6 (13%)
John Havlicek
9 (19.6%)
K.C. Jones
0 (0%)
Other
12 (26.1%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Who is the best Celtic perimeter defender of all time?  (Read 10875 times)

Re: Who is the best Celtic perimeter defender of all time?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2016, 04:53:11 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Hondo was All-Defense 8 times.

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2016, 04:54:06 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Of players I've watched enough of to comment on: (so no DJ, Hondo, or anyone pre-90s)

Tony Allen, and its not that close between him and Avery Bradley.

Oh of course I forgot about TA. But don't you think that he became the defenders he is when he joined the Grizzlies. He started to be on the All-Defensive teams from the year 2011, when he left us.
No, because he definitely showed flashes of his defense from time to time. Doc just didn't play him that much and he was frequently injured too while playing for the Celtics.
I remember Tony playing incredible defense on Kobe in the Finals back in 2010 (it still hurts thinking about it :'(). Easily one of the best defensive performances that I've seen from a player in a 7-game series.

Through 4 games Tony managed to hold Kobe to 26,6 percent shooting (5-19 FG). I was bummed to see him go after such a performance.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 05:04:57 PM by TA9 »
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2016, 05:03:44 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I've only been watching since 1984 but for me it's definitely between Tony Allen and bradley. I love dj but guys didn't play d like they do now. It's like night and day.

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2016, 05:05:05 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
Rondo in limited years was great.

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2016, 05:05:55 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I vote Tony Allen, because I didn't really see Havlicek play.

TA took on the best perimeter players of the opposing teams, and made it a nightmare for them.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2016, 05:06:42 PM »

Offline fubar089

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 11
Of players I've watched enough of to comment on: (so no DJ, Hondo, or anyone pre-90s)

Oh of course I forgot about TA. But don't you think that he became the defenders he is when he joined the Grizzlies. He started to be on the All-Defensive teams from the year 2011, when he left us.
No, because he definitely showed flashes of his defense from time to time. Doc just didn't play him that much and he was frequently injured too while playing for the Celtics.
I remember Tony playing incredible defense on Kobe in the Finals back in 2010 (it still hurts thinking about it :'(). Easily one of the best defensive performances that I've seen from a player in a 7-game series.

Through 4 games Tony managed to hold Kobe to 26,6 percent shooting (5-19 FG). I was bummed to see him go after such a performance.
TP.

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2016, 05:07:58 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
Bowen was barely a Celtic and I'll never give him credit. Faking your gonna potentially break a shooter's ankle is as cowardly as it gets. Dude is a straight up coward. My most hated player in nba history. I've never seen that kind of wimpy dirtiness.

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2016, 05:08:10 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

No because he definitely showed flashes of his defense from time to time. Doc just didn't play him that much and he was frequently injured too while playing for the Celtics.
I remember Tony playing incredible defense on Kobe in the Finals back in 2010 (it still hurts thinking about it :'(). Easily one of best defensive performances that I've seen from a player in a 7-game series.

You should have seen Hondo against Dr. J in the 1977 Eastern Conference Semi Finals.

In game 6, a 37 year old Havlicek played 48 minutes, scored 25 points and held a primetime Dr.J to 14 points on 7 of 20 shooting.

In game 7, Dr.J had 14 points on 6 of 19 shooting.

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2016, 05:09:28 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
It's tough to compare eras. I just saw an old 80's game and the guards are giving their man an incredible amount of space. It was shocking.

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2016, 05:11:18 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney

No because he definitely showed flashes of his defense from time to time. Doc just didn't play him that much and he was frequently injured too while playing for the Celtics.
I remember Tony playing incredible defense on Kobe in the Finals back in 2010 (it still hurts thinking about it :'(). Easily one of best defensive performances that I've seen from a player in a 7-game series.

You should have seen Hondo against Dr. J in the 1977 Eastern Conference Semi Finals.

In game 6, a 37 year old Havlicek played 48 minutes, scored 25 points and held a primetime Dr.J to 14 points on 7 of 20 shooting.

That's great. I've never liked Dr. J. All because of the fight with Larry. I always wanted Larry to kick his butt while he wasn't being strangled by another 76er.

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2016, 05:16:35 PM »

Offline passesofftodj

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 20
I can still see DJ crouching down and being pesky with his hands.  What a great player.  I only saw the end of Hondo.  Tony, Marcus and Avery are great too but I've got to pick DJ.

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2016, 05:25:00 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
The Glove.

The Glove came too late. 
I forget he even played for us...

I'm going with Salmon and Massed Potatoes!   
Diggles

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2016, 05:31:46 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219

That's great. I've never liked Dr. J. All because of the fight with Larry. I always wanted Larry to kick his butt while he wasn't being strangled by another 76er.

Holy mother of god, Hondo was incredible!
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2016, 05:40:44 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

Holy mother of god, Hondo was incredible!

In two playoff games where the Celtics were completely outmanned, an ancient John Havlicek shut down one of the greatest players of all time. It's a great memory.

I think the Perfessor should chime in on this one.

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2016, 05:43:44 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Easily TA