6 (13%)
John Havlicek
9 (19.6%)
K.C. Jones
0 (0%)
Other
12 (26.1%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Who is the best Celtic perimeter defender of all time?  (Read 10876 times)

Re: Who is the best Celtic perimeter defender of all time?
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2016, 05:02:08 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I actually rate Avery Bradley above Tony Allen, personally.

As an overall defender I rate Tony Allen higher, but this specifically says "perimeter defender".  I think Avery Bradley plays better perimeter defense then Tony Allen ever has.

« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2016, 09:23:16 AM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
My first instinct was to say Dennis Johnson. Then I went to his basketball reference page and was reminded of the career he had.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/johnsde01.html

6x All-NBA Defense 1st team
3x All-NBA Defense 2nd team

He made all-NBA defense four times with the Celtics.

And oh the by the way... MVP of the 1979 finals and 2x all-NBA selection before coming over.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2016, 10:32:32 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Ask Lebron the three guys he hated/hates to face

Leonard, Bowen, Tony Allen

Now the only guy that could truly neutralize lebron on the defensive end is Leonard. But Allen always gave him hell. And he is 6'4. 

T. Allen also is a magnificent defender against any guards. Steph Curry cant do much againt T Allen

AB also is a fantastic defender against guards.  Steph Curry again has issues. Dwade also

« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2016, 10:34:51 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
It's a great question.  DJ in his younger days especially was one of the best defenders in the league.  He came to Boston still in his prime but nearing the end of it.  He could guard anyone and if I recall, the reason they brought him in was to deal with Andrew Toney who absolutely killed the Celtics back then.  And he was successful.

Havlicek never got tired and part of his deal was running his own man ragged on the offensive end. The defenses back then were a lot different than now.  Zone was completely outlawed in the NBA and you stayed with your man though of course you had some 'help' defense going on.  But Havlicek was like a machine.

Gary Payton was also great in his prime but was well past it when he came here.  Avery is top notch for today's game as is Marcus Smart.  Both would have been terrific defenders in any era.

Same for Tony Allen.  Don Chaney has super long arms and was a very good defensive guard in his on right.

As for who's best....I'm actually going to say Smart.  The stuff he does when he's in his little zone...I've never seen that before and he does it without fouling.  Put him back in the hand check era and it would have been unfair.  He'd have shut everyone down.

« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2016, 10:53:57 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Now the only guy that could truly neutralize lebron on the defensive end is Leonard. But Allen always gave him hell. And he is 6'4. 

T. Allen also is a magnificent defender against any guards. Steph Curry cant do much againt T Allen

AB also is a fantastic defender against guards.  Steph Curry again has issues. Dwade also

Kobe also said TA was the toughest defender he ever faced.

« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2016, 11:04:11 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Kobe also said TA was the toughest defender he ever faced.

Rodman
Leonard
Bowen
T. Allen
AB

This would be a killer defensive unit

« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2016, 11:37:11 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Tony Allen. Old timers will refute this for sure but its harder to play perimeter D these days with no handcheck, lots of ticky tacky fouls and lenience in palming. 3 pt shooting is more emphasized so you have to guard a bigger area.

Tony Allen can guard guys that Bradley cannot- Lebron and Kobe included.

« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2016, 12:32:00 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Hondo was All-Defense 8 times.
I mean Kobe was all-defense 12x, 9x first team so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Same with Tony. He got on all defense teams because he became a starter in Memphis, he was just as good for the C's just limited in minutes.