Author Topic: Your Jaylen Brown Comparison  (Read 22729 times)

Re: Your Jaylen Brown Comparison
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2016, 03:50:50 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
One inch smaller len bias

« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2016, 03:53:34 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Sounds like Jeff Green is a good comp

If Jeff Green is a good comp for JB then we should trade him as soon as possible.

I think the hope is that he ends up being a rich man's Jeff Green in a few years.  Jeff Green with better defense and more aggressiveness - which could actually be a star.

I really hope folks realize this is going to take time, though.  He's really raw and might shoot under 30% this season.  You'll need to have patience.

I realize the playing time may be limited at first and it may take some time but if the end result is Jeff Green I will honestly puke. Jeff Green bores me. It's like he goes through the motions but doesn't care - he's like a very rich man's James Young.

« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2016, 03:54:21 PM »

Offline jbarnies

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 2
From a physical standpoint; sure. Mentally; no way.

I thought Jeff had a very bad tendency to be passive in games, hence why he disappeared a lot, while he still playing for us. Jaylen, on the other hand, is way more aggressive compared to what I've ever seen from Jeff.
It's funny too, because that was a knock on Brown before coming in, I believe.

Personally, I see the Butler comps some others have stated.

I do like the MJ comp as well :)

« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2016, 03:55:00 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

If Jeff Green is a good comp for JB then we should trade him as soon as possible.

I think the hope is that he ends up being a rich man's Jeff Green in a few years.  Jeff Green with better defense and more aggressiveness - which could actually be a star.

I really hope folks realize this is going to take time, though.  He's really raw and might shoot under 30% this season.  You'll need to have patience.

I realize the playing time may be limited at first and it may take some time but if the end result is Jeff Green I will honestly puke. Jeff Green bores me. It's like he goes through the motions but doesn't care - he's like a very rich man's James Young.
the thing is he could be Jeff Green minus the things that you hate about Jeff Green. Jaylen Brown certainly cares and doesnt just go through the motions.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2016, 03:55:31 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I love jaylen brown and think he is going to be a stud player regardless.  Ainge is silly if he trades Smart or Brown.

« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2016, 03:56:29 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

the thing is he could be Jeff Green minus the things that you hate about Jeff Green. Jaylen Brown certainly cares and doesnt just go through the motions.

I hope so. From what I have seen so far he does seem to have passion and intelligence. It's a good start.

« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2016, 03:58:54 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Young Michael Jordan.

Jaylen has an inch and ten lbs on His Airness (via wiki) but same body type and similar hops

Both selected 3rd in the draft.

Wiki lists Jordan as a shooting guard and Jaylen as a small forward.

Larry Bird was a small forward.  I'd rather see Jaylen at shooting guard.

Brown would do well to emulate MJ's obsessive work ethic

;D
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2016, 04:37:24 PM »

Offline JumpingJudkins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
Prime Gerald Wallace.

I don't think that's a bad comparison. Athletic, hard-nosed, unsophisticated offensive game. Wallace had a better basketball IQ, but he also didn't really play until his fourth NBA season.

Corey Maggette is also interesting, though I don't remember him being known at all for defense, which hopefully Brown can bring.

« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2016, 04:50:41 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

I hope so. From what I have seen so far he does seem to have passion and intelligence. It's a good start.
He's not as good as Jeff Green yet.  It's something to aim for.   Green played 3 years of College ball and was likely further along than Jaylen as a rookie.   

I assume Jaylen is going to struggle in a big way as a rookie.  I hope he can do enough to stay in the big league, though.  He'll learn more playing with these guys than he will spending a season in D-League.

« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2016, 05:20:59 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
He's not as good as Jeff Green yet.  It's something to aim for.   Green played 3 years of College ball and was likely further along than Jaylen as a rookie.   

I assume Jaylen is going to struggle in a big way as a rookie.  I hope he can do enough to stay in the big league, though.  He'll learn more playing with these guys than he will spending a season in D-League.

I'm not so sure about that Lar. While Green was considerably more polished but I think Brown is actually better now than Green was coming out of school.

Green averaged 17/8/4 his junior year per 40. Brown averaged 21/8/4 his freshman year per 40. No doubt Green had a significantly better shooting percentage but I think Brown is simply a equal or better player on the offensive end and I was quite impressed with his defense during SL as well.  I'm not sure that Brown will get 30 minutes per game as Green did in Seattle his first year but I wouldn't be surprised if Brown was around Green's 10/5/1.5 numbers that Green posted his first year.   

I wrote up a long post on why Brown found an ideal landing spot in Boston earlier. One of the points was that Brown offers something to our second unit that is sorely needed with the loss of Turner - he can put the ball on the floor and drive to the hoop. I think he'll have plenty of opportunity to do that and while I expect him to struggle (almost every rookie does), I think there's a ready made out spot that will fit his natural talents while allowing him to adjust to the pro game. I also have the confidence in Brad to make that happen.

Of course everything is predicated upon his performance at the defensive end but I think we might be pleasantly surprised how quickly and how much Brown contributes to this team.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2016, 05:24:51 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104

I'm with you here. I loathe Jeff Green and toasted myself when he was dealt. There are so many good players with less ability that give their all. Green may be a wonderful person but he has no heart and let's his teammates down. If he had any drive he could have been an excellent player.

« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2016, 05:50:22 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

LOL.....TP

« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2016, 05:56:12 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2016, 06:01:02 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
If he ends up a DeMar Derozan with better defense, I'll be all for it.

I think that's the best comparison I could come up with.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2016, 06:02:50 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Brown is 1/3 Derozan 1/3 Gerald Wallace 1/3 Jason Richardon