Author Topic: Educated guess, what's Jaylen's Vertical jump  (Read 20671 times)

Educated guess, what's Jaylen's Vertical jump
« on: July 17, 2016, 10:36:38 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 It's not cool that it's not listed anywhere. Makes me suspicious about how high it actually is.

He's 6'5.25" tall with no shoes with almost a 7' wingspan. 8'6" standing reach. This much we know.

I have never seen his head that close to the rim. Tp for anyone that posts a video of his highest jumps at any level.

A Friend of mine said he had almost Vince Carter hops, and I'm just not seeing that right now. He's an Impressive athlete, but right now I think he's a step down from the truly special athlete's.

More in the Kobe range of vertical right now IMHO. Please share videos to prove me wrong.
 I'll be searching right now.

Re: Educated guess, what's Jaylen's Vertical jump
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 10:40:23 PM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
He's an elite athlete in categories such as speed, quickness, body control but I agree that he doesn't get super duper high when he jumps. Probably a notch or two below the elite leapers like Wiggins. Probably around 39 inches

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 10:40:42 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
A few of his transition dunks from college are mind-blowing, so just check out any of his highlight videos from college.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 10:45:20 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
TP - I have been thinking the same thing. People keep talking about how amazingly explosive he is, but even freakin' Nader has more proof for high he can jump on a dunk. I agree, Kobe is a much better comp for his athleticism than guys like Vince, Lebron, or Gordon. He seems like an all around great athlete (much better than Nader for instance), but that blow out a cupcake candle on the rim vertical just isn't there.

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 10:46:38 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
It's tough to say because Carter was a 3 year player in college whereas Brown had only 1 year in college. Vince's vertical got better every year as it tends to do with guys at that age. While he was highly recruited (he was the FL Mr. Basketball) Vince wasn't all that special his freshman year. Like many young players under Dean Smith, he had to wait his turn and it probably benefited his game.

So those highlight reels we watch of guys like Carter or Drexler are mostly from their Junior or Senior seasons and not from their Freshman seasons. With a professional training regime and a couple of years of physical maturity Brown may add a couple of inches to his vertical to go from "impressive" to "special". Or he may not. Wiggins seems to have added a couple of inches to his vert since he's been in the pros.

But even if he's not an incredible leaper, his overall athleticism is very high for a guy that young.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 10:52:34 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
Tp back at everyone that posted.

See if you guys can beat this clip. Pause at 1:35 seconds, he blows by Thon Maker, and gets about 6 to 8" below the rim with his head.

Next I'll search for Blocks, maybe he jumps higher there.
https://youtu.be/f3T-ul7PEsk

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 10:59:20 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
It's tough to say because Carter was a 3 year player in college whereas Brown had only 1 year in college. Vince's vertical got better every year as it tends to do with guys at that age. While he was highly recruited (he was the FL Mr. Basketball) Vince wasn't all that special his freshman year. Like many young players under Dean Smith, he had to wait his turn and it probably benefited his game.

Found a pretty good vid of Carter's athletic development through college:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY_ydPl8i_k

Don't have a strong take but Vince looks more explosive than SL Brown in his freshman year, and far more explosive in his soph.

EDIT: Now watching VC dunk contest videos.  Good times.

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 11:00:25 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Meh, I have no idea what Brown's official vertical jump is, but who cares?  Dude clearly has some hops.  It's fun just posting images so why not just enjoy?

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 11:07:14 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Great video and pictures - shows more than just summer league. Brown obviously has a lot of power to go with his athleticism and that should benefit him greatly in the pros (although he needs to learn how to finish through contact - I have no doubt he will).

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 11:09:32 PM »

Offline jv2764

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 27
This is basketball right? You want a high jumper? Dwight Stones ain't walking through that door.  If he does he's going to be old and gray.

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2016, 11:35:52 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
This is basketball right? You want a high jumper? Dwight Stones ain't walking through that door.  If he does he's going to be old and gray.

Get outta here dude. We are just having fun guessing are awesome athletes vertical, it's not measured so why not.

I'd say it's 38" anyway. What's funny is he's a lot more physically imposing than Vince Carter and Brown is bigger, faster and stronger at 19.

Carter had him in vertical though no doubt but overall I loves Brown's total package.

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2016, 11:56:39 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
 New highest jump. Top of the fro only about 4 to 5 inches from the Rim. Ok now he's top 3 pick worthy lol.

http://cdn2.newsok.biz/cache/r960-d4b7ce048fa1a6a3b682ebee52037223.jpg

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 01:07:18 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
New highest jump. Top of the fro only about 4 to 5 inches from the Rim. Ok now he's top 3 pick worthy lol.

http://cdn2.newsok.biz/cache/r960-d4b7ce048fa1a6a3b682ebee52037223.jpg

He's also leaning his torso to the left as well.  If his torso and head were straight his head would be pretty much touching the rim there.

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2016, 01:11:15 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
It's not cool that it's not listed anywhere. Makes me suspicious about how high it actually is.

He's 6'5.25" tall with no shoes with almost a 7' wingspan. 8'6" standing reach. This much we know.

I have never seen his head that close to the rim. Tp for anyone that posts a video of his highest jumps at any level.

A Friend of mine said he had almost Vince Carter hops, and I'm just not seeing that right now. He's an Impressive athlete, but right now I think he's a step down from the truly special athlete's.

More in the Kobe range of vertical right now IMHO. Please share videos to prove me wrong.
 I'll be searching right now.

For what it's worth, Kobe was a slam dunk champion one year - man had some pretty serious hops.

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2016, 01:26:00 AM »

Offline myselfonline

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 12
The thing about Brown isn't how high he jumps, it's more of where he takes off. For most of his dunks, he takes off pretty far from the basket. If he doesn't have enough hang time, it gives the impression that he doesn't jump as high because by the time he gets to the rim, he is way past his peak height.