Author Topic: Educated guess, what's Jaylen's Vertical jump  (Read 20661 times)

Re: Educated guess, what's Jaylen's Vertical jump
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2016, 02:00:40 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
It's not cool that it's not listed anywhere. Makes me suspicious about how high it actually is.

He's 6'5.25" tall with no shoes with almost a 7' wingspan. 8'6" standing reach. This much we know.

I have never seen his head that close to the rim. Tp for anyone that posts a video of his highest jumps at any level.

A Friend of mine said he had almost Vince Carter hops, and I'm just not seeing that right now. He's an Impressive athlete, but right now I think he's a step down from the truly special athlete's.

More in the Kobe range of vertical right now IMHO. Please share videos to prove me wrong.
 I'll be searching right now.

For what it's worth, Kobe was a slam dunk champion one year - man had some pretty serious hops.

Oh absolutely Crimson. Not fronting on Jaylen's athleticism at all. Top to bottom he's a complete and tremendous athlete.

I said earlier he's a more complete athlete than Vince freaking Carter. He will be a top 10 athlete in the NBA this year.

Hopefully he becomes a top 10 player someday to match that God given ability.

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2016, 03:17:14 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I see a lot of Eddie Jones type moves and athleticism from Brown. My guess is 37" but long arms and quickness make him a dangerous dunker.

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2016, 03:47:46 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
I see a lot of Eddie Jones type moves and athleticism from Brown. My guess is 37" but long arms and quickness make him a dangerous dunker.

I revise my guess.

100" Vertical, he's been holding out on us, we will see him do a windmill from the three point line.

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2016, 07:17:24 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would say about 36".   It's enough, about same vertical as Wade.  But what he does have is some speed mixed with that allows him to knife through players and an NBA first step.

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2016, 08:08:00 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Worth noting that listed vertical leap numbers are really unreliable. For example, Doug McDermott recorded a better vert than Blake Griffin. Anyway, I think Jaylen's vert is elite for a big wing. Vince Carter was probably the best leaper of all time, and there are plenty of point guards who get more lift, but Brown is a freak of nature in his own right.

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2016, 08:19:22 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
It's tough to say because Carter was a 3 year player in college whereas Brown had only 1 year in college. Vince's vertical got better every year as it tends to do with guys at that age. While he was highly recruited (he was the FL Mr. Basketball) Vince wasn't all that special his freshman year. Like many young players under Dean Smith, he had to wait his turn and it probably benefited his game.

Found a pretty good vid of Carter's athletic development through college:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY_ydPl8i_k

Don't have a strong take but Vince looks more explosive than SL Brown in his freshman year, and far more explosive in his soph.

EDIT: Now watching VC dunk contest videos.  Good times.

TP for the find. I don't see much difference between Carter in those videos and some of Brown's highlights. I think Carter may be better from a standing leap perspective in those videos while Brown may have him a bit on lateral distance in the air. But any comparison to Carter is a point in favor for Brown because Vince was a freak when it came time to air time. If Brown even approaches Carter's vertical then that's a massive plus.

Now I have no idea if Brown will develop like Carter. But thank you for the video because it shows what I claimed - that leaping ability gets better as a player matures into his early/mid 20s. Whereas Carter was above the rim in those videos, his vertical there pales in comparison to what he achieved later. So trying to compare Brown now against a 22 year old 'Nique or Drexler isn't really a good comparison. Brown needs time and age to see how his physicality develops (if it does at all).
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2016, 06:10:09 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Just seemed so easy for Vince to Dunk it. Effortless jumper.

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2016, 08:29:19 PM »

Offline budMovin

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
It's probably not up there with the elite jumpers, but he is an elite athlete. He is explosive and quick. I compare him to a Russell Westbrook, who many think might be the most athletic/explosive guard in the league, yet he only has a 36.5 inch vertical.

My guess is it's like 36-39 inches. 
"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
                 -Gladiator

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2016, 08:33:02 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
It's probably not up there with the elite jumpers, but he is an elite athlete. He is explosive and quick. I compare him to a Russell Westbrook, who many think might be the most athletic/explosive guard in the league, yet he only has a 36.5 inch vertical.

That's what I was saying about listed vert numbers being inaccurate. Russ definitely leaps higher than that. I'll go with the athleticism that players display on the court any day over a noisy one-off measurement.

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2016, 08:37:12 PM »

Offline budMovin

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26

That's what I was saying about listed vert numbers being inaccurate. Russ definitely leaps higher than that. I'll go with the athleticism that players display on the court any day over a noisy one-off measurement.

Agreed. In game athleticism is way more important than workout numbers. Jordan Farmar has a 42 inch vertical jump and I wouldn't call him an elite athlete by NBA standards.
"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
                 -Gladiator

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2016, 08:59:52 PM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
About the only way you can get a very good idea is to see him block a shot at the peak of his jump. I remember reading one time that Michael Jordan had less then a 42 inch vertical on his dunks. I guess it just takes away that much from having to palm the ball and jump?

I had a low forties vertical when I was younger but at 5'10'' with a standing reach of only 7'6'' I had to jump 30 inches to just touch the rim. I always wondered why I couldn't quite dunk then I read how Jordan's vertical was reduced by as much as 6 inches on dunk attempts.

I think if you can see Brown block a shot with a few steps and then have something like the backboard maybe behind the block to reference then you can get a decent idea. I'm guessing that his max vertical is around 38 though with his standing being around 34.

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2016, 09:01:37 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Tp back at everyone that posted.

See if you guys can beat this clip. Pause at 1:35 seconds, he blows by Thon Maker, and gets about 6 to 8" below the rim with his head.

Next I'll search for Blocks, maybe he jumps higher there.
https://youtu.be/f3T-ul7PEsk

TP for the thread and this vid.

At the 0:46 mark on a reverse alley-oop, it looks like (tough angle, I know, though) that his head is  almost at the rim.

Rooting hard for the kid. Looks a lot better than in some of those PAC-12 Network games that I watched him on.

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2016, 11:21:21 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=_HiiFZbGvGc

Go to the 31 second mark, his head is at the rim. I think because of his long arms, he doesn't get up as high all the time, but he definetly can get his head almost to the rim.
#JKJB

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2016, 11:34:18 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=_HiiFZbGvGc

Go to the 31 second mark, his head is at the rim. I think because of his long arms, he doesn't get up as high all the time, but he definetly can get his head almost to the rim.

that was kind of cheating, he used the other guys shoulder for leverage

Brown max vert leap is 37-38 is my guess

Not as high as Marquese Chriss or Andrew Wiggins (40 plus) but Browns adv is that he gets off the ground really quickly. Which is more practical in everyday NBA games vs monster dunk over guys

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2016, 11:54:48 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Better than Paul Pierce's but worse than Kedrick Brown's.