that or the 18 for a surefire star, but no way I am giving up our core.

Smart
Brown
Isaiah
Horford

should not be traded.  Avery, Crowder and draft picks potentially to land a surefire star, but I would not move our core.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 11:38:34 PM by walker834 »

Re: Do nothing
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 11:42:29 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I will be genuinally upset if we move  Marcus or Brown.  DA has done a good job and underrated job as far as drafting the past couple years. We are soon to see the benefits of that.   We have the potential to see these guys start to pay dividends for us and trading them is stupid.

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 12:04:56 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
The team as is has a rebounding problem so that has to be addressed or they're going to get overpowered by teams that can offensive rebound - just like last season.  Bringing Zeller back won't solve it.

But I'd also like to not have to move any core players if they can help it.

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 12:15:03 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Wait for Philly to cave.

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 12:19:48 AM »

Online trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
The team as is has a rebounding problem so that has to be addressed or they're going to get overpowered by teams that can offensive rebound - just like last season.  Bringing Zeller back won't solve it.

Yeah, but if you trade for rebounding, your pace slows down. Unless you get Kevin Love or Blake Griffin..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 12:21:44 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
a 30 year old Horford, signed here so we could Do NOTHING-?
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 05:29:44 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 07:43:14 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics

and shooting as well.

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 07:46:52 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We can make an "Aingean" move that makes us better without giving up much I am all for it.

The Celtics are in position where they can be sitting really pretty with that 17 draft pick. I would possibly move that or the 18 for a surefire star, but no way I am giving up our core.

Smart
Brown
Isaiah
Horford

should not be traded.  Avery, Crowder and draft picks potentially to land a surefire star, but I would not move our core.

You can bet Ainge does not feel we have that core yet.   We have assets to him.   For the right player, he would trade his son.

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 07:47:04 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Yes, you have to protect your $113M investment.  One of the first things Horford said at the official press introduction is that his signing could help to bring other stars here.  Horford is no dummy.  He knows the team as constructed is not championship caliber.  Nobody wants Horford to be unhappy.

Then you have to keep in mind that Horford is no spring chicken and will start his career decline before too long.

I'm with Chris22:  Wait for Philly to cave.  Okafor is not ideal, but I don't see other options at this point and he WILL make the team better and will directly benefit Horford by allowing him to play the 4.  Perhaps get a star at the trade deadline (Westbrook or Butler)

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2016, 08:27:38 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
We don't have a core. I am totally fine with moving anyone not named IT or Al Horford.

Make this team better, Ainge. You can't do it through the draft, so wait out Philly - at the very least.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2016, 08:28:29 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Yes, you have to protect your $113M investment.  One of the first things Horford said at the official press introduction is that his signing could help to bring other stars here.  Horford is no dummy.  He knows the team as constructed is not championship caliber.  Nobody wants Horford to be unhappy.

Then you have to keep in mind that Horford is no spring chicken and will start his career decline before too long.

I'm with Chris22:  Wait for Philly to cave.  Okafor is not ideal, but I don't see other options at this point and he WILL make the team better and will directly benefit Horford by allowing him to play the 4.  Perhaps get a star at the trade deadline (Westbrook or Butler)

This.

Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2016, 08:37:04 AM »

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

Lol I pictured this when I read the thread title. TP for the giggles.
#JKJB

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2016, 09:02:58 AM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
At this point I'm all for doing nothing. It makes no sense to have young talent on a team and then bury them on the depth chart. This is the first year where I can honestly see Brown, Rozier, Hunter, Mickey, etc. get decent minutes to aid in their development... and that is as important to lifting banners as signing the next "star"; the Clippers are a testament to that.

The main glaring need I see is for a big-bodied, traditional center... it's shocking to see how glaring this need is and how reasonable veteran bigs like Ezeli were.

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2016, 09:03:07 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Do nothing? Glad to oblige. Heck, taking up space is my number one skill in life.

Oh......you meant the Celtics.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva