Author Topic: Your Jaylen Brown Comparison  (Read 22736 times)

Re: Your Jaylen Brown Comparison
« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2016, 06:04:43 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
If he ends up a DeMar Derozan with better defense, I'll be all for it.

I think that's the best comparison I could come up with.

Exactly. I Dont understand the wiggins, mcgrady comparisons. Those guys scored/score more than half the time via jump shots, pull up jump shots

That is not Browns game. Not right now anyways

« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2016, 06:08:45 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
Ceiling - kawhii Leonard
Floor - iman shumpert

« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2016, 06:42:23 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Sounds like Jeff Green is a good comp

If Jeff Green is a good comp for JB then we should trade him as soon as possible.

I think the hope is that he ends up being a rich man's Jeff Green in a few years.  Jeff Green with better defense and more aggressiveness - which could actually be a star.

I really hope folks realize this is going to take time, though.  He's really raw and might shoot under 30% this season.  You'll need to have patience.

I realize the playing time may be limited at first and it may take some time but if the end result is Jeff Green I will honestly puke. Jeff Green bores me. It's like he goes through the motions but doesn't care - he's like a very rich man's James Young.
the thing is he could be Jeff Green minus the things that you hate about Jeff Green. Jaylen Brown certainly cares and doesnt just go through the motions.

I hope so. From what I have seen so far he does seem to have passion and intelligence. It's a good start.
He's not as good as Jeff Green yet.  It's something to aim for.   Green played 3 years of College ball and was likely further along than Jaylen as a rookie.   

I assume Jaylen is going to struggle in a big way as a rookie.  I hope he can do enough to stay in the big league, though.  He'll learn more playing with these guys than he will spending a season in D-League.

Is that the bar, now, for THE THIRD PICK IN THE DRAFT :o!?  Oh lawd ;D.

« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2016, 06:42:46 PM »

Offline YoungOne87

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 65
more athletic corey maggette.

great at getting to the line good rebounder never a great shooter.

brown is more athletic obviously

« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2016, 06:50:44 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
The Chief

ROfL...

Our buddy on Celtics Blog ....... ;D

Back in the days boys, back in the days...

Actually,  I was more like Stockton.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2016, 07:06:22 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
How about Rodney White as a floor? Just to be a Debbie Downer.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2016, 07:38:50 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
https://youtu.be/CzYb9bUVaMg

Check out some JRich highlights. I think Jaylen has all these tools and more of a heady, team oriented nature.  Averaged 17 for his career topping out at 23 or 24 one season.

« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2016, 07:43:38 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Sounds like Jeff Green is a good comp

If Jeff Green is a good comp for JB then we should trade him as soon as possible.

I think the hope is that he ends up being a rich man's Jeff Green in a few years.  Jeff Green with better defense and more aggressiveness - which could actually be a star.

I really hope folks realize this is going to take time, though.  He's really raw and might shoot under 30% this season.  You'll need to have patience.

I realize the playing time may be limited at first and it may take some time but if the end result is Jeff Green I will honestly puke. Jeff Green bores me. It's like he goes through the motions but doesn't care - he's like a very rich man's James Young.
the thing is he could be Jeff Green minus the things that you hate about Jeff Green. Jaylen Brown certainly cares and doesnt just go through the motions.

I hope so. From what I have seen so far he does seem to have passion and intelligence. It's a good start.
He's not as good as Jeff Green yet.  It's something to aim for.   Green played 3 years of College ball and was likely further along than Jaylen as a rookie.   

I assume Jaylen is going to struggle in a big way as a rookie.  I hope he can do enough to stay in the big league, though.  He'll learn more playing with these guys than he will spending a season in D-League.

Is that the bar, now, for THE THIRD PICK IN THE DRAFT :o!?  Oh lawd ;D.
i just mean this year.  We have a lot of players who can play.  If he struggles, they might want to have him get reps in Maine, but I hope he can stick around.  He'll learn a lot in practice going against pros and playing under Stevens.  It's not a lock, though.  He's really raw.

« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2016, 07:49:16 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

I'm not so sure about that Lar. While Green was considerably more polished but I think Brown is actually better now than Green was coming out of school.

Green averaged 17/8/4 his junior year per 40. Brown averaged 21/8/4 his freshman year per 40. No doubt Green had a significantly better shooting percentage but I think Brown is simply a equal or better player on the offensive end and I was quite impressed with his defense during SL as well.  I'm not sure that Brown will get 30 minutes per game as Green did in Seattle his first year but I wouldn't be surprised if Brown was around Green's 10/5/1.5 numbers that Green posted his first year.   

I wrote up a long post on why Brown found an ideal landing spot in Boston earlier. One of the points was that Brown offers something to our second unit that is sorely needed with the loss of Turner - he can put the ball on the floor and drive to the hoop. I think he'll have plenty of opportunity to do that and while I expect him to struggle (almost every rookie does), I think there's a ready made out spot that will fit his natural talents while allowing him to adjust to the pro game. I also have the confidence in Brad to make that happen.

Of course everything is predicated upon his performance at the defensive end but I think we might be pleasantly surprised how quickly and how much Brown contributes to this team.
If you're curious, here's what Jeff Green averaged his first Summer league:  19.3 points, 4.3 rebounds, 2.7 assists, 1 steal with 38%/36%/67% shooting

Brown's lack of offensive game will be a problem this year.  He might get there some day, but I don't expect he will be as good as Green was as a rookie.  Three years from now is a different story, though.  Remember that Brown is only 19 and very raw.

« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2016, 07:50:56 PM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
https://youtu.be/CzYb9bUVaMg

Check out some JRich highlights. I think Jaylen has all these tools and more of a heady, team oriented nature.  Averaged 17 for his career topping out at 23 or 24 one season.
I see a bunch of dunks here for J-Rich, not much else, though J-Rich could shoot the 3 (which Jaylen cannot, yet).  What I see from Jaylen so far, is an ability to drive to the basket and absorb contact.  He is much more like Paul Pierce in this respect, but obviously doesn't have Paul's shooting range.  Jaylen is actually reminding me some of Dwayne Wade with his fearless driving ability.

Wade vs. J-Rich:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE35KCfXTvQ
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 08:03:12 PM by Surferdad »

« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2016, 08:11:12 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Brown is 1/3 Derozan 1/3 Gerald Wallace 1/3 Jason Richardon

Nah.

Jason Richardson is a good shooter. He's not there just yet.

I can see the grit of Gerald Wallace in him. Active on defense, athletic and has the motor.

We agree on DeRozan due to the ability to get to the line.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2016, 08:16:04 PM »

Offline passesofftodj

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 20
Ceiling - kawhii Leonard
Floor - iman shumpert

TP, I think this is fairly accurate.  I don't see the Derozan suggestions and he looks nothing like MJ or Clyde. 

Winslow, Johnson and Brown all are similar...we'll just have to see if any of them develop offensively. 

Winslow was horrid last year analytically on O, which surprised me.  Jaylen seems ahead of where he was offensively coming in but behind in terms of D.

« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2016, 08:17:29 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It is too early we do not have enough data to compare him yet.

« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2016, 08:37:29 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
It is too early we do not have enough data to compare him yet.

That never stopped us before, lol ;D.

« Reply #89 on: July 18, 2016, 08:38:26 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145

I'm not so sure about that Lar. While Green was considerably more polished but I think Brown is actually better now than Green was coming out of school.

Green averaged 17/8/4 his junior year per 40. Brown averaged 21/8/4 his freshman year per 40. No doubt Green had a significantly better shooting percentage but I think Brown is simply a equal or better player on the offensive end and I was quite impressed with his defense during SL as well.  I'm not sure that Brown will get 30 minutes per game as Green did in Seattle his first year but I wouldn't be surprised if Brown was around Green's 10/5/1.5 numbers that Green posted his first year.   

I wrote up a long post on why Brown found an ideal landing spot in Boston earlier. One of the points was that Brown offers something to our second unit that is sorely needed with the loss of Turner - he can put the ball on the floor and drive to the hoop. I think he'll have plenty of opportunity to do that and while I expect him to struggle (almost every rookie does), I think there's a ready made out spot that will fit his natural talents while allowing him to adjust to the pro game. I also have the confidence in Brad to make that happen.

Of course everything is predicated upon his performance at the defensive end but I think we might be pleasantly surprised how quickly and how much Brown contributes to this team.
If you're curious, here's what Jeff Green averaged his first Summer league:  19.3 points, 4.3 rebounds, 2.7 assists, 1 steal with 38%/36%/67% shooting

Brown's lack of offensive game will be a problem this year.  He might get there some day, but I don't expect he will be as good as Green was as a rookie.  Three years from now is a different story, though.  Remember that Brown is only 19 and very raw.

Not that I expect Jaylen to be good as a rookie, but let's just keep in mind that Jeff Green has been straight up bad his entire career. Not just worse-than-he-could-have-been, but straight up bad. He has a negative career BPM, with subpar advanced stats across the board. His rookie year, his advanced stats were extremely poor--0.2WS, -3.2BPM, -0.7VORP. I expect Brown to have some growing pains, but I do expect him to make a moderately positive impact in a limited role. That's something that Jeff Green struggled to do even in the prime of his career.